Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-02-2018, 11:57 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another I just thought of, The Orville (FOX). No word yet on when Season 2 will air.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

What new series are you watching?
Old 02-02-2018, 12:07 PM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

What new series are you watching?

Victoria on PBS
The Crown on Netflix
Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee on Netflix

That last one is hosted by Jerry Seinfeld. DW and I love it...
Old 02-02-2018, 10:08 PM   #83

About midway through season 1 of Justified based on comments in this thread. I like it and will continue.

The lead guy was in Deadwood and it reminds me how great that series was. Not sure why it ended so abruptly but for anyone interested, Deadwood is a great series. Assuming you can handle some seriously creative cursing.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:25 AM   #84

I'm watching a UK detective show called "Strike"

Based on a series of detective novels written by J.K. Rowling under a pseudonym. Set in London, the protagonist is a hard boiled gumshoe who is a disabled veteran. A bit noirish.

It is rated 7/10 and I would agree with that. Not particularly brilliant writing but the lead actor is very compelling. I believe they just released the third series.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #85

1. The Good Place. Season 1 was strange, bordering on the nonsensical, but I hung in there and binge watched season 2 to date and it's really a great story line.
2. The Good Doctor. The acting on the part of the lead character is great. The technical detail of the medicine is very accurate as far as I can tell with my laptop and google at my disposal as I watch.
3. Amazing Race because I'm an old white guy who likes shouting at the TV and the evening news just isn't enough any more. My sons won't let their kids in the same room with me if I'm watching the evening news. A half hour of national news broadcast takes me almost an hour as I record it and pause to point out the mistakes, fallacies, cleverly crafted wording that says one thing but implies something totally the opposite, and out right fake news. My wife, God bless her, is very patient to listen to my rants. When asked why I watch if it gets me so fired up, I tell them it's so I keep up with what the enemy is up to. Eyes roll and I am once again left alone to finish watching the news.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:07 AM   #86
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
I'm watching a UK detective show called "Strike"

Based on a series of detective novels written by J.K. Rowling under a pseudonym. Set in London, the protagonist is a hard boiled gumshoe who is a disabled veteran. A bit noirish.

It is rated 7/10 and I would agree with that. Not particularly brilliant writing but the lead actor is very compelling. I believe they just released the third series.

On what platform, the Strike books are great reads...
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:29 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
On what platform, the Strike books are great reads...
I've just been watching them "on the internet"

Apparently they are all going to be released in the States in June on Cinemax.
All three series that is (based on the three books)

I've just watched the second series. Still very good. The actor playing Cormoran Strike is very good.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:50 PM   #88

Everwood on Hulu. Good family show, no cursing, obligatory sex, etc. Just a single dad trying to deal with his 2 kids. Actually more complicated than that but really good.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:25 PM   #89

Third week trying to watch the new series "The Alienist"...ready to give up. Anyone else watching this series?
splitwdw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:28 PM   #90
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Vikings on the History Channel. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/vikings_2013
It's not new unless referring to streaming. Characters do get confusing to me.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:36 PM   #91
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
So how come these waves of blond-haired blue-eyed people kept invading the rest of Europe? There were plenty of tribes from Scandinavia that spread out across Europe well before the Viking age of 700-1100AD.
Well, I think that's where the blue eyes/light skin mutation(s) occurred & not too many K years ago. So when they invaded elsewhere in Europe, that's what they were.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:55 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Third week trying to watch the new series "The Alienist"...ready to give up. Anyone else watching this series?
I'm also giving up on this one. The scenes are so darkly lit that I can't figure out what's happening half the time. Even if that's accurate to the period before electric light, it's making watching it into more of a chore than I care for.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:01 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

The short clips ads did not get me interested... so I gave up before it even started...

Sounds to me like I made a good decision....
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:07 PM   #94
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
DH checked the book out of the library after the first episode—he said the book was really good. He might finish watching the series, though.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:21 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Hulu. Brockmire. Bad language; well spoken. Extreme sexual activity; little nudity. Baseball - maybe? Internet. Seedy bars. Poor town being destroyed by fracking. Cracks me up. Too easy to just keep watching, but only eight episodes.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:40 PM   #96

Pinky Blinders (great show if you can understand them). Only six episodes per season. On Netflix
Old 02-14-2018, 04:46 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Not new but "Ashes to ashes" and "Line of Duty" and "Life on Mars" and "Shetland" and "The Tunnel" and "Luther" and "Sherlock" and "Broadchurch" and "Ripper Street" and "River" and "Happy Valley" to name but a few. And of Course "Sweeney" and "Prime Suspect" and "Grantchester" and "No Offence" to name a few more.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:07 PM   #98
Moderator Emeritus

We just watched the first three seasons of Line of Duty, on Acorn, and then the fourth current season on DVD from the library. Soooo good! We started Acceptable Risk, also Acorn, last night.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:55 PM   #99
Full time employment: Posting here.

Altered Carbon. It’s an homage to 80s noir sci-fi. Think Bladerunner with literal cameos from the MaxHeadroom guy.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:31 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
The short clips ads did not get me interested... so I gave up before it even started...

Sounds to me like I made a good decision....
The short clip ads were a warning for me to stay away. Glad I did. Learned my lesson from Mr Robot about getting invested in these shows too early. Too many better things to do besides watching tv.

Waiting for Billions to return March 25th
Waiting for Animal Kingdom to return.
Waiting for The Last Ship to return. Not expecting too much after too excellent and one decent season.