Join Early Retirement Today

Zuckerberg
Old 04-11-2018, 11:35 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Zuckerberg

Is anyone else enjoying the 2-day grilling that Mr. Z is involved in? I am not a Facebook user, nor have I ever enrolled in it, and I am pretty sure that my lack of action has been a good decision.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/11/u...analytica.html

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2018, 11:41 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Not a FB user either but I am enjoying the inquisition. Zuckerburg is doing MUCH better than I thought he would. However, day two is getting repetitive. It's clear to me that our leaders know very little about how this stuff works since some of their questions border on the "uninformed" (Trying to be nice)
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:42 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

While I have an account on Facebook, I don't do much of anything other than participate in one group for my hometown.

I think Mr. Zuckerberg is looking good and our senators and congressmen are looking poorly... rather than ask questions they seem to be using their time to get up on their soapboxes and pontificate on their individual political agendas. Much ado about not much.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:43 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Not a FB user here, and not really interested in the inquisition although I saw a clip of Senator Kennedy (R-LA) going after him which was pretty funny and cutting.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:50 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I think Mr. Zuckerberg is looking good and our senators and congressmen are looking poorly... rather than ask questions they seem to be using their time to get up on their soapboxes and pontificate on their individual political agendas. Much ado about not much.
+1

As a practical matter, I do not understand how the 4-minute time limit per Congressperson can result in any sort of meaningful dialogue or progress of any kind, irrespective of what one's view is on what direction that progress should take.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:52 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I heard a little bit on the radio yesterday and thought Zuckerberg was doing pretty well.

Generally, though I avoid listening to Congressional hearings because they are all the same: A bunch of rude old windbags with zero knowledge of the subject at hand, trying to make themselves look good by badgering and humiliating whoever is in front of them.

My dream is to hear a witness say something like: "Senator, was there a question in there somewhere?" or "Senator, I understand your need to pontificate and grandstand. When you're finished with that, I'd be happy to answer whatever substantive question you may have." or "Senator, I didn't come here to be insulted and belittled. If you can't refrain from that I will simply leave."
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:52 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
+1

As a practical matter, I do not understand how the 4-minute time limit per Congressperson can result in any sort of meaningful dialogue or progress of any kind, irrespective of what one's view is on what direction that progress should take.
+1
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:53 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Not interesting to me. The Equifax breach seemed more relevant to me. I don't know who would consider any information on Facebook to be private, regardless of 'settings'.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
... I do not understand how the 4-minute time limit per Congressperson can result in any sort of meaningful dialogue ...
You misunderstand the objective.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:56 AM   #10
gone traveling

Lots of showboating from uninformed congressmen. Don't they do any prep at all?

“So, how do you sustain a business model in which users don’t pay for your service?” Sen. Hatch asked Mark Zuckerberg on Tuesday.

“Senator, we run ads,” replied a smirking Zuckerberg.

LOL. What a waste of time.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:57 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
.... My dream is to hear a witness say something like: "Senator, was there a question in there somewhere?" or "Senator, I understand your need to pontificate and grandstand. When you're finished with that, I'd be happy to answer whatever substantive question you may have." or "Senator, I didn't come here to be insulted and belittled. If you can't refrain from that I will simply leave."
+1 especially the question in there somewhere response. Zuckerberg has been pretty cool and respectful... more than I could have I suspect.

Worst case, since he has FU money he can take the whole shooting match and move it to Canada.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:59 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I do not understand this sentiment. Are you envious of what he has created? He made a huge mistake and is paying the price, rightfully. I hope he makes FB safer and immune to thieves.
In America if you create a really successful company you get wealthy, nothing wrong with that as it motives the smartest and hardest working.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:12 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Pretty sure Zuck and anyone else that sits before these hearings takes it with a grain of salt...I know I would.

It's funny, I wish the public could hold court like this for things like the Office of Personnel Mgmt. They leaked my secret stuff, which I care way more about then anyone leaking my fb data.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:13 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
You misunderstand the objective.
Good point. It would be more accurate to say that what I wish their objective was and what their objective appears to be seem to differ.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:17 PM   #15

I've been listening to it in the background the last 2 days. Anyone who thinks their online info is secure may be smokin' that wacky tobacky. While not a facebook power user, i do have an account to follow my kids' life.

I am getting tired of hearing the same questions asked and the same answers. it is like our Senators and Representatives do not listen at all to the previous questions. Zuckerberg is doing a very good job so far. I think the funniest questions/answers so far was from Sen Durbin. “Mr. Zuckerberg, would you be comfortable sharing with us the name of the hotel you stayed in last night?” and “If you’ve messaged anyone this week, would you share with us the names of the people you’ve messaged?” The obvious replies were "No" and "No" respectively.
CRLLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:26 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4legsgood View Post
Not interesting to me. The Equifax breach seemed more relevant to me. I don't know who would consider any information on Facebook to be private, regardless of 'settings'.
+1 Smartphones reveal much more sensitive data about users than does FB. For example, the accelerometer in smartphones is generally not shielded from apps, which can then use its readings to decipher what a user is tapping, such as a password.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:28 PM   #17

I tire quickly of the dog and pony grandstanding of the politicians trying to look smart. I use FB regularly and anyone who doesn't think any social media site doesn't monetize your information some way shape of form is naive.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:40 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Like many, I am fed up with the grand standing.

I would be far more impressed with our elected leaders if they were to get the Big Mucky Mucks of Equifax on the hot seat and hold them accountable for the ongoing problems they have caused tens of millions of citizens. For some reason they seem to have got a pass from the Feds.

IMHO, the Equifax fiasco is far more damaging to most people than the Facebook mess.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:46 PM   #19

I have a facebook account so I can follow my kids. I occasionally post a photo.

Facbook could provide its services, ad-free, for 99 cents per month.

Instead of paying that, we make a deal where the advertisers pay facebook in exchange for using our personal data for targeted ads.
I have no expectation of privacy for anything I post there.

I haven't followed the hearings, because I don't enjoy watching politicians pontificate, especially when I think any problem could be solved if Americans were willing to pay a few bucks for this service.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 12:48 PM   #20

Political theater. Every minute of it.
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote