Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-10-2017, 11:53 AM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
I use WiFi for all calls and text as long as I'm in a WiFi network, which is most of the time. It has nothing to do with the cellular reception. WiFi calling is free, whereas Ting mobile data usage is not. The only time I connect to a cell tower is when I'm actually mobile, i.e. NOT on a WiFi network.
Exactly. All the cafes, restaurants, pubs, malls and supermarkets around here have wifi and once you have connected that first time it automatically connects once you are in range.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2017, 12:02 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Whenever I hear a phone referred to as a brick, it reminds me of the days when I had to carry one of these for my job. They were the size, shape and weight of an actual brick, so that's what we called them. They did have texting, email and access to search online databases over 20 years before the first iPhone though.
I never carried one of those, but my customers were always impressed by their functionality; it was something nobody else in the industry had.

But "Brick" is not an appropriate name for today's mobile devices because "to brick your device" means that it's startup code is gone or corrupt such that the device might as well be set on the floor to keep a door from closing.

Shortened "cell phone" to "cell" doesn't quite work because it uses other bands. But shortened "mobile phone" to "mobile" works for me. The sci-fi books call them "personal communication device", "data pad", or things like that.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:38 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Because they are cell phones?
For many people, surely you realize the phone is one of the least used functions after text, email, internet browsing, map directions (more current than any GPS), apps, calculator, time, stopwatch, reading books, watching video, gaming, listening to music, camera, (audio) recording device, social media, payment device, even a flashlight, and on and on...

When my smartphone rings it's either 1) bad news, or 2) some cold caller I don't want to talk to. If mine rings and I don't recognize the number (already in my contacts), there's no way I'll answer. If you leave a message, I'll call you back if I know you. It's mostly older generations who still value the phone itself over other smart functions, some of them still prefer flip phones.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 02:33 PM   #24

In German, it's called a "handy" (yes, the English word).

It came from the old military term "handle-talkie" for a handheld two-way radio.

Even today, most amateur radio operators refer to one as an "HT" (for handle-talkie).
Old 07-10-2017, 02:52 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Why Are We Still Calling the Things in Our Pockets 'Cell Phones'?

Ummm, because they are still "phones"? Though it seems most people refer to these as "smart phones" these days, if they refer to them at all. People just say 'text me', or 'call me' , or 'email me', or 'Face-Time me' or 'Skype me' w/o referencing the device. You could do most things on a tablet or computer too.

But anyhow, I guess it is also the same reason we still:

Call a "Swiss Army Knife" a "knife".

Call a turbo-charged engine an "engine".

Call a Hybrid Car a "car".

Call a combination refrigerator-freezer a "refrigerator" (unless we are specifically telling someone to put something in the freezer section).

If I use the scissors of my Swiss Army Knife the most often, and I lose it, does the OP expect me to go into the store and ask if they have any scissors? No, I think I'll ask to see their Swiss Army Knives!

I don't get the reason to question this, or if it's even commonly true?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:09 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

I usually call it a cel. But it has a phone number so I don't know why it's not considered a phone.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:33 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I usually call it a cel. But it has a phone number so I don't know why it's not considered a phone.
Good point. I just asked DW, if she met someone, and wanted to text them later, what information would she ask them for?

"Their phone number".

I suppose a 'hipster' might say "Let's exchange contact info", but face it - the number you use to text someone is a phone number. No two ways about it. Even if the term itself is somewhat archaic (but not really, not yet). And until that changes, and probably for sometime after, the usage will persist. Like the term "dial tone", though dial telephones became rare decades ago.

I really don't get OP's point.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:37 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Your tablet has a number too.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 05:47 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Your tablet has a number too.
A phone number? I don't do calls on my tablet, anyway.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:52 PM   #30

When I call a doctor's office, the machine usually says "If this is a medical emergency, hang up and dial 911."

What is this "dial" thing?
Old 07-10-2017, 05:56 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I refer to mine as an iPhone, because well, that's what it is.

If Apple changes the name, I'll go with that eventually.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:00 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Good point. I just asked DW, if she met someone, and wanted to text them later, what information would she ask them for?

"Their phone number".

I suppose a 'hipster' might say "Let's exchange contact info", but face it - the number you use to text someone is a phone number. No two ways about it. Even if the term itself is somewhat archaic (but not really, not yet). And until that changes, and probably for sometime after, the usage will persist. Like the term "dial tone", though dial telephones became rare decades ago.

I really don't get OP's point.

-ERD50
Hipsters get each othets' digits.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:01 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A phone number? I don't do calls on my tablet, anyway.
Yes. To find it on my iPad, I go to Settings, General, About, Cellular Data Number. It is shown with a 1 before it. This number is used to transmit texts. It is also used for FaceTime.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204380
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:15 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
For many people, surely you realize the phone is one of the least used functions after text, email, internet browsing, map directions (more current than any GPS), apps, calculator, time, stopwatch, reading books, watching video, gaming, listening to music, camera, (audio) recording device, social media, payment device, even a flashlight, and on and on...
My view of the this is skewed by the fact I last had a landline in 2003. Every call since has been on a cell phone. Though I make/receive less calls these days, the telephony function is still very relevant to me.
bw5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:48 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Yes. To find it on my iPad, I go to Settings, General, About, Cellular Data Number. It is shown with a 1 before it. This number is used to transmit texts. It is also used for FaceTime.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204380
That is interesting for tablets that have cellular data. For my wifi only tablet (I did not pay for the cellular option), there is no cellular data number.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:07 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps because it is a phone and uses the celular network to make and receive calls (amongst other handy functions).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:13 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I spent most of my 36 1/2 working years on the telephone. Now that I'm retired, I do good to make 5 calls a month. That worked out to $10 per phone call.

I cut off my cell phone and I feel like a bird out of a cage. My wife carries one, and she drives me crazy when I'm driving and she's talking to her smartphone like it's a person.

My millennial daughter is like a one armed person, and she's got carpel tunnel. Next, I expect her eyesight to go south due to micro fonts. I question why someone that's so fiscally challenged (broke) puts such importance to having a cell phone to talk and text to her socially challenged (trashy) "friends."

No thanks to that little expensive luxury.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:17 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
That is interesting for tablets that have cellular data. For my wifi only tablet (I did not pay for the cellular option), there is no cellular data number.
If you have a iPad and it shares the WiFi connection with your iPhone, the iPad will make and receive calls without cellular data.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:40 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
If you have a iPad and it shares the WiFi connection with your iPhone, the iPad will make and receive calls without cellular data.
I know (even though I never use my tablet for that) but it still doesn't have a phone number or a cellular data number. It can also be used to make and receive facetime audio calls and video communication through wifi on its own using email addresses, unlike my cel phone, which uses a phone number, but I would never consider it a phone.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:49 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

DW and I just call them our phones. Ditched our landlines years ago, so no confusion there. Used to sometimes call them 'blinky', but that name is now reserved for our robot vacuum.
redshift is offline   Reply With Quote