Join Early Retirement Today

Will & Grace? Hawaii Five-O? Murphy Brown? Magnum PI?
Old 09-17-2018, 05:45 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Will & Grace? Hawaii Five-O? Murphy Brown? Magnum PI?

Why all the rehashed shows? I’m guessing it’s because the major networks viewer median age has been steadily climbing and Boomers have become their primary demographic. They’ve lost younger generations?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2018, 06:00 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Tried and true-low risk. Murphy Brown is funny/entertaining without bathroom humor, F bombs and endless sexual innuendos.

Interesting to market to boomers. I doubt the younger crowd will watch-although DS loved watching it as a younger teen. He might just tune in.

Off track, but...
for you Candice Bergen fans....if you have never seen the movie "The Sand Pebbles" (1966, 93% Rotten Tomatoes rating) with Steve McQueen, rent it-you will see a very young and beautiful Candice with a major role. Long movie, but a great one IMHO.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:36 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I think they always try new things... and one new thing is the old shows...

Hawaii Five-O has been out and successful (I liked the original but not the new)... I think the new McGyver has been successful and out a few years (I also do not watch this one as it is so dumbed down)...

I will take a look at them and see if they are good shows or not... if good, I will watch, if they just try and make it look like the old with old scrips then I will not... I think Magnum might be in this vein when I look at the teasers...

The other problem is that there has been to much spin off... heck, how many CSIs are there? Or Law and Order? Or even Chicago whatever!!! Of all these I only watch the original CSI...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:00 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think remaking Magnum is sacrilege but I will probably give it a look.

As to the original question, I th8nk they have run out of ideas.
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:08 AM   #5

It’s probably new shows for some of us except for Hawai-Five-O. Actually I don’t watch any now.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:22 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Who plays the stuffy Higgins character in the new Magnum?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:25 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Who plays the stuffy Higgins character in the new Magnum?
The Higgins character is a woman now. We’ll see how that works. Certainly a fundamental change from the original.
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:48 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
The Higgins character is a woman now. We’ll see how that works. Certainly a fundamental change from the original.
Of course. Make the male sidekick a female. That is getting rather formulaic.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:57 AM   #9

Quote:
I think remaking Magnum is sacrilege but I will probably give it a look.

As to the original question, I th8nk they have run out of ideas.
Without the awesome mustache who will watch?

Agree with the out of ideas.

Can't believe Murphy Brown is on a comeback. It's not found in reruns like all the others mentioned. (To period specific. What 25 yr old is going to get a John Sununu joke) And I'm already cringing about the political jokes and bashing they'll try to float.
GravitySucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:00 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What!? I was already disappointed in the "re-boot" but Higgins a woman? That is just, well...I just don't know. I wonder if Tom Selleck will be able to take time off from selling bad deals to seniors in order to make a cameo appearance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post

Can't believe Murphy Brown is on a comeback. It's not found in reruns like all the others mentioned. (To period specific. What 25 yr old is going to get a John Sununu joke) And I'm already cringing about the political jokes and bashing they'll try to float.
I think that it will be as unappealing (or appealing depending on your political flavors) as the Will and Grace reboot. I watched two of the "new" W&G shows and couldn't take the incessant political commentary. The little TV I watch needs to be void of all the political vitriol that is so rampant everywhere else.

And there are re-runs of Murphy Brown...at least on broadcast TV here in Atlanta.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
What!? I was already disappointed in the "re-boot" but Higgins a woman? That is just, well...I just don't know. I wonder if Tom Selleck will be able to take time off from selling bad deals to seniors in order to make a cameo appearance?
My PhD educated uncle did his landscaping after quitting the academic field. The field was not lucrative for him.

But if you miss the mustache, there is no reason why a woman can’t have a mustache. Heck men get boobs and women get mustache as we grow older. We are morphing into one sex.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:09 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
But if you miss the mustache, there is no reason why a woman can’t have a mustache. Heck men get boobs and women get mustache as we grow older. We are morphing into one sex.
Well, Magnum has the stash, I think Higgins had a pencil stash (if anything at all) so the "new" Higgins wouldn't have to have a stash. But I guess if I needed to see "woman/men/hybrid" with a stash, I could watch the Bravo channel...but yeah, that ain't happening.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:12 AM   #13

the murphy brown reruns are only on syndication, not on streaming anywhere. Teens binge stream older sitcoms. (well, old like "friends" so not that old).

I read an interesting piece about murphy brown, and they can't stream it because of the music rights. The original show had a LOT of music that was not only in background, but part of the show, so it's not just a matter of changing the soundtrack, and the legal rights for each were only for the shows at the time and reruns. So even if they could pay for and obtain new rights, it mean lots of lawyers and multiple contracts for each episode.

And I don't care if they play around with casting - gender or race - it's probably smarter for today's audiences, especially if you want to attract the key advertising demographics.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:55 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I actually like the new Hawaii Five-O and watch it some and I'll give Magnum PI a try but I hope it is better than the reboot of MacGyver. I always hated Murphy Brown and could care less about Will & Grace... I tried to watch the first new episode and was bored to tears.

I wish they would do a reboot of JAG.... I was a regular watcher when it was on CBS and it has been in reruns on HandI this summer and I have been watching since the current summer network shows other than AGT and Salvation are pretty boring.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 02:16 PM   #15

I was not a big watcher of the original Will and Grace. I saw a few shows and got the laughs but did not follow the whole show.

I started watching the reboot and I really liked it! The characters are over the top and some of the situations and humor are absurd but I found that I laughed out loud and smiled throughout. That's worth a half hour of my time.

Another reboot I was enjoying was Roseanne. Politics aside, I enjoy the family. My favorite was the daughter Darlene and I wanted to see how her life turned out. So when it comes back with the redo of the reboot I'll check it out.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:35 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I hadn't watched any of these shows in years. I guess I'm not in the market for new versions then!

Well, I occasionally think of the new Hawaii 50 - but somehow never get around to watching any! I did see little of the HD remastered old show and was very impressed.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:38 PM   #17

Bring back The Rockford Files...my favorite (actually believable) PI show.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 04:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Why not Mannix too?
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:20 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

The original had no women so I think they had to throw one in... the best place was Higgins as all the others were friends of Magnum helping hm out and we cannot have a woman doing that....
Old 09-17-2018, 05:23 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I actually like the new Hawaii Five-O and watch it some and I'll give Magnum PI a try but I hope it is better than the reboot of MacGyver. I always hated Murphy Brown and could care less about Will & Grace... I tried to watch the first new episode and was bored to tears.

I wish they would do a reboot of JAG.... I was a regular watcher when it was on CBS and it has been in reruns on HandI this summer and I have been watching since the current summer network shows other than AGT and Salvation are pretty boring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
Why not Mannix too?

I will agree with JAG and Rockford... I remember Mannix but not as well as the other two...