where safe 2% plus

searcher

Dryer sheet wannabe
Where is a good safe place to get a 2% real return ?
Tips - Cds - bond mutual funds - :confused:
Is there a downside to TIP mutual funds ?

2%? All we need is a third party arrangement and you can have your 2%.

I'd give anything to be able to margin at a 2% rate.

Az, note that he said 2% real, not nominal.

Searcher, I suppose you'll have to dig around. Something floating rate would probably give you a rough approximation of a real return, like maybe a bank loan fund or something similar. Alternatively, look around at various TIPS, I bond and inflation-indexed options. I suspect that a guaranteed 2% real will be tough to come by.

Hey azanon, you can margin at -0- % if you have enough credit
cards :)

JG

Where are these swr 4% rates comming from, or are those based on averages vs guarenteed ?

Where are these swr 4% rates comming from, or are those based on averages vs guarenteed ?
More specifically, here: http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/restud1.html

In short, the 4% rule will consume at least some of your principle. The study is done on historical survivability of the portfolio over given timespans with given investment mixes. It's not a Norwegian-widow-living-off-dividends-and-interest scenario.

I have a Morgan Stanley CPI/Floating
rate bond which yields 220 bps + CPI.
It's rated as AA3/A+, due 2013.
I suppose you could shop around for
equivalent floating rate instruments.

Anyone knows of any good sites to search
for these floating rate notes?

Joe

Yes, you can find them on Vanguard's Bond Desk
data base. You have to have a brokerage account,
however.

Cheers,

Charlie

Sounds like 2% is not the issue, in fact a 4% average is probably closer to reality. It is the 'guarentee' of 2% that is what is harder to get. Do I have it right ?
In other words if I figure that 2% over inflation leaves us in good shape, then we we should be.

Back
Top Bottom