Join Early Retirement Today

VOIP and other free phone thread
Old 08-08-2019, 12:57 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

As requested by RunningBum, let's start a thread on phones. I am looking into a Google Voice free home phone as I just dumped Comcast and its VOIP setup. We want a "simple" single internet based phone for use in a common area when our cell phones are not handy. Suggestions?

Quote:
Per RunnngBum - A new thread would actually be appropriate for phone service, since this is 107 pages long and the title talks about cutting the TV cord. Someone looking for phone info later is not going to wade through a 107 page thread, and this thread doesn't need to be longer with off-topic discussion.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2019, 01:14 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think there are a couple of other threads on this topic, but the two setups that seem to be most popular are:

1) Google Voice number with an OBi device - this is what we have. It costs $0/mo after the initial hardware purchase and number porting fee, but we have no 911 service. We could get that for an additional monthly fee.

2) Ooma - has a $0/mo or $9.99/mo option depending on what features you want.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:25 PM   #3

We installed Magic Jack last December and have been happy with it. The device itself cost $35 including the first year of service. $39/year for the service after that, or $89 for 3 years. We were also able to port our home phone number (of 28 years) if that is of any importance to you.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:25 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
I think there are a couple of other threads on this topic, but the two setups that seem to be most popular are:
Probably should have put the words "cholesterol" or "travel" in the title and that would generate interest!
Old 08-08-2019, 01:26 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Where is the best place to buy this Obi device? I see some offered with another manufacturer's name on it. Are there differences or different flavors?
Old 08-08-2019, 01:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Where is the best place to buy this Obi device? I see some offered with another manufacturer's name on it. Are there differences or different flavors?
I bought ours on Amazon. We have the Obi200. There is probably a newer model now, but any one that says it will work with Google Voice should be fine.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:40 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The basic Ooma service is free but you’re still billed for taxes/fees. There’s a lookup service on their website to see what they’d be in your location:

http://www.ooma.com/

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:52 PM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
As requested by RunningBum, let's start a thread on phones. I am looking into a Google Voice free home phone as I just dumped Comcast and its VOIP setup. We want a "simple" single internet based phone for use in a common area when our cell phones are not handy. Suggestions?
I use my Amazon Echo Show for all outgoing calls now. It works extremely well. Incoming calls still go to my cell phone or my wife's cell phone.

We have no landline.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:26 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Polycom obi200 on amazon. Should be $49. If you need 2 lines get the obi202 for $10 more.

Working great for me with google voice. Best part is it’s free after you buy the device.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:36 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I add E911 service to my GV / Obi setup for $12/year. gv911.com. So, if you count that, then the Google Voice / Obi route is $1/month.

What I like about it is you can tell it to force people that are NOT in your contacts list, to say their name, then your phone rings and you press 1 to let the call go through. This screens out most of the idiot calls.

It is nice to have a phone number that you can enter when you order stuff, and for doctors offices, etc, that you KNOW they are going to sell the information, as opposed to using your cell phone number. For near $0 per month, it's a no-brainer for me.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:59 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdv2 View Post
Polycom obi200 on amazon. Should be $49. If you need 2 lines get the obi202 for $10 more.

Working great for me with google voice. Best part is it’s free after you buy the device.
Thanks!
Old 08-08-2019, 03:00 PM   #12

Don't buy the OBI 100 series, Google Voice is no longer supported, but you can still find them for sale. Polycom now owns OBIHAI. Here is the link to OBi where you would create your account.

https://www.obitalk.com/info/googlevoice
RetiredAndLovingIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:08 PM   #13

I have been using Magic Jack for the last 8 years and it has been OK.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Probably should have put the words "cholesterol" or "travel" in the title and that would generate interest!

Or you could have titled it "CHEAP or FREE phone service!", nothing brings out the LBYM crowd like those words!
Old 08-08-2019, 03:18 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the thread. I accidentally started the most recent discussion in the cord cutting thread. The above is a pretty good summary of what took place there.

I haven't taken the plunge yet, but based on what I see here and other research, I plan to go with Google Voice and the OBI200. I'll add E911 for about $15 per year.

We also discussed E911. To summarize:
- Old landlines automatically associate your address to the 911 operator. If you are having a stroke that affects speech for instance, they'll still send help to you if you can manage to dial 911.
- Cell phones also give location data, but it is rough and not exact. Assuming you can talk, always tell them your location first when relaying an emergency on a cell phone. (They'll ask too.)
- Google Voice doesn't support 911 services. They are upfront about this. However, the OBI device and your account allows you to piggyback a service that will support E911. The cost of this ranges from $15 to $25 per year, depending on the service.

We didn't discuss it much, but I believe part of the small charges that Ooma and Magic Jack have concern providing 911 service.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 03:53 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

For the record, here are the monthly fees for my zip code for "free*" Ooma. Yes, part of the charge is 911 service.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ooma.JPG (43.2 KB, 39 views)

Old 08-08-2019, 04:06 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndLovingIt View Post
Don't buy the OBI 100 series, Google Voice is no longer supported, but you can still find them for sale. Polycom now owns OBIHAI. Here is the link to OBi where you would create your account.

https://www.obitalk.com/info/googlevoice
Not sure I understand this post. Is only the 100 series unsupported by Google Voice? If so, what models (or equipment) is supported by GV?

Is Polycom OK to by for use with GV?

Thanks
Old 08-08-2019, 04:18 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not sure I understand this post. Is only the 100 series unsupported by Google Voice? If so, what models (or equipment) is supported by GV?

Is Polycom OK to by for use with GV?

Thanks
100 is old and they have put out end of support notices.

Go for the 200 or 202. Amazon link for 200.

I'd avoid any "renewed" devices listed on Amazon. This is their new, fancy word for "refurbished," or "crap that someone returned that is generally old." You don't want older models with this stuff.

Just to confuse things, Polycom now owns OBIhai, so you'll see the polycom name on the new models. But not every "polycom" will work. Be careful. Look for the ones that explicitly support GV.

Old 08-08-2019, 04:20 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
100 is old and they have put out end of support notices.

Go for the 200 or 202. Amazon link for 200.

I'd avoid any "renewed" devices listed on Amazon. This is their new, fancy word for "refurbished," or "crap that someone returned that is generally old." You don't want older models with this stuff.
Thanks!
Old 08-08-2019, 04:48 PM   #20

+1 for GV + Obi200. We've used it since 2013, first with the Obi100 and then switched to Obi200 in 2016. Great solution for totally free VoIP home phone service. Google does a fantastic job of eliminating spam calls.

We don't subscribe to a E911 service, but based on this thread, I might check out gv911.com for $1/mo. That's a good price point for me. The website seems kinda sketchy. Question for those who already subscribe... How do you test it? Do you call 911?