Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-30-2018, 10:37 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
PS Vue, DirecTV Now, Hulu Live and YouTube TV all have guides similar to cable or satellite too nowadays - you don't need to look up programming elsewhere unless you want to...
Obtaining network guide information can be a bit problematic for true "cord cutters" who just use OTA and on-demand subscription services like Netflix or Prime. My kids get guide info on their phones. People like you and me with live streaming services are really just consuming traditional cable services through an improved delivery mechanism, which of course includes program guide information.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2018, 12:34 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Oh! The mention of OTA reminded me that the two oldest and most used Program Guides are Zap2It and TitanTV. They both provide a listing of OTA/Cable/Satellite programming by Zip Code. We use them all the time when "on the road."

When in Denver, I use SageTV for OTA and subscribe to Schedules Direct ($25 a year) for the EPG (Electronic Program Guide). It is used in many programs for OTA TV -- See SiliconDust for instance.
RonBoyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:43 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

To add on to my above post: The advantage to using Schedules Direct Programming Guide is I can schedule recordings out two weeks in advance.

Along the same lines, for scheduling recording on streaming services (Netflix, DTVN, AMC, TNT, HULU, etc) I use PlayOn - a program I cannot recommend highly enough.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:26 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
And the fact that it’s the most expensive (satellite) TV service I know of. Dish Network is less, and streaming is much less. I’m not current on cable options, but I know they’re comparable to satellite and much more than streaming.
I thought that honor went to Hughes Net.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:38 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Direct TV is great as long as you don't need to call them for any service related problems.
I know. I was astonished when DH had his problem with them to find out you can't call them. We are going to try something else once our 3 months are up. But -- I do love streaming just not Directv Now as it currently is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
It seems to me that if you just try to replicate traditional cable/satellite with a live streaming service such as Sling or PS Vue, you're probably not going to save a ton of money. We currently pay right at $100/mo for internet plus PS Vue (before tax/fees).
We are currently saving about $125 a month over what we were paying for cable and internet at our old house.

Now it be clear. We are now in an area with competition so Frontier FIOS is $49 a month (with taxes) and can go up $5 in a year and $5 after another year. Before we were in an area with no competition for internet and prices were very high. Still -- for now it is a big savings for us.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:50 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
But -- I do love streaming just not Directv Now as it currently is.
Just curious, what would you change about DTVN?
Old 07-31-2018, 10:41 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Just curious, what would you change about DTVN?
1. Whatever is causing DH to often not be able to log in. I have had it happen once to me but it has happened several time to him.

2. Telephone support. When the above happens it is frustrating that you can't talk to someone.

3. Many more hours of cloud DVR. 20 doesn't cut it.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:38 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
1. Whatever is causing DH to often not be able to log in. I have had it happen once to me but it has happened several time to him.

2. Telephone support. When the above happens it is frustrating that you can't talk to someone.

3. Many more hours of cloud DVR. 20 doesn't cut it.
Hmmmm. I haven't had the need to login in awhile. I was part of the BETA group and login was required each time they tweaked the program, however. Are you and your husband using the same device -- this sounds kinda like a "cookies" issue not caused by DVTN .

I cannot comment on phone support since I have yet to have the need of.

Yeah, I have heard that complaint. Apparently, you can give up $5 to increase that. (I use PlayOn to record to a local hard drive so have no experience with -- other than the BETA experience -- or need for DVTN's DVR function.)

Anyway, my reason for the question was that I was thinking your complaint had to do with quality of programming or difficulty using the functions.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:23 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Hmmmm. I haven't had the need to login in awhile. I was part of the BETA group and login was required each time they tweaked the program, however. Are you and your husband using the same device -- this sounds kinda like a "cookies" issue not caused by DVTN .

I cannot comment on phone support since I have yet to have the need of.

Yeah, I have heard that complaint. Apparently, you can give up $5 to increase that. (I use PlayOn to record to a local hard drive so have no experience with -- other than the BETA experience -- or need for DVTN's DVR function.)

Anyway, my reason for the question was that I was thinking your complaint had to do with quality of programming or difficulty using the functions.
DH mostly watches TV on his computer. On the computer you sign in each time. Now - we save the sign in so it is just hitting the sign in button with the user name and password already filled in.

DH and I use separate computers. He has more problems with it than I do. But, one night he had trouble on his computer and then came in and tried to watch on the TV in the bedroom (no new login is required on the TV) but when he selected Directv Now it gave an error message and wouldn't connect. That time, though, he was able to log in on his phone. One night he couldn't get in anywhere - computer, phone or TV.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:44 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
DH mostly watches TV on his computer. On the computer you sign in each time. Now - we save the sign in so it is just hitting the sign in button with the user name and password already filled in.

DH and I use separate computers. He has more problems with it than I do. But, one night he had trouble on his computer and then came in and tried to watch on the TV in the bedroom (no new login is required on the TV) but when he selected Directv Now it gave an error message and wouldn't connect. That time, though, he was able to log in on his phone. One night he couldn't get in anywhere - computer, phone or TV.
Yes, I can see how that would be frustrating. I, certainly, wouldn't like it one bit. However, I am still having difficulty blaming DVTN... but can't rule it out either. Nor can I troubleshoot it for you since I have no difficulty connecting on three different TVs and two computers.