The rest of Responses to embarking

embarking

Confused about dryer sheets
embarking:
Re: Burning Question« Reply #4 on: Today at 12:46pm »
The Federal 401k (TSP) fees was until recently .06%, now 0.1%, which = apx $237/yr. I live in an apartment in Large Metro - no car. In other words, I am not anticipating large expenses. My taxes will be much much lower when I stop working - no problem here. Thanks for your advice I started to get worried there. I did read a lot about The Four Pillars that is what was on the website. It did not seem to be geared to asset allocation though. I may be wrong because I have been trying to absorb so much info in a short period. However, I take your advice about not to worry too much about my asset allocation. I just wonder if I’ll be able to know when I should switch all my savings at least temporarily to the absolute safety of the G Fund should the S&P have a major down period.

NordsRecycles dryer sheets
Re: Asset allocation in the back of Four Pillars« Reply #5 on: Today at 2:07pm »
Embarking, that proposal skirts the boundary of market timing, not asset allocation. Instead of "buy & forget", when you set an asset allocation and keep rebalancing every year or so then the conventional wisdom is that your rebalancing will take care of the dreaded "major down period". Otherwise you'll end up in the G fund on the market's first "irrational hysteria" blip and you'll sit there for a couple decades waiting for someone to ring a bell and tell you that it's safe to get back in the water. There's at least one other poster trying that approach and the rest of us aren't very impressed by it. The back of Four Pillars (available in just about every public library in the country) has a number of sample portfolios and the means of rebalancing them.

Response to NORDS last post

I like that expression, "waiting for someone to ring a bell," as a metaphor for what I thought I needed to learn. I thought rebalancing was just making sure that one's percentages remain set to the desired percent verses deciding which funds to allocate various amounts of one's savings (asset allocation). I will read your suggested books. I already went to the IRA help forum you suggested.
I didn't mean to suggest that I would go to either extremes of market timing or buy & forget. After deciding to leave my savings in the 401k I wanted to know if by reading certain recommended books, daily or weekly financial news reports or just listening to financial news on TV on an regular basis, would I be able to know when I should move more money say into the Bond Index or the Small Caps, etc., before I would loose a lot staying in the S&P. Perhaps it is a too stupidly simple question I'm asking.
Waiting for the Bell to Ring.......

For embarking:
Don't underestimate the value of the G Fund. There is nothing else like it. In effect, you are getting long-term Government interest rates in a money market fund. It has a full guarantee by Federal Government.

The G fund consists of internal agency securities that are not available to the public.

Have fun.

John R.

Back
Top Bottom