Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-17-2018, 08:16 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Bring back The Rockford Files...my favorite (actually believable) PI show.
What about Perry Mason?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2018, 08:38 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

And as I end every letter to my congressman, "and bring back Matlick!"
Old 09-17-2018, 08:46 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Dallas, Hart to Hart, Knots Landing, Falcon Crest, Dynasty......now you have my attention

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:59 PM   #24

I wouldn’t mind seeing Twilight Zone series by Hitcock.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:01 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
And as I end every letter to my congressman, "and bring back Matlick!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I wouldn’t mind seeing Twightline Zone series by Hitcock.
Don't forget "Have Gum, Will Travel"
Old 09-17-2018, 09:02 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I wouldn’t mind seeing Twightline Zone series by Hitcock.
I also always enjoyed "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" though it was reruns when I first saw them.
Rodd Sterling was a local boy so "The Twilight Zone" has a special place for us.
GravitySucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
I also always enjoyed "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" though it was reruns when I first saw them.
Rodd Sterling was a local boy so "The Twilight Zone" has a special place for us.
I knew my spelling was not right somehow. Thanks for the correction. I saw it in the early 80s when I was living in Boston.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:05 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
Why not Mannix too?
Yes!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:35 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Of course. Make the male sidekick a female. That is getting rather formulaic.
The entire re-hashing of old series, even with the same title/names is a huge demonstration of the lack of creative thinking, and to me it's insulting as if I would not notice the different characters playing the same roles.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:34 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

COZI and MeTV rerun many of the original "old" series, and are free OTA.

I myself would like to see colorized versions of 12 O"Clock High, Combat, and McHale's Navy, but that's just wishful thinking.

Most of these series are on DVD and can be found on the 2nd hand market, or at the public library (at least in our locale).

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:52 PM   #31

So I was a huge Murphy Brown fan for the original. I will definitely check out this late version.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:22 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I was thinking about this... there is a split on the 'new' old series... there are the ones that bring back the old cast Rosanne, Murphy Brown, Will & Grace and the ones with a whole new cast that copies the original... sometimes to a large extent...

I would think the ones with the old characters will prove to be the ones that work out better since people will still associate with them... IOW, Murphy Brown can start right up with basically the same stories with just them being older..

Any remakes with new characters that are doing good?

BTW, I saw a teaser of Magnum where he is jumping from the car and a big truck hits it and he is jumping on the truck... problem is that he still would go 'splat' on that truck as it is going much faster than he is... but I think he will survive...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:47 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

While I enjoy some of the remakes, it does feel like there's a lack of creativity. Not only in shows, but movies (remakes, superhero movies, etc.) and sometimes music. This is where I'd give credit to netflix, their original content isn't always the greatest but they can be unique and sometimes actually pretty good.
fasteddie911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 01:49 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridatennisplayer View Post
Dallas, Hart to Hart, Knots Landing, Falcon Crest, Dynasty......now you have my attention
You may not be paying attention? They already did Dallas. Came and went.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:02 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Bring back Gunsmoke! But wouldn't be the same without James Arness and the rest of the old cast. That's why I don't care for most remakes.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:05 AM   #36

I can't think of any programs about lawyers, cops, detectives, PIs, doctors, etc that aren't a repeat of what has already been done multiple times. I don't see the new remakes being any different. It is getting too easy to predict the scripts and even the dialog. This probably won't make any difference if you 20 or 30 something.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:47 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I don't look for a brand new idea, or concept. I like shows where the cast has chemistry, with good acting, writing, and directing. If the scripts are totally predictable, that's not good writing. Sure, the outcome is often predictable, but how they get there can be interesting. And a good show won't always be predictable. But if they always have an unpredictable ending, it would probably mean it's far-fetched.

What I don't like are shows, especially comedies, that rely on annoying characters. I guess they appeal to a lot of people since a lot of shows have them, but I generally won't watch them.

As far as the remakes, if shows aren't going to be that different anyway, why not try to jump start it with the name, if not the cast, of a known hit? Bringing back the original cast can work if the chemistry is still there. 30 years later, Magnum and Hawaii 5-0 aren't going to be able to bring back Selleck and Lord (not even alive) in those roles. Some are complaining that Higgins is now a woman. Do they also want the original scripts recreated? I've got no problem with updates. Hawaii 5-O did the same with Kono, and most of the characters had considerably different personalities, and it apparently works well, as it's been going for 8 years.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:47 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I don't know how much they really pay attention to the baby boomers. They have cancelled several new TV series after just one season that were among the best, IMO. (e.g. Timeless, Limitless and Vegas.) I'm surprised they haven't cancelled Billions and House of Cards, which are both great IMO.

Sometimes remakes or redo's work pretty well. The remake of Dallas was as good (no it was better) that the original series. Of course several of the original key actors were in the remake too but it was great and the new actors were taking control.

And speaking of TV and Boomers, I'm getting more than a little tired of all the BS I'm seeing in "many" (not all) of the newer TV commercials. Specifically they are cramming their cultural view points or messages down my throat.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:51 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I never watched any of those shows, so I won't be watching them this time, either.

Just this month, on my various "oldies" cable TV stations (Decades, AntennaTV, MeTV), I lost reruns of Mary Tyler Moore and the original Star Trek (with some remastered special effects, so it does have some "freshness" to it). And earlier this year, I lost All in the Family reruns.

The only prime time shows I watch are 60 Minutes and Law & Order SVU. The latter has really gone downhill the last 5+ years to the point where I really don't care too much if I fail to watch it for a few weeks. It's now "Olivia Benson, the Single Mother Cop" show.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:59 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Difficult for me to get into series reboots.

I can see for diehard fans of the original shows, like Murphy Brown or Rosanne (before all the controversy).

But a show like SWAT. Why make a show with the same main character instead of just having a new show to stand on by itself? I don't get that.