The Retire Early Home Page

Old Admin

Dryer sheet wannabe
The "mother lode" of early retirement information is at the Retire Early Home Page.

How many already-ER's out there, besides myself, achieved early retirement because of Intercst's super website?

Intercst's REHP was definitely instramental in pushing me into retirement. I had read "Your Money or Your Life", and found the concept of figuring out what you really were earning a frightening idea. So I did the budget thing - for years, whether I was spending in dollars or krona.

Then I found "Cashing in on the American Dream" by Paul Terhorst. It was starting to seem possible, but both these books had very conservative investment advice. If I had taken it (1) I never would have gotten a big enough nest egg and (2) my husband would have had me locked up. He comes from a long line of equity investors.

In desperation, I searched the internet on the phrase retire early - and this was waaay before Google. The only thing that came up was intercst's page. I could play with numbers! Equities were OK - fine, even. Lots of studies and statistics and spreadsheets (I love Excel). My only idiocy was I kept looking at 4% of my after tax accounts. Definitely not enough. My husband finally told me to add in my retirement accounts and see if I could make it on less than 5% (pretty close to intercst's number and he was tired of my whining) - I could make it on 3%! Sold! - I was retired within 2 months.

So, intercst may have not been the initial impetus, but he sure was the catlyst that pushed me into retirement.

And it is a rainy Thursday - and I get to stay home, away from traffic accidents.

So, thanks, intercst. And thanks Dory for providing a place to babble.

arrete

Thanks for the bio, Arrette.

I discovered the REHP (which led me to my own early retirement) completely by accident.

I had many of the same bad assumptions that others have reported, and was expecting to work for years longer.

A co-worker celebrated his 50th birthday, and the folks at the office papered his office door with "getting old" stuff -- AARP membership forms, webpage printouts on elder care, and so forth. One co-worker taped up a printout of the REHP she had discovered in a search merely for this purpose.

I saw that, and looked at the site out of curiosity.  As a result, I retired YEARS before I would have otherwise! Had I not seen that piece of paper. posted on a door as a gag, I'd still be there slogging it out every day...

Dory36

Hello my friends! I was already thinking about how
to exit early when I read Paul Terhorst's book. So,
he didn't give me the idea but he surely gave me a push.
I found the REHP much later. All good stuff! It's interesting to think how many people could do this but
don't. Of course, as everyone reading this knows, it takes a lot of planning/work. I never did anything that yielded better overall results, or that
was timed better in terms of where I was in my life.
It was right for me. Just wish I had seen that a few years
earlier.

What really helped me to retire early was the "Millionaire Next Door" In Fact I could have wrote it. I have always been like that since I was 25 with one exception. Life is to be enjoyed and as with all of these types of books, They are extremes. I do like a nice car, (my only vise) and I do not buy sub standard items just because they are cheap. I save for the good ones, and simply am not an impulse buyer (That alone will save you a million over a life time if not more).

My favorite line in the whole book is "I am my own charity". Do you folks have any favorites you would like to share?

Ian

I have not read the book. However, "I am my own charity" is pretty good.

I have a couple of rules that I live by, but one that applies to REs is "If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail."

What really helped me to retire early was the "Millionaire Next Door" In Fact I could have wrote it. I have always been like that since I was 25 with one exception. Life is to be enjoyed and as with all of these types of books, They are extremes. I do like a nice car, (my only vise) and I do not buy sub standard items just because they are cheap. I save for the good ones, and simply am not an impulse buyer (That alone will save you a million over a life time if not more).

I started thinking about early retirement after finding the REHP message board on The Motley Fool (now subscription-based, so I'm here now) and then reading Intercst's REHP site. It was part of a financial self-education I started while out of work about 3 years ago. I read The Millionaire Next Door and found it intriguing, too.

I agree with you about extremes. Somewhere along the way I read an example similar to this: You can buy generic cola and ultra cheap beer, but if you insist on Coca-Cola and Heineken just include that in your plans.

I've been "on board" for about a year. Lurking a bit longer. Back in 2003 I was faced with the decision to reinvest in my business or let it wind down. Reinvestment would have been a 5 year committment. After running Firecalc and reading the posts, I concluded 5 minutes was too long to stay locked inside my hamster wheel!

THANKS to everyone connected with this great endeavor.

BUM

I didn't retire early, but I got here as soon as I could. Now the goal is to outlive the bastards. :) :D

Bum,
I love the hamster wheel reference. T'is appropriate. :) I used to envision a giant anthill, with each of us employees running to and fro, carrying our mound of earth. Not really a good metaphor, though, because the anthill has a purpose.

Reactions: BUM
Bum,
I love the hamster wheel reference. T'is appropriate. :) I used to envision a giant anthill, with each of us employees running to and fro, carrying our mound of earth. Not really a good metaphor, though, because the anthill has a purpose.

Eagle43,

I used to have a cute little GIF file of that mythological whatisname who was doomed to push a huge boulder up a hill. When he got it to the top it would roll down and the process would start anew.

Thankfully the job I ERed from was not like that. But from the many posts here one can see the toll, (depression) that repetition or on another thread "sameness", can take on ones spirit.
This negative experience takes huge bites out of lives. I dont know how to respond to those who lament "Yeah, but I only have ten more YEARS to go."

BUM

Hi BUM. I'm with you. I don't know how to respond either. Pity I guess. It's so sad that even I just keep my mouth shut. A most rare event when I hold a
strong opinion :)

JG

Hi BUM.  I'm with you.  I don't know how to respond either.  Pity I guess.  It's so sad that even I just keep my mouth shut.  A most rare event when I hold a
strong opinion   :)

JG

Well you don't need to respond, but that is pretty much me. I have 8 years to go. I don't hate my job but I would much rather be retired. I also can't think of another field that I would rather do over computers, it's just that I am tired of the routine and would much rather have control over my time.

My job allows me to park a lot of money away annually. I will be able to pay my mortgage off this year. I get a month vacation per year and in 3 years I will go up to 5 weeks vacation. In eight years I will be able to retire at age 56 with a reduced Gov't pension, health bennies for life and about a $20k+ per year travel budget. Weeeeee !!!

I think it would be stupid for me to bail out now as I would have to work somewhere and it would mean I would have to work longer than 8 years. The sad truth is that I can not retire until I have enough money socked away to live on - and I'm not there yet.

All I have to do to RE is keep doing what I'm doing now and try to maximize the enjoyment I get out of life. It's not that bad, it will just be better I think once I leave my worklife behind.

-helen

Hello Helen. These are very difficult decisions for most
people. I am a kind of freak in that I just up and quit,
figuring I would work out the details later. I have learned almost no one else does it that way, nor should they. However, one thing that has helped me over the years is:
"Most of the things we worry about never happen."
That has certainly been true in my case.

Good luck.

JG

Helen
IF you think it would be stupid to bail - then it probably would be... There is alot to be said for delayed gratification... With any luck maybe a site closure or downsizing initiative will lead to an early out offer for you...

Stay the course -- semi-retirement = semi-working -- and that sounds entirely too disfunctional.

GD-ER,

Yes, an early out would be nice, but doubtful. I think the demographics are such that they will probably start offering retention bonus' about the time I get ready to pull the plug.

It's not just the money, but as we all know, the health bennies are a biggie. I had a brain aneurysm that I had to deal with a few years ago which gives me a pre-existing condition. I doubt anyone would offer me a solo plan.

I had always been healthy before the aneurysm and had no symptoms. I went in for a MRI for a hearing loss and there she was - yikes ! Totally unrelated to the hearing loss.

Anyway I opted to have an endovascular coiling; they went in through an artery in my leg and snaked up to my brain and put a platinum coil inside the aneurysm. One stitch and 24 hours in ICU for observation and that was it !!!! But wow, the bills that Blue Cross picked up - Yikes again !!!!

So, I'm stuck for now at the daily grind, but the end is in sight. And, it is really fun to have a goal and to see that I am on track to meet the goal.

Bye for now,

-helen

Hello Helen. Just a quick observation. I have a whole "laundry list" of health problems. Most
showed up after retirement. This (fear of inevitable
health decline) was a major reason I quit working.
Irony for sure.

JG

Hello Helen.  Just a quick observation.  I have a whole "laundry list" of health problems.  Most
showed up after retirement.  This (fear of inevitable
Irony for sure.

JG

Yes, I feel the irony too. The brain aneurysm woke me up to the fact that I may not make it to age 96 like my Father. However, I can't pull the plug until the variables are within striking range.

Glad everything is working out for you !

-helen

on Today at 5:32am, MRGALT2U wrote:Hello Helen. Just a quick observation. I have a whole "laundry list" of health problems. Most
showed up after retirement. This (fear of inevitable
Irony for sure.

Glad everything is working out for you !

-helen

I'm in basically the same boat. I retired at 38 and worried only abourt living to 100. Almost emideatley my health started going downhill BUT in my case the additional irony was that going to the doctor and following the protocol for "high cholesterol" (there is some early onset heart disease in the family so I figured it was worth treating) caused most of my problems. Non-reversable adverse drug reactions.

Now I have to consider that I will not live very long but still cannot follow a policy of spending like there's no tomorrow because I just don't KNOW how many tomorrow's I have. Maybe I will live to 90 after all.

It's always something! Well, at least I don't have to go to work every day.

I'm in basically the same boat.  I retired at 38 and worried only abourt living to 100. Almost emideatley my health started going downhill BUT in my case the additional irony was that going to the doctor and following the protocol for "high cholesterol" (there is some early onset heart disease in the family so I figured it was worth treating)  caused most of my problems. Non-reversable adverse drug reactions.
to work every day.

Razz,

Man, that sucks big time. You were trying to do the right thing and take care of yourself.

I am really interested in hearing more if you don't mind. I found out six months ago that my total cholesterol is around 293, but my good cholesterol is really high so my ratios are good. My doctor doesn't agree that the ratios make the numbers OK and wants me to go on a high cholesterol drug.

Do you mind sharing what drugs you were on and what impact it has had ?

Thank you !

-helen

Razz,

Man, that sucks big time. You were trying to do the right thing and take care of yourself.

I am really interested in hearing more if you don't mind. I found out six months ago that my total cholesterol is around 293, but my good cholesterol is really high so my ratios are good. My doctor doesn't agree that the ratios make the numbers OK and wants me to go on a high cholesterol drug.

Do you mind sharing what drugs you were on and what impact it has had ?

Thank you ! -helen

I was on Lipitor when it was a new drug. I was a guinea pig for the drug company. And my cholesterol wasn't all THAT high to begin with but hey, we're supposed to trust they doctor right?

They want to take one blood test as proof you need to be on medictaion forever and then require that you have your blood tested every 2 to 3 months forever. NOT to check your cholesterol but to make suree the drug isn't killing you via muscle wasting or liver destruction. But they will insist you must take teh drug or "risk" a heart atack or stroke. Then you ask them directly OK, so what are MY chances of a H/A or stroke with and without the drugs and they can't tell you. They might say your chances are X% higher trhan average but then they cannot tell you what the average person's chances are.

Anyway... the side effects of the statin were almost everything listed on the box except cancer and rhabdomyelisis. I will be on medication forever to counter act the effects of having my metabolism fried...AND the ill effects that are concomitant with frying one's metabolism. Osteoporosis, weight gain, and last year serious breathing problems that fortunately turned out to NOT be heart problems.

I was also hit with permanent ADRs from an antibiotic. Peripheral neuropathy mostly. (pain and numbness in my feet and legs. Squelched my exercise routine.

