What is one of your interesting quotes?

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
In the past when I read a book I would put good quotes on index cards - they are somewhere around the house.

One good place for quotes is:
www.quotelady.com

There was the following on the site today.
"So one thing I want to say about life is don't be scared and don't hang back, and most of all, don't waste it." ~ Joan W. Blos

As one planing early retirement for next year I do feel like I've been wasting life a bit while biding my time.

So... What is a favorite quote of your?

Boy oh boy

You opened the door on that one:

"God looks after drunkards, fools
and The United States of America"
Charles DeGaul

I think of it - whenever a brilliant investment idea - toys with my resolve to hold balanced index funds.

Of course almost anything by the two Yogi's is good - the cartoon bear and the human one.

"...courage soon discovers the resources of the most desperate situation." - Edward Gibbon

If you can't stand the answer, don't ask the question.(unknown)

John Galt

Or how about..... "We have met the enemy and he is us!" Pogo

John Galt

I have an email folder where I save these. Here are a few of my favorites.

Trust those who search for truth, ignore those who have found it. - Unknown

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something. - Plato

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. - Thomas Alva Edison

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Democrats are the party that says government can make you richer, smarter, taller and get the chickweed out of your lawn. Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work, then get elected and prove it. - P.J. O'Rourke

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is. - Unknown

As I grow older, I pay less attention to what men say. I just watch what they do. - Andrew Carnegie

What you do has very little importance, and it's very important that you do it. - Mahatmas Ghandi

If things seem like they're under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Any day above ground is a great day. - Unknown

And one more from my buddy George... :)

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.

- George Carlin

"I didn't think I was smart enough to be president. Then I looked at the others running and I knew I was."
Jimmy Carter

My personal mantra, (at least until I'm fully retired)... " It's Friday. Nothing can go wrong."

BUM

"Man is incapable of comprehending any argument that interferes with is revenue".

Rene Descartes.

RRe: What is one of your interesting quotes?

"There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no independence quite so important, as living within your means." Calvin Coolidge

"All mans's miseries derice from not being able to sit quietly in a room, alone." "Blazin'" Blaise Pascal

"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to leave alone." Hank Thoreau

The world is too much with us; late and soon
Getting and spending, we lay waste our power."
Wordsworth

"Some people are leaders, some are followers,
and a few just don't want to join the parade"
That REHP Guy

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt on Success

"Throw Long"
Joe Namath on Success

"I find a way, while others find excuses!"
O.T. Sea

When choosing between two evils, I like to try the one I haven't tried before... - Mae West ;)

-Adventuregirl

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

"Life is hard. It's harder if you are stupid." - John Wayne

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
- Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
-Douglas Adams

"I, for one, will welcome our new insect overlords."
-Homer Simpson

It has been awhile; but I think the question was:
What is the meaning of life?

"Youth is wasted on the young" (G. B. Shaw) and...

... retirement is wasted on the old. (Unknown-- everyone wants the credit.)

If I was giving a presentation that I suspected would bring skepticism or was presenting something fairly "forward thinking", I had a powerpoint foil I'd put up front with a couple of good ones chosen from a long list I had compiled. I'd put it up on screen while I spent a few minutes wrapping up my prep, let the audience read them and invariably remark amongst themselves how little we really know. Thanks for doing the hard part for me folks!

Here's a couple of financial ones, some misc, and a few computer related ones.

"Large profits can be made in common stocks. Large losses can be made in common stocks." – Peter Lynch

"Stocks have reached what looks like a permanently high plateau." – Irving Fisher, Professor of Economics, Yale University (1929)

"Computers in the future may perhaps only weigh 1.5 tons. (Popular Mechanics forecasting the development of computer technology, 1949)

"I see no advantage whatsoever to the graphical user interface." (Bill Gates, 1983)

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." (Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943 on seeing the first mainframe computer)

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."(Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of now defunct Digital Equipment Corp., 1977)

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." Bill Gates, 1981

"I have travelled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won't last out the year." (Editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall, 1957.)

"This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us." (Western Union memo, 1876.)

"The wireless music box has no imaginable commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?" (David Sarnoff's associates in response to his urgings for investment in the radio in the 1920's.)

"Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?" (HM Warner, Warner Bros, 1927.)

"We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out." (Decca Recording Company rejecting the Beatles, 1962.)

"Heavier than air flying machines are impossible." (Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.)

"Airplanes are interesting toys but of no military value". (Marechal Ferdinand Foch, Professor of Strategy, Ecole Superieure de Guerre.)

"Everything that can be invented has been invented." (Charles H Duell, Commissioner, US Office of Patents, 1899.)

"Louis Pasteur's theory of germs is ridiculous fiction." (Pierre Pachet, Professor of Physiology at Toulouse, 1872.)

"The abdomen, the chest, and the brain will forever be shut from the intrusion of the wise and humane surgeon." (Sir John Eric Ericksen, British surgeon, appointed SurgeonExtraordinary to Queen Victoria, 1873.)

My first 6 months of ER:
"A fine and pleasant misery"
- Cautionary tales of the Outdoor life by Patrick McManus

My experience with a CFP in 2000 (just mine not applicable to all):
"Your first clue that his sense of direction is somewhat overrated comes when he says something like, 'Hey, now that's weird! The sun is setting in the east!'"
- Patrick McManus
TV

My son thinks Patrick McManus is hilarious, I couldn't
get into his humor.

John Galt

Ever since slothing thru college, one of my favorite
expressions has been "when in doubt, sack out".
It is even more appropriate now at my tender
age of 70.

Cheers,

Charlie

Back
Top Bottom