Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-14-2018, 11:30 AM   #41

I was a watch wearer from mid-elementary school until I retired. My parents gave me all of my watches - the wind-up Timex with a gray leather band, followed by two battery Seikos, then a nice skinny dress watch, and finally a beautiful Citizens Eco Drive with a mother-of-pearl face and diamonds around the crown. I had asked for a new watch that year (2002?) for Christmas and sent them a few pictures of ones I was thinking of - much simpler. When I opened it on Christmas Day, I was really stunned. When I called my parents to thank them, my Dad said "The ones you picked out were too plain. You need an executive watch."

I don't wear it daily anymore, but I do try to wear it at least once a week to keep the battery charged. It's beautiful and a great memory of my late parents.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2018, 11:30 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Tossed 'em all inna trash years ago.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 11:43 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Tossed 'em all inna trash years ago.
I need to do that too, and also throw out a lot of other accumulated stuff.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:51 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a TAG Aquaracer. Hands down toughest watch I’ve owned...
Old 07-14-2018, 11:58 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I always have- can't break the habit!
Same here.

I used to have several watches, but nothing too fancy. A couple of years ago when my sons finished college, I let them all pick one so they'd have a nice watch to start out in the business world.

Not long after that I got an Apple Watch, which I wear every day. Now the watches I still have are sitting in my desk gathering dust.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:06 PM   #46

Used to wear one all the time since my parents gifted me one growing up. Years later MegaCorp decided we all needed cell phones.

And a few months later the battery in my watch was never replaced since I always had the phone close by.

I still have it somewhere. It's a nice but not expencive piece.

If someone told me a good reason to wear a watch again I would. But it must be something in addition to knowing the time.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:15 PM   #47

Pebble 2+ HR most of the time. A 28 year old gold Maurice-Lacroix for formal occasions. All the other watches are in a box .
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:19 PM   #48

I wear a Tag too; Formula 1.
I was either destroying my cheaper watches or they were dying. My Tag seems to have been able to take more of a beating.

I just find the watch handy sometimes when either the phone isn't nearby or it's just more convenient to look at my watch. The most typical example is when I'm roughly timing something like when I'm cooking.
I also sometimes can't rely on my phone, particularly when travelling because I burn down the battery.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:43 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Never liked the feeling of wearing a watch. I used to carry a cheap watch without a band in my pocket, which eventually got replaced by the cell phone.
shortstop14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:45 PM   #50

i wear no watches any more ,

and haven't for 20 years

after physically ripping off two watches in ( near miss events .. both with stainless steel bands ) i took the hint it was better to be late than missing a hand

i still have the two distressed Seiko chronographs ... ( great watches if on a less adventurous arm )

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:49 PM   #51

I wore a nice watch in college and first 2-3 years at Megacorp. Then it died and I realized I didn't need a watch. Even before cell phones, clocks were everywhere. I don't wear any rings either and liked not having it strapped to my wrist. So I never wore one after that.

Then in 2014, just out of curiosity, I bought the first generation Moto 360 Android smart watch. I wore it almost everyday for a year or two. Then the battery life started getting bad. So I replaced the battery, which was like a surgical procedure (not intended for consumers). The new battery lasted maybe six months. I get about 3-5 hours before it craps out. I still wear it occasionally when going out, but mostly it just sits on the charger on my bedside table and displays the time if I'm curious in the middle of the night.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:13 PM   #52

Always before I retired...had at least a dozen. Then none for years until the fitbit. Now Apple watches for both of us.
TrvlBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:49 PM   #53

Never have worn a watch. Just like OP I don’t wear anything: watch, ring, bracelet, necklace, etc.

DW does wear watch, she needed it for working as nurse. Now it’s a habit she continues in retirement

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:00 PM   #54

I am time-addicted. I become anxious if I cannot easily know what time of day it is. Watch...yes. Cell phone ….yes. Six clocks around the house including microwave, stove, cable box...yes.

DH?......Chicago song "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?"

He could not care less about time.....God I love him.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:10 PM   #55

I've always worn one. Never considered stopping when I retired. 95% of the time it's my $25 Timex digital with a stopwatch feature that I use to time workouts. When I (rarely) dress up, I wear one of several nice but not extravagant watches I've picked up or been gifted over the years. A favorite is a Seiko that I bought in SE Asia in the late 60's. Still works fine. It'll probably be ticking longer than I will.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:12 PM   #56

I am the Black Widow of Watches. Watches typically won't keep time for me. They have died many ugly deaths under my - um, watch: battery failure, broken band, broken straps, cracked crystal, etc. A number disappeared under mysterious circumstances, never to be seen again. Some were tossed for not keeping proper time. Several were executed after catching in my hair.

Also, while I like they way they look, every once in a while, they would make me feel claustrophobic, and I would take them off (notwithstanding I was no where home or near a jewelry box) and start flipping them around. That did not typically end well.

I did not own (and refused to let my husband - a watch lover - buy me) an expensive watch, as I knew it would not end well . . .

Lately, I've depended on my cell phone for time purposes.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:14 PM   #57

If you ever want to pick a fight over on bogleheads, post something about the best watch for $5k. They do not approve. I bought a $42k watch not long ago and thought it was amazing and then sold it for what I paid for it. Was cool to see what a car felt like on my wrist but I was afraid to wear it and it didn't do much for me that my G-Shock didn't do. Not from a technical standpoint, but from a happiness standpoint. I'm hoping this lesson keeps me from buying a Ferrari.
corn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:19 PM   #58

I used to wear watches in my younger days. For Christmas when I was about ten my parents gave me a waterproof watch packaged in a jar of water, which had me shaking the gift-wrapped present for weeks trying to figure out why they thought I wanted cologne at such a young age.

Anyway, for the last decade or so I just couldn't stand to wear anything so I gave them up. I then had to get a cheap watch to wear when working in certain areas that didn't allow cell phones.

Then, last year I got an Apple Watch and love it. I never take it off. The fitness tracker has me hooked and I have to get credit for every possible minute of standing or moving calories. Not sure why, but it keeps me moving,which is a good thing. It's nice to be able to shut up those spam phone calls very quickly using the watch, too.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:31 PM   #59

I never wore a watch my entire life. I have worn an Apple watch every day since the first version came out. But I think that referring to the Apple watch as a "watch" is like referring to an iPhone as a "telephone". I rarely make phone calls on my iPhone and I don't generally care what time it is so I don't pay that much attention to the time on my Apple watch. It's a supercomputer on a wrist that just happens to also tell time. But for everything else that it can do, it's priceless.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Who wears a Watch
Old 07-14-2018, 08:29 PM   #60

Who wears a Watch

I feel naked without a watch. I have eight. I wear all of them somewhat regularly... Garmin Forerunner 235 is my run GPS and activity tracker. I have two Timex Ironman watches I swim with. My most expensive is a $200 citizen “dress” sports watch. I have a funky Fossil, the Sturhling skeleton my wife gave me for our wedding, and a Kenneth Cole sports watch.

My coolest one is either the skeleton or my black and brown Koa wood watch made by a small startup by LSU students. Super lightweight, sharp looking and goes with anything. My wife finds cool stuff.

I like watches.

Delaying gratification on a fancy watch. Someday that’ll probably be a splurge to blow that dough.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote