Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-21-2019, 09:00 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
This one?

https://www.costco.com/LG-Gram-17-La...100485159.html

You KNOW you want it!!! I bet you can afford it, too, and it looks simply beautiful. I pasted the link just to tempt you. (sorry! ) Laptops are my weakness, I admit it.
You're killing me, W2R! DW and I looked at the LG Gram 17 yesterday at Costco. The $150 off special expires on 5/26. DW keeps telling me to go ahead and buy it but I can't make myself pull out the Citi Costco credit card, which is weird because I love laptops too. My current one (Toshia P875, 17") was made in 2012 but is perfectly fine. I do worry about it dying unexpectedly though. Time for more procrastination......
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2019, 01:09 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm in the same boat, have a 7 year old HP 17" which still runs great (after an SSD upgrade a few years ago) but it's a boat anchor and the battery life sucks.

Really want one of these new slim 17s but the price is just way out of line for what I use it for - surfing, taxes/investments and the occasional Android phone/tablet hack.

When they get under a grand I'll get one, not going to go smaller on screen size.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:39 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
This one?

https://www.costco.com/LG-Gram-17-La...100485159.html

You KNOW you want it!!! I bet you can afford it, too, and it looks simply beautiful. I pasted the link just to tempt you. (sorry! ) Laptops are my weakness, I admit it.
You are sooo mean!

I think the shiny screen is saving me. I like the matte screens and I bet, with that battery life, I'd be tempted to use it outside more often, which would exacerbate the reflections on that type of screen.

And no, I'm not going to search online to see if there's a matte LCD replacement I could swap in. I'm not... really... no....
Old 05-21-2019, 06:05 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
You're killing me, W2R! DW and I looked at the LG Gram 17 yesterday at Costco. The $150 off special expires on 5/26. DW keeps telling me to go ahead and buy it but I can't make myself pull out the Citi Costco credit card, which is weird because I love laptops too. My current one (Toshia P875, 17") was made in 2012 but is perfectly fine. I do worry about it dying unexpectedly though. Time for more procrastination......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Mean View Post
You are sooo mean!

I think the shiny screen is saving me. I like the matte screens and I bet, with that battery life, I'd be tempted to use it outside more often, which would exacerbate the reflections on that type of screen.

And no, I'm not going to search online to see if there's a matte LCD replacement I could swap in. I'm not... really... no....
Isn't that a gorgeous laptop? I love it! I don't care if I have a shiny screen or a matte screen, either. OH well (sigh!) I'll wait, but only because I bought a new 17" Dell gaming laptop just last fall. I am getting a big kick out of it, too. I just love new laptops.

P.S. - - it's always better to replace an old laptop *before* it craters and all your photos and data disappear into a black hole, rather than after. Just a thought.

OK, I just backed mine up this afternoon so I have data loss on the mind.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:29 PM   #65
Gone but not forgotten

An old man, behind the times....

I'm not sure where I'd use a laptop. Three $100 refurbished desktops, next to recliners in three rooms. Win10, that goes as fast as I want, and no reason to move a computer from room to room. Since I'm not employed, no reason to use a computer outside the home. All synced.

So, I wonder... if you are retired, where else do you use your laptops? Serious question.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:28 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post

I'm not sure where I'd use a laptop. Three $100 refurbished desktops, next to recliners in three rooms. Win10, that goes as fast as I want, and no reason to move a computer from room to room. Since I'm not employed, no reason to use a computer outside the home. All synced.

So, I wonder... if you are retired, where else do you use your laptops? Serious question.
Coffee shop and travel mostly. I also have a swivel stand in the kitchen I put my laptop on to watch my dvr (Mythbuntu) and Utube vids.
Which would you choose - a 17 inch laptop 2.95 lbs vs a 15.6 inch laptop 2.41 lbs.?
Old 05-22-2019, 03:47 PM   #67

Which would you choose - a 17 inch laptop 2.95 lbs vs a 15.6 inch laptop 2.41 lbs.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
Did you install this new second drive yourself? Or did you use some type of external connection. Thanks.

Yes, i installed the 2nd drive myself. There are 2 drive slots. There is a Youtube video. So, now have 1.25 TB ssd. Costco sells this laptop for $1349. I was able to get the discount . Original was $1499.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:00 PM   #68

Quote:

I like a quiet machine. I’m not sure if there are any fanless laptops, but when I replace my desktop, I would consider a laptop with a docking station set up so I can have the best of both. I was looking at the Surface Pro (because of a thread on ER), and I’m thinking that might fit the bill. I could see taking the laptop into the kitchen or into the living room. Maybe mirror it on my TV to show some of my wife’s photo to other family members. But, these days I spend most my time on my iPad. Desktop is my workhorse for storage and hooking up external drives for backups. Also use it when I do things that resemble work, like taxes and entering data into Quicken.
Old 05-22-2019, 04:25 PM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

For travel I take my google pixel book.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:31 PM   #70

Quote:
Not retired, but besides travel, what about back yard??
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote