What's on YouTube?

Meadbh

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We have a thread on movies and a thread on Netflix. I think it's time for one on YouTube, where I have found a cornucopia of good stuff, free. Here is the 2003 ITV series by Melvin Bragg on "The History of the English Language". (Part 1 of 8)

HISTORY OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE 1 Birth of a Language doc series 1 - YouTube
Mar 3, 2014 - Uploaded by English History Channel

What have you found that is worthy of perusal?

Last edited:
Music, Dance in depth explanations of the nitty gritty stuff that makes it elegant, Figure skating info and performaces, Car repair much junk, some really useful diagnostics, Human body dissection for med students, posture and poise discussions. And much more.

The Royal Ballet from the UK: behind the scenes stuff, video of ballet classes, rehearsals with explanations of the ballet--fabulous PR for them. :dance:

I was "wallowing in Watergate" a few weeks back on the anniversary of Nixon's resignation. The Discovery Channel documentary with Daniel Schorr, by far the best documentary I've seen on the complicated story. Video quality wasn't great, but I didn't care for that kind of content of mostly talking heads.

Learned how to texture sheetrock--what a hoot.

Finally, my favorite: English Bulldog videos. Always picks me up when I'm feeling down. :)

I love aviation videos. Here is a new one showing amazing footage of a bird strike.

flugsnug - YouTube

+1000 on Ted Talks. One of the most watched, most relative talks on the site. Treat yourself to one of the most insightful, humorous, and relevant speaker of our times. Stay with it for a bit... you will not regret it

Who? There are tons of speakers...

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

Flyboy... check it now. I added the link. Must be doing something wrong. Tied to add the actual vide, but didn't take. Will have to learn that trick

Flyboy... check it now. I added the link. Must be doing something wrong. Tied to add the actual vide, but didn't take. Will have to learn that trick

This is how to add a YouTube link to a post. Google it, then go to the Videos tab. Then click on the description and copy what is selected in blue in this image. Paste that into your message. Delete everything but the YouTube URL, and preview.

The below image shows the trailer for Flyboys, the movie, but when I searched for it on YouTube I received the following message: "this video requires purchase".

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Thx... does this just put in the link or a copy of the video. perhaps I'm getting off topic for this thread

dabb films is one of my favourite channels. He is an Icelandic pilot, as was his father. Many of his videos have spectacular scenery. Below are several very challenging landings at Isafjiordur, on the northwest coast of Iceland, taken over 50 years apart.

http://m.youtube.com/user/dabb

Last edited:
Youtube is a treasure trove of howto videos for wannabe DIYers. I went from zero to hero (well, maybe more like marginally competent) on adjusting derailleurs, fixing brakes, truing wheels, etc when I took up cycling a decade ago.

Youtube has:
1. "This Old House" channel, with a number of complete seasons of full episodes.
2. "Johnny Carson" channel, with a few complete episodes and a large number of clips. It's like time traveling to lay in bed at night and watch some Carson streamed to a TV.
3. "RedGreenTV", The Red Green Show channel, which includes the complete series. (Wikipedia: "The Red Green Show is essentially a cross between a sitcom and a sketch comedy series, and is a parody of Home Improvement, do-it-yourself, fishing, and other outdoors shows."). Cornball but free. Note: The channel contains many clips. To easily find full episodes, click on the playlist tab. There is a playlist for the full episodes of each season.
4. "Smithsonian" channel has a FEW full episodes (the same ones that are on Roku). The Aerial America series has 3 full 50 minute episodes (Florida, Montana, Hawaii). The video is all shot from the air, in beautiful 1080p, with an added audio description of the state and some history as well. Best when streamed to a TV.

All of the above are official channels created by the copyright owners of the content.
Sorry about no urls. I wasn't sure if they were generic urls or included my subscription to those pages.

Last edited:
I haven't looked but now I am wondering. I think it was in Germany, but late night, one of the TV channels used to play video from the front of a train traveling through the countryside. It was 6 hours long or so and was without commercial interruption. I enjoyed them and they were great to fall asleep to. I suppose there might be something similar on YouTube.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

I look to Utube all the time for just about everything. Fixing, etc. It's better than TV. Sort of like my window to the world. Vimeo is good, too.

Now this is flying...

I have found YouTube great for DIY projects, car repair projects, etc. It is amazing what you can find.

I have found YouTube great for DIY projects, car repair projects, etc. It is amazing what you can find.
+1 Virtually any common problem has a video of how to solve it, especially for car and home repair.

This is a great thread. Very helpful. Keep 'em coming!

+2. Almost endless source of great DIY videos. For example, I repaired our washer, removed the nav system from DW's car, and have done lots of knots and splices thanks to youtube - found the exact instructions I needed FREE! There have been many other useful videos too. Before youtube, the instructions would have been almost impossible to find.

I look to YouTube for documentaries. For example, Niall Ferguson's The Ascent of Money has been posted by several people. This version has all the episodes together.

► 240:15► 240:15
FINANCE - THE ASCENT OF MONEY - PARTS 1 - 5 - YouTube
May 24, 2012 - Uploaded by KOFAECONOMICS
FINANCE - THE ASCENT OF MONEY - PARTS 1 - 5 ... The Ascent of Money: A Financial ...

Sometimes when I want a relaxing break I like to watch short videos of Goro, the Welsh Pembroke Corgi who lives in Japan. Many times he is just doing ordinary Corgi dog things:

I get most of my DIY tips from you tube videos. Including an engine overhaul of my boat motor. I put up a few of my go pro videos on you tube. But I'm still an extreme amateur. Here's one of my pontoon boat a few days ago at a 40 degree sunrise. I processed it in 1080, so it looks better if the viewer changes settings to 1080 HD. Music by John Mellancamp in the theme of "The Perfect Storm"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom