Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Wyze camera’s quite the deal @ $20.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:42 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bought 2 Wyze cameras for the Pocono house. Very happy with the performance. The one pointing at the front stairs is occasionally set off by the motion light. So far- a raccoon cleaning itself, the neighbors cat, squirrels and a wild pig. We thought the wild pig was the rarest until yesterday.. a bear. Yep.

This many man will have to rethink the risk factor when i walk the old pooch there.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2019, 07:48 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

No worries Ray... I'm betting that that bear is more scared of you than you of it. Just don't get between it and it's cubs and you should be fine.

The wild pig... that's a whole different thing.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:01 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
No worries Ray... I'm betting that that bear is more scared of you than you of it. Just don't get between it and it's cubs and you should be fine.

The wild pig... that's a whole different thing.
Yeah, I remember a dead snake thrown in a pig pen. Pigs are omnivores, they adore a meaty snack.

Ever heard the expression "he went to sxxx and the hogs ate em"? I knew a guy who claimed that happened to his uncle. I believed him.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:16 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Hope you continue to have good luck with the cameras. My own experience with Wyze was not so great. Hopefully it was just a batch of bad units.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:00 PM   #5

Can you by chance post a video so I can see the quality? I've been considering getting an outdoor camera but can't decide on which. For $20-$25 this would be something inexpensive to try out.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 12:48 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Hand cannon might be handy to have on when walking the dawg....
gamboolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
Can you by chance post a video so I can see the quality? I've been considering getting an outdoor camera but can't decide on which. For $20-$25 this would be something inexpensive to try out.

1. I saved it to my iPad and mailed it to myself but I cant figure out how to browse and select it to post it to ER.

2. I found this on youtube it accurately shows is the quality I see
https://youtu.be/1RV6rHBDbmI

3. Our cameras sit on the window ledge and point out side. They are not outdoor camera’s. Coupled with a motion detector light they work great. We get alerts when they are triggered. The vids are saved for a couple weeks. When you get an alert you want to save you can mail them to yourself for safekeeping. We invested in SIM cards so they are also saved on the camera.

4. Downside is lighting and heavy weather can trip a video. We dont mind a few extra vids ..

If you really want to see my clip PM me with you address and I’ll mail one/ couple to you.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:51 AM   #8

I have been in bear country a few times. I decided to not take a pistol. I thought it might just make the bear mad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamboolman View Post
Hand cannon might be handy to have on when walking the dawg....
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:13 AM   #9

DS is in Alaska and takes his sidearm almost every time he goes hiking, or fishing or hunting etc. Last Summer we were fishing and a couple of young bears came up river. One was rather curious about all the fishermen. Loud yelling would not scare him off. That is when DS took action. He threw a rock which landed at the bear's feet. The bear was startled, let out a grunt, turned and went back into the woods.

Maybe I should get a sign to put by my front door that ways "This house protected by Smith and Rocks".
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:22 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was thinking of getting a couple of Wyze cameras until I read that the recording clips were limited to five seconds each. Then, it won’t record another clip for several minutes. Does this match you experience?
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:39 AM   #11

5 seconds no its more like a 20 second clip.. that seems to be more then enough
Old 01-06-2019, 07:54 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I got one of the Wyze camera's. It doesn't work as advertised. It's suppose to have cloud recording, but it doesn't work at all.
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 08:34 AM   #13

Where on the cloud does it go? Subscription fee?
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:19 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpack View Post
I got one of the Wyze camera's. It doesn't work as advertised. It's suppose to have cloud recording, but it doesn't work at all.
Are you sure your wifi connection is working for it ?
Maybe your is broken ?
Old 01-06-2019, 02:13 PM   #15

I've got one outside but protected from weather. It's mounted high up on one side of my front porch, pointed toward the front door. It's not rated for outdoor use, so we'll see. It's been working fine for several months now. Wyze is working on an outdoor version.

I get a notification on my smartphone any time it detects motion or sound. I can then watch a 12-second video clip, with free 14-day rolling cloud storage. There is no subscription fee with Wyze for the cloud storage. It also records continuously onto a 32GB microSD (not included with the camera). It stores about 3-4 days worth of HD video locally, which I can view on the app.

It also has two-way audio to communicate with people at the front door if needed, even if I'm on the other side of the planet. And it has night vision capability which seems to work well. It's also Alexa-friendly, so on our Fire TV, I just say, "Alexa, show front porch camera", and there it is. That's a lot of tech for $20.

I've been very happy with the performance and reliability. But having a strong WiFi signal at the camera is key. I'm thinking of getting a few more. I'd like one on our side porch and one pointing down the driveway. But I'll probably wait for the outdoor version to get released.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:03 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Could you verify the model #?

Read some reviews on Amazon - seems to be some issues with these cameras being security issues (snooping) with data being sent outside the USA. I would buy for pointing outside like mentioned above and don't really care if the Russians or Chinese can see my dog in the yard. Any concerns?
Retiree_Having_Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:49 PM   #17

I have four Wyze cams now. For the most part they work like a charm and are easily worth the $20 + shipping.

I used to have to reset one once a month or so, but lately they've been reliable. They do update their firmware at times, so they've been improving.

The other possible problem is that not many third-party apps work with them. The TinyCam app works now, and is supposed to be able to set up a server to relay to other common apps, so compatibility may become more common in the future.

No problem with recording on motion or sound. It gets saved in the cloud long enough. Though as noted the options are few.

The Rev 2 version works with Amazon Echo Show with the Wyze skill. I think all the Rev 1's should be sold by now. There is also a pan and tilt version for more $.

I use one outdoors, tucked under a light fixture. Good so far, but it's only been out there a few months. One in the garage, and a couple to watch the pet birds when we're gone.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:38 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

For $20, they're great cameras.

I wish it recorded longer than 12 seconds. Then, after it records, there is a 5 minute "cool down" where it wont record again (to the cloud.) This is where the micro sd card comes into play. But...you have to set it up to record 24/7...which will record to the sd card, then motion will record to the cloud (only 12 seconds at a time though.)

Yeah, 12 seconds is probably enough to get a screenshot of someones face if they break in.

Like others said, cloud storage is free. It saves clips for 14 days, then starts to delete automatically.

If you need cameras to monitor a place remotely, these are really nice. If you need cameras to record a lot of activity, these arent the ones for you.

Again, for $20ish for the fixed and $35 for the ptz, they cant be beat.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:56 AM   #19

<b>ponyboy: “For $20, they're great cameras.

If you need cameras to monitor a place remotely, these are really nice. If you need cameras to record a lot of activity, these arent the ones for you.

Again, for $20ish for the fixed and $35 for the ptz, they cant be beat”</b>

+1
Old 01-07-2019, 07:56 AM   #20

Where are you getting these for $20 and $35? At Amazon they're $26 and $38.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote