Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-14-2018, 11:58 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
The short clip ads were a warning for me to stay away. Glad I did. Learned my lesson from Mr Robot about getting invested in these shows too early. Too many better things to do besides watching tv.

Waiting for Billions to return March 25th
Waiting for Animal Kingdom to return.
Waiting for The Last Ship to return. Not expecting too much after too excellent and one decent season.
I actually like Mr Robot...

Agree with Last Ship... might not be as good as the first season...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2018, 01:39 AM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm typically late to the game, I only started watching Breaking Bad and Justified after the series was already over, both are really good. Just finished up the first 3 seasons of Better Call Saul, also very good. It's a prequel to Breaking Bad so you'll see many of the same characters popping up, suggest watching Breaking Bad first if you're new to both. I have been watching Vikings since the beginning, agree with others that it's an excellent series.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:31 AM   #103
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
We just watched the first three seasons of Line of Duty, on Acorn, and then the fourth current season on DVD from the library. Soooo good! We started Acceptable Risk, also Acorn, last night.
We’re thumbs-downing Acceptable Risk after watching half of it (we’ll still finish watching the full season). So much repetitive talking, not a lot of tension, we realized we just don’t care if the main character ever finds who is responsible for the murder of the main character’s second husband.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:36 AM   #104
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well I guess I will admit to binge watching on Netflix Shameless, Chicago Based, and well it is really Shameless. William Masey Plays the lead role started in 2011 and is in season 8 I believe so there's lot to watch, currently on season 4
capjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have become seriously disenamored with modern fictional TV series and I don't follow any of them any more. They bore me and often seem preachy to me as well.
OK, F identified a series on Amazon Prime Video that he thought I might like, and I do. It's not fiction, but more in the "true crime" category.

"LA: City of Demons" is the name of the series, and it is hosted by James Ellroy, 69 year old author of LA Confidential and other books. There are only six episodes in the series and we watched them all this week. It was fascinating - - serial killers, gangsters, all sorts of interesting historical crimes in Los Angeles.

James Ellroy himself is nearly as interesting as the crimes; he's an odd and fascinating individual whose own mother was brutally murdered in LA when he was just 10, and the murder was never solved. His resulting personal interest in crimes, criminals, and investigations makes the series that much more riveting. He is honest almost to a fault, and holds nothing back including his own emotional reaction to his mother's murder.

Anyway, I like almost no television or movies but this series was great IMO.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:50 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
I'm also giving up on this one. The scenes are so darkly lit that I can't figure out what's happening half the time. Even if that's accurate to the period before electric light, it's making watching it into more of a chore than I care for.
You're right, the lighting is very poor and I have excellent eye sight. There also seem to be so many side stories. I don't like when the doctor whispers to his buddy. It's not a stage whisper. I have to turn up the TV volume to hear it and miss part of the conversation. Don't care for the closed caption when characters are speaking a foreign language. Wasn't expecting it and missed that part of the conversation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
The short clips ads did not get me interested... so I gave up before it even started...

Sounds to me like I made a good decision....
We saw so many ads before the show started that we commented about all the ads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
DH checked the book out of the library after the first episode—he said the book was really good. He might finish watching the series, though.
Does your husband like the TV series?

I think I know who the murderer is and that's disappointing.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:11 PM   #107

Love Fargo, American Crime, True Detective, The Killing, Peaky Blinders, Billions, American Gods, Vikings, Hand of God. I will watch LA City of Demons, thank you for that one.

Actually, DH and I used to go to the movies twice/week for years. Now, TV has out classed the movies. The characters are developed so well, the plots twist and turn, keeps you guessing, if you can find the right series. "Breaking Bad" started my addiction to TV series. I saw it on Netflix, I think, without commercials and several seasons at a time. I cannot stand waiting a week for a new show anymore and certainly cannot stand commercials interrupting my zen like attention.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:25 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
Love Fargo, American Crime, True Detective, The Killing, Peaky Blinders, Billions, American Gods, Vikings, Hand of God. I will watch LA City of Demons, thank you for that one.
Oh good! I hope you like it as much as I did. I am so insanely picky about what shows I watch, but this one is right up my alley.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:16 PM   #109

Recently:

CBS:

American Gothic (catchup)
Star Trek Discovery (finished up)

NBC:

Law and Order SVU - latest season

Fox:

The Orville (finished season 1)

HBO:

Game of Thrones (waiting for final season)
Westworld (waiting for season 2)

Showtime:

Ray Donovan - All caught up waiting for season 6
Homeland - waiting for new season

FX:

American Crime Story (latest season Versace murder)
American Horror Story

Comedy Central:

Southpark (latest season)

TNT:

The Alienist

NetFlix:

Black Mirror
Planet Earth II
MindHunter
American Vandal
Ozark
Stranger Things
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:48 AM   #110
Give me a forum ...

I see American Greed is (finally) going to air some new episodes starting 2/26 on CNBC. 1st episode is on Martin Shkreli.

This thread makes me want to go back and watch Justified again.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:49 AM   #111

Not new, but new to me, Roots, airing on Sundance. Never watched it when it came out, 40 years ago.

Also, we didn't renew HBO, but I had a chance to binge watch all 7 episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm on an American Airlines flight to the mainland. Pretty, pretty, pretty good.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:19 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
Waiting for Billions to return March 25th
Great news! Love that series.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:30 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

'Trust'.....a new series on FX that is based in the JP Getty family in the early 70's. I'm only 2 episodes in but has my attention so far. Boy...Donald Sutherland is looking old.

Official Trailer from Trust (2018-)
Old 04-16-2018, 03:39 PM   #114
Recycles dryer sheets

Justified was great and was must-watch TV for me while it was running.

Two that I didn't see mentioned are:

The Expanse https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/the_expanse/

Colony https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/colony

My DVR is set to catch all new episodes.

I really liked the various Fargo mini-series and Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead. I am looking forward to the cross-pollination as Morgan sets out on his own and eventually bumps into the Fear the Walking Dead group.

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:20 PM   #115

Billions and Homeland on Shotime. I am awaiting Animal Kingdom on TNT. New episodes start next montn.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:32 PM   #116

I'm really enjoying Instinct on CBS.
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:29 AM   #117

The Terror
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:44 AM   #118
Recycles dryer sheets

I am trying to get into The Crossing on ABC. I really like the premise and I am a fan of the main character (town sheriff). Time will tell if it holds me.

Retired June 1, 2018

RE AA 65/35
Ed B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:50 AM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Billions...

I found a new hero with Bobby Axelrod now that JR Ewing (Dallas) is gone.

Also, waiting for the new House Of Cards series to come out on DVD's now.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:56 AM   #120

I'm watching a new HBO dark comedy series called Barry starring Bill Hader and Henry Winkler. Barry is a Marine now back in civilian life who makes use of his marksman expertise to become a free-lance hitman. But while in L.A. for a hit, he gets involved in an acting class taught by Winkler's character and decides he doesn't want to be a hitman anymore. Of course, he gets drawn back into it as he gets increasingly entangled with Chechen mobsters. Anyone who liked Dexter or Breaking Bad would probably like this one although it's clearly more comedic than the other two.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote