Which sector do you like?

GTM

Recycles dryer sheets
I know from reading the Four Pillars of Investing picking the next hot sector is not an easy thing to do.

If you were to invest in one particular sector of the stock market for 2005 which would you choose.

I don't see any sure bets on the horizon, but there's a lot that looks like it has topped out. I would bet that 2005 won't be a good year for energy, real estate, and financials.

Healthcare got pretty beat up this year, which just makes me like it more.

As a nasty market timer,i always buy my energy stuff in octoberish,quite often that is the best seasonal low of the year.This is something ive discovered from years of buying to early in the year.Of course since equities in general make a good octoberish yearly low,you could just use the shotgun approach during this time frame.I like health care too,despite the obvious legislative and regulatory risks.But theres something to be said for ETF's in this regard,since single issues could easily blow up(think MRK or PFE).Picking sectors is difficult,and i would suggest a seasonal allocation to market indice over trying to pick future high flyers.Your either on board from Halloween time frame or stand aside in my opinion.Next october will be another seasonal bargain time.Good luck--ak

According to Schwab:

"Currently, Schwab is recommending that clients overweight telecommunications, health care and energy. Here is why we believe those three sectors are poised to outperform over the next three to 12 months -- and do not miss our handpicked investment ideas in the nearby boxes. " :-X

Oh, yeah, Schwab.

The brokerage whose "F"-rated stocks turned in a better 2003 performance than their "A"-rated stocks. They probably made a ton of money anyway that year and could lower their fees... no, wait, that doesn't work either.

Schwab's 2004 numbers will be in soon. I wonder if it'll be as contrarian as 2003... and 2005?

I'll stick to small-cap value. Hey, waitaminnit, didn't Bernstein say something about that?

All the "noise" I have heard from the financial guru's are that "Large Caps" is the way to go in 05, and small caps have run out of steam. But....what do they know.

Regards,
Bill

Back
Top Bottom