You can still upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 for free

mistermike40

Recycles dryer sheets
I've seen some posts asking about a Windows 7 to 10 upgrade. I just saw this today... if you have a licensed, activated version of Win 7 on your computer you can still do a free, legal upgrade to Win 10. Details are at this link:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...fjWEqT_WVuXl-6vplG1aGlk4syCOZSi_qmyjhZyVYKGaw

FWIW, I was a pretty big fan of Win 7 but upgraded over a year ago... I now really like Win 10... I don't see any downside (compared to 7).

You can also keep updates going for Windows 7 for free according to this:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/bypas...s-7-extended-security-updates-on-all-systems/

From what I understand, there's a program that you run which tricks Windows into thinking that it has installed and activated the extended security updates. It probably won't last long, but kind of fun to watch the cat and mouse game. It wouldn't cost Microsoft anything extra (except bandwidth, which is microscopically small cost), to put updates on your Windows 7 machine, but it's certainly not something they want (they want you, obviously, paying by the minute, but will settle for selling you OS as a service ;) You probably should NOT do this hack, but if you do, make sure you go about it safely: always check your hash if treading in the darker corners of the Internet: 008fa84c72ed4c847581a2e24380ddd6f688ef99

FWIW, I was a pretty big fan of Win 7 but upgraded over a year ago... I now really like Win 10... I don't see any downside (compared to 7).
Same here. I loved Windows 7, but upgraded to Windows 8.0 :sick: , 8.1, and then Windows 10 back in the summer of 2015. Windows 10 is ever so much faster than any of the others. For me, it has been easy to deal with once I got used to it.

I always update. Win 8.0 was pretty bad, though 8.1 was better. Win10 is good, I wouldn’t hesitate to upgrade from Win7 just because 8.0 was questionable. My 2 cents...

Last edited:
We bit the bullet. and upgraded both our PC's to Win 10. These were refurbished units for $150 each. It took a little doing to get DW's where she wanted it, as far as display, font, etc. but it got done.

We bit the bullet. and upgraded both our PC's to Win 10. These were refurbished units for $150 each. It took a little doing to get DW's where she wanted it, as far as display, font, etc. but it got done.
Did something similar, except it was a new PC for Windows 10 Pro. Once my PC hardware get past the five year mark, I start looking for replacements.

I am leaving my Windows 7 Pro PC offline and not upgraded. I have a concerned I have some older applications and scripts that may not run on Windows 10, or at least require some modifications and re-scripting. Going to try and install Word 2010 (yes, 2010!) on Windows 10. Since neither my DW nor I are working and have a need to maintain compatibility with work software environments, I don't see the need to spend more money. I may try LibreOffice if Windows 10 barks about Office 2010 (just need Word and Excel).

Last edited:
I would happily upgrade if I didn't have to give up Windows Media Center in the process.

Yup, I can confirm that an upgrade is still possible. I finally just upgraded to Windows 10 two weeks ago, and overall, it went fairly smoothly. The only major issue I had was with the network connection being dropped every ten minutes or so, which had to be restored by running the Windows network connection trouble-shooter. Finally fixed that problem by downloading a network adapter driver directly from Broadcom and forcing the driver change.

I still think Windows 7 is a better/more complete OS in terms of features, but it was time to move on.

-Wino

Going to try and install Word 2010 (yes, 2010!) on Windows 10. Since neither my DW nor I are working and have a need to maintain compatibility with work software environments, I don't see the need to spend more money. I may try LibreOffice if Windows 10 barks about Office 2010 (just need Word and Excel).
The good news is Office 2010 (Home & Student version) installed without a hitch on Windows 10. The bad news is a message came up in Excel indicating Microsoft will stop supporting Office 2010 on October 13, 2020. So, we get to play this game again in 9 months. :(:banghead:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/office-2010-end-support-roadmap

I'm keeping my primary OS where I do email, shopping and casual web surfing on Win7 - though none of my financial data or important passwords will ever be typed there. All of that happens on a separate Ubuntu boot for security reasons. Said Ubuntu OS also has a Virtual Box running Win10 just so I can run TurboTax.

Maybe I'm just being perverse, but I LIKE Windows 7 better than any of its replacements.

Windows 7 was a good, stable OS, no question. But Windows 10 is even better, once you get it under control. But do get Pro.

I upgraded a laptop and desktop from Win7 to Win10 just a few weeks ago with zero problems. Both machines are working better and faster than before. Especially on startup and shutdown.

Windows 7 was a good, stable OS, no question. But Windows 10 is even better, once you get it under control. But do get Pro.
Because we used the Pro versions of XP and 7 at both of the companies we worked for, along with NT (when we worked :D), that's what I installed at home. I went ahead and had Win 10 Pro installed on my new PC. It made disabling Cortana a snap via the Local Group Policies.

Not a fan of the Win 10 standard interface. Spent too many years on NT, XP, 7, and various UNIX platforms (Sun Solaris mostly). Did install Open Shell (aka Classic Shell), and that helped organize the PC a bit more to my liking. Maybe over time I will incorporate the app look of Win 10.

So far, the Win 10 PC has been quick and fairly easy to use, although it seems to struggle a bit at setting default programs for various applications. Installed Media Player Classic with the selection to make it the default player for numerous types, but it didn't do it at install. Had to manually set them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom