Join Early Retirement Today

What new series are you watching?
Old 01-28-2018, 09:57 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

What new series are you watching?

I have been a fan of so many classic series it would fill a book. From the 50's to the 90's. Yet I really can't name any series or program that has grabbed my attention in at least the last ten years. So with all that said what new or recent series is anyone watching or would recommend giving it a try?

I am a bit tired of the old shows and would like to think there is something worth while I am missing. It could be comedy, drama, adventure, I don't care as long as it is entertaining and on a cable network or regular OTA TV network. Any suggestions?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2018, 10:01 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Vikings on the History Channel. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/vikings_2013

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:07 AM   #3

Electric Dreams on Amazon. Stand alone episodes. Sort of Alfred Hitchcock meets artificial intelligence and virtual reality. Pretty cool.

Hit or miss on plot lines, tho, IMHO. I liked about 6 of the 10 available.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:20 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've been watching Victoria on PBS lately and it's interesting, even though I generally don't like 'period' pieces. There are tons of good lists of best or most popular TV shows online, just search and see what interests you.

Many of the most popular TV series these days are not on cable/satellite or OTA, and that seems unlikely to change. They're on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO, Showtime, etc.

And though evidently outside the OP's 'cable or OTA' or 'series' prerequisites, I find myself subscribed to about 20 YouTube channels and watch YouTube as often as broadcast or on demand television. Some people don't realize how much quality content content is there, easily tailored to individual tastes. When 'there's nothing good on TV, I'm on YouTube or the TV is off.'

Changing landscape, for the better IME. FWIW

Edit: Note that many of the suggestions you are getting are not available on cable or OTA.

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:27 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I need to check out The Vikings. I have added Bull to my must watch list and am also watching Victoria. I am wondering if the details of incidents in the Victoria story are factual or a script writer's creation.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:30 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
...am also watching Victoria. I am wondering if the details of incidents in the Victoria story are factual or a script writer's creation.
Yes to both, as is the case with most 'based on actual events' shows. As the story begins 180 years ago, there is no way even Victoria's life was captured in the detail that appears in the show, so some dramatic license had to be taken. The major milestones are presumably accurate, most everything in between would have to be best guess and what works for drama?

https://www.romper.com/p/how-histori...he-facts-30318

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash - radically changed Nov 2018
Old 01-28-2018, 10:30 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't watch very much TV, but here are four shows I always try to catch:

Elementary (the new season hasn't started yet)
Supernatural
The X-Files (yes, it's back on)
Blindspot

I should probably add The Big Bang Theory to the list...
“It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” - Hugh Laurie
mistermike40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:34 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermike40 View Post
I don't watch very much TV, but here are four shows I always try to catch:

Elementary (the new season hasn't started yet)
Supernatural
The X-Files (yes, it's back on)
Blindspot

I should probably add The Big Bang Theory to the list...
I didn't realize Elementary was coming back (evidently Apr), clever show. Thanks!

Old 01-28-2018, 10:40 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
Electric Dreams on Amazon. Stand alone episodes. Sort of Alfred Hitchcock meets artificial intelligence and virtual reality. Pretty cool.

Hit or miss on plot lines, tho, IMHO. I liked about 6 of the 10 available.
So far I have watched two of the ten episodes. The first was so-so, the 2nd was pretty good (What happens after nuclear war devastates the world but A*****'s automated factories keep sending out packages?)
Old 01-28-2018, 10:47 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you have been out for 10 years....Breaking Bad. AMC is doing a 10th year anniversary marathon. Very very good show

Netflix Peaky Blinders. 1800's Britain gang from Birgingham. Have no idea if it is factual. But pretty good show. Although the last season wrap up seems like they may have jumped the shark a bit

Netflix Longmire. Friend of ours is one of the leading roles (Katee Sackhoff) I was a half dozen shows in before it clicked for me. But I enjoy Westerns.
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:50 AM   #11

OTA - "The Good Doctor" and "This Is Us". I also give +1 to "Victoria" but I like period shows - especially about the English monarchy.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:17 AM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

So much good content if you can open the door to streaming.

Breaking Bad, Sopranos, The Wire, Game of Thrones
Vikings
House of Cards, The Americans, True Detective, Homeland, Rectify
Longmire
Outlander, Poldark
Stranger Things, The OA
Downton Abbey, A Place to Call Home, 800 Words, Janet King
Victoria, The Crown
Narcos
Sherlock
Dexter
Big Little Lies, This is Us
Ozark, Mindhunter
Death in Paradise
Fargo
Orange is the New Black
Mad Men
The Good Wife
Bloodline, Lillyhammer, Alias Grace
OldConch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:22 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I have become seriously disenamored with modern fictional TV series and I don't follow any of them any more. They bore me and often seem preachy to me as well.

--- Admiral David Farragut during the battle of Mobile Bay, paraphrased
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:04 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I consider myself a woodsman and have done a fair amount of wilderness canoe camping. I like “Life Below Zero” and my favorite is Chandalar.
IMG_0941.jpg
dasranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:22 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasranger View Post
I consider myself a woodsman and have done a fair amount of wilderness canoe camping. I like “Life Below Zero” and my favorite is Chandalar.
Attachment 27704
Nag Geo reminds me to mention Genius last year, the first series was on Einstein over 9 episodes - we thought it was outstanding. Evidently the next Genius will be on Picasso, starting Apr 24 on cable/satellite and streaming.

Old 01-28-2018, 06:49 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Definitely "This is Us", and "The Good Fight" is coming back in 2 weeks.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:53 PM   #17
gone traveling

I’ve been addicted to these murder mystery shows on the ID channel lately, Joe Kenda Homicide Hunter is my favorite, for new shows I’ve been watching 911 and LA to Vegas on Fox
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:20 PM   #18
gone traveling

Going through season 2 of Justified. Pretty good show.
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 03:01 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I hesitated to make such a long post, but there really are some quality shows out there if you can find them. Some have already been mentioned below:

1) The Americans - what a fantastic show. I assume you lived through the cold war, you should like spy show.

2) House of Cards - really good and innovative political drama. Had me at the first episode.

3) Homeland - first time in years I watched a show/movie with two people sitting at a table talking for 10 minutes ...and was sitting on the edge of my seat. The acting was amazing.

4) Narcos - Yeah, just watch it. Superb. I really had no interest in Pablo or the subject matter, and I think the show is fantastic.

5) Dexter - Unbelievably innovative and creative if you can handle the subject matter. The trick is from the start, you actually LIKE the serial killer.

6) 30 for 30 - It's not quite what you asked for, but if you like sports at all this "series" is fantastic. Each episode is a mini movie covering a sports topic. Very well done and the stories are usually good.

7) Billions - Another drama with amazing acting. Basically about a US attorney who is trying to take down a billionaire hedgefund manager.

8) Brockmire - I love baseball and Hank Azaria.

9) The Good Place - New 1/2 hour comedy with Ted Danson. It is entertaining with some interesting lines.

10) Imposters - Gotta say, I really liked the first season and am hopeful for the second. About a female con artist

11) Lucifer - So, the devil has decided to come to Earth and stay for a while. Ohh, and he likes to help a police detective solve crimes. He's pretty much up front about the whole thing, telling people who he is.

12) Suits - might be my favorite on the list. A legal drama, but not your typical one.

13) White Collar - a con man/ art thief is busted by the FBI. He starts helping them solve cases (but is he really)

14) Boss - with Kelsey Grammer as the Mayor of Chicago. I still can't believe it was cancelled.
clobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:18 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

NetFlix - All seasons of Grace and Frankie - Season 5 was just released.

DatumPoint5 is online now   Reply With Quote