Once You Developed Your Plan...Did You

Tommy_Dolitte

Recycles dryer sheets
find yourself getting bored?   :-/

I'm about 75% done (I think).  I've got a schedule to review, worksheet linked to critical info, and some good books to read in my leisure.

Seriously though, it's like I'm finally REALLY    :-* getting it...it's linked to my purpose and is not just intellectualized... :)

...just wondering if this has been a shared experience for anyone else that has "arrived".

TD
;)

Hoepfully my sex drive will pick up now.... :eek: :D :D :-X :p

Good questions.
But are you really prepared? Here is what I am doing so far.
Health check ups:
-hart stress test
-dental exam
-colonospencey
-getting in shape - losing weight; exercising
Financial check up
- getting house in order to sell
- getting finances inorder to provide the income I need
- set a date to give notice at work
- sell everything I don't need
Transition
- writting down what I will do when I retire
- understanding that there will be phases to my retirement and what I go through
I'm sure I missed a lot of things.
Others on the board may be able to add to what needs to be done.

I think that writing down what you want to do at retirement BEFORE you retire is very important. There is a link under "Lifestyles in Retirement" about "Things to do Before you Die" that follows that logic and I think is a very important part of any ER plan.

I like your idea of taking care of your physical well-being as well as your financial well-being since one purpose of FIRE is to be healthy enough to enjoy it.

I have such a written plan and find myself doing some of the things on my list since I am already partially retired and adding to that list almost as quickly. I don't get bored because I have lots of interests. I like reading, traveling, cooking, listening to and playing music. I want to climb mountains, catch even bigger fish, scuba dive, walk on a glacier, go deer and turkey hunting, drive cross-country, and hundreds of other things. I've gone deep sea fishing many times, but now I want to learn about fly fishing and give that a try. I've travelled to many tourist hot-spots, but now I want to find those hidden gems that don't attract many tourists.

IF you cannot write enough things down to do at retirement or find yourself feeling bored about your life after working, it may mean that your job has caused you to lose interest in life. I know people like this. No matter how hard I try with some people, they are locked into their work. They say things like "I can't go on vacation because nobody can fill in for me" or "I've worked doing the same thing for XX years and it's all I know" or "If I don't go to work, I feel useless." These people have a million reasons why they can't stop working when they need only one reason why they should ER.

I remember being in stressful situations at work and wishing I were sitting on an island with a fishing pole by myself next to a blue lagoon with only the sound of ocean waves. The dream of making that wish a reality is what gives me the drive to ER and I know the nightmare of returning to the stress of work will keep me in ER.

Boring is good.

C'mon, Tommy, you want your retirement portfolio to bore you with the knowledge that it'll support you for the rest of your life.

I spent a career living with long months of boredom punctuated by bursts of intense activity & sheer panic. Considering the alternatives, I prefer boredom. I also prefer sleeping at night and sleeping through the night.

If you want exciting investments, put your entire retirement portfolio in a margin account and short Google (GOOG). It may go up, it'll probably go down, but I can guarantee that it won't be boring!

Save your excitement for one-footed bungee jumping or cliff diving.

Re. "bored", I am simply loaded, every day. The time just fills up and the days fly by. I told someone
yesterday that it may be a good thing I am not the least bit handy.
Otherwise, my to-do list would double with projects and I can't keep up now. Of course, my to-do list includies a
lot of screwing around and fun stuff. Still.........................

John Galt

Re.  "bored", I am simply loaded, every day.

I tried that too. Got tired of trying to decide which one of the two golf balls I was looking at to hit ;)

If you are married to your job you might get bored in retirement. :( I've been out 7 years and haven't been bored for 1 second! :D

Back
Top Bottom