Of course all these effects were misdiagnosed for at least 3 yrs as all new diseases that "just happened" because I was "getting older" (I was 41) And along with this crap it cost me hundreds of thousands of dollars in boigus tests for conditions I didn't have but the dr wished I had and for theneeded tests that showed the conditions I DID have. And I will now have to spend 100,000 bucks for medication if I live to 80 and that's a guess. Who knows what iflation will do

Now, of course I DO have insurance but A) that isn't going to give me my health back and B) Even tho I really didnt pay for all that out of my own pocket the dr was shaking the money tree apparently without regard to my health. The only new disease we discovered was "Cholesterol Neurosis" on the part of Doctors

If the Dr wants to put you on drugs for "cholesterol" get the percentages he's worried about and get data on your arteries, They will refuse to get it. Because: 1) The test , cardiac catheterization, is hazardous, and 2) In most cases it will eliminate the need for drugs because it will show nice clear arteries.

I was on Lipitor when it was a new drug....
If the Dr wants to put you on drugs for "cholesterol" get the percentages he's worried about and get data on your arteries, They will refuse to get it. Because: 1) The test , cardiac catheterization, is hazardous, and 2) In most cases it will eliminate the need for drugs because it will show nice clear arteries.
The drug companies must be doing a hard of sell cholesterol reducing drugs. Our family doctor was.

He prescribed them for my father-in-law, who was taking an expensive cholesterol reducer up until he died -- of lung cancer.

When my annual blood test showed higher than normal cholesterol, the doctor suggested the same drug. Instead of taking medication, I reduced my consumption of beef and cheese and started walking daily. My cholesterol levels have been in the normal range ever since.

He prescribed them for my father-in-law, who was taking an expensive cholesterol reducer up until he died -- of lung cancer.

When my annual blood test showed higher than normal cholesterol, the doctor suggested the same drug. Instead of taking medication, I reduced my consumption of beef and cheese and started walking daily. My cholesterol levels have been in the normal range ever since.

Exactly! In my case however the LDLs (bad cholesterol) is still uncomfortably high even for me BUT the NIH heart atatck risk assessor says I only have a 4% chance of a HA in the next 10 yrs. I am 47 So like what should I worry about exactly?
My current Dr insistats that my cholesterol should be below 100. Well the recent report he cited was addressing ONLY high risk patients specifically denoted as : older, with heart failure, already had a heart attack oir bypass operation. NOT, healthy 40ish people. He still insisted and refused to ackowlegde that I was right about the report. And they wonder why some people go postal!

As far as your father-in-law... how can they be sure his lung cancer wasn't caused by the Lipitor? MAybe he was a smoker. That's just playing perentages tho, not proof

Statins cause cancer. It's in the lab data. THAT is why you need to have the liver tests done every 3 months. But if somebody gets cancer while on statins... hey man anybody can get cancer. Lots of people NOT on statins get cancer. That is how they defraud and deceive.

Man this is interesting! My cholesterol was off the chart.
Can't take the typical meds as my liver function is screwed up (probably all those manhattans) :)
Anyway, I went on the "wab" diet as suggested by our dear friend wabmester, and so I ate MORE meat and MORE cheese, but no juices, soda, bread, pasta,
rice, potatoes and cut back on sugar. Shazamm,
dropped my cholesterol 54 points in 6 weeks. About 2 months ago I had a heart scan just for grins. It looked good. Also, my last blood test said my cholesterol
related risk was just average. No family history of heart
disease or stroke. Bottom line, I am feeling pretty good
about this problem, which frees me up to worry about other stuff :)

JG

Hello GD-ER. I was told to do all sorts of things and take all sorts of tests. I had abnormalities, anomalies,
weird symptoms. As is my custom I ignored just about
everything (except the Wabmester diet which DW thinks is
pretty funny). Anyway, the heart scan was my idea.
Non-invasive, quick, not too pricey. That nuclear
stress test scared the hell out of me. I knew I was not
having that one.

JG

Back
Top Bottom