DRIP Question

KB

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I sold all my DRIP stocks last year to pay cash for my house. Now that I have a clear plan to retire early, I want to start investing in some stocks again.

Am I correct in remembering that the record keeping involved with DRIPS is keeping track of all purchases and all reimvested amounts that have been taxed? Am I missing anything else?

THanks

Oh yea, Oh yea, Oh yea!

Adjusted tax basis in ALL it's nefareous forms. 37 stocks - two drawer file cabinet of folders. The really pesky ones are the spin offs that get away from you. I have 3 shares of UBS ag (no DRIP) via the old Paine Webber, 11 shares of Anadarko Petroleum via spin off AND merger from Union Pacific and a few others. The easy part is the 1099 - div each year. Make sure you readjust your tax basis/share to reflect reinvested divs. The merger for shares plus some cash - partial spin -offs, and the unplanned all cash buyout, or OR the surviving company doesn't have a DRIP plan leaving you an odd lot to sell. Since 1989, my accountant's hair has gotten steadily grayer - she always puts on a brave face and says no problem - what a trooper.

I share unclemick's pain with small quantities of
spin-off stocks that would cost more to sell than
they are worth. Couldn't even donate them to my
church.

Cheers,

Charlie

Thanks for your replies. Per share tax basis is something I didn't do last time. I think last time I just keep track of the total cost basis, and vowed to sell all or nothing.

Back
Top Bottom