See @ Last, See @ Last, Thank God I Can See @ Last

Beachbumz

Recycles dryer sheets
The biggest chicken in the world :-[ (at least as far as medical procedures go) finally got up the nerve to have LASIK surgery! And, now, for the first time ever, I am reading this board without glasses. :D

NOW, LIFE IS GOOD.

Beachbumz

Re: See @ Last, See @ Last, Thank God I Can See @

Hi Beach! I don't think I am the "biggest chicken in the world", but LASIK is something I have no desire to do.
(or contacts either). Had my glasses over 50 years and like the way I look in them. So, another decision off the
table.

Glad you are satisfied with your results.

JG

Congratulations. Isn't it wonderful?

If you just had it done, your vision will clear up over a period of time, I think mine changed very gradually over a month or two.

I agree, Life is good.

Woohoo! Congrats! It's very liberating to be free of corrective devices. Waking up in the morning and seeing clearly is fantastic. I had fun destroying my glasses shortly after surgery: I'd say "whoops!" as I repeatedly lobbed them across the room much to the amusement of my relatives. (We're easily amused.)

You think lasik is scary...I had the knife-in-doctor's-hand RK a few years ago. I remember they gave me valium to ease my nerves, but when it was time I told them I didn't think it was working because I was still very nervous. :-/ Actually some form of laser surgery was available then, but it was new and I decided to go with the then-tried-and-true method.

EDIT: My grandmother had cataract surgery in recent years, and now they can correct your vision in the process. She still wore glasses afterward, but the rest of us were puzzled why because there appeared to be absolutely no correction in the lenses. I suppose long habits and self image are hard to break. At least the lenses were thin and light instead of the coke bottles she had before.

EDIT 2: My vision changed for a couple of weeks to a month after RK, but I thought the lasik had very little change afterward; in fact I'm told by a couple of friends that they say the danger is in being careless because you don't feel that anything is amiss and forget about how vulnerable the cornea is after surgery.

Congratulations!

I guess I'm still in the running for biggest chicken. I'm really nearsighted (about -7 diopters) with a slight astigmatism in one eye, and have worn glasses for 25 of my 35 years.

But I am considering that "custom Lasik"; I think they also call it "waveform Lasik" where they map out the surface of your eye and correct differently based on the map.

How is the visual acuity compared to glasses? Any side effects? Any advice?

malakito

Beachbumz? Beachbumz? Where are you? We can barely hear you? Hello? Hello? :-X

Yeah but have you tried driving at night yet Beachbumz? Also, how dry are your eyes now?

I had cataracts removed from both eyes recently.
Improved my vision but did not change my outlook.
:D

Cheers,

Charlie

Congrats!! DH and I both have had LASIK in the last few years and LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!

My eyesight is not ba enough to warrant a lasik surgery.

I had the custom lasik in October. Had previously for 15 years had the toric extended wear contacts.
i had considerable astigmatism (6+).
the custom or wavefront is when they use a computer to build a custom map of your eye, rather than the doc giving you the standard treatment.
I have done well, once I got past some dry eyes. I have some starbursts at night, however it is reducing and is considerably better than my contacts.
The custom lasik for me was the diff between 20/15 and 20/20 or 20/25. Actually, I could read better than 20/15, but they didnt have charts to go lower.
I am very cautious of my eyes and waited until the wavefront was available, and even then waited until my doc had done several.
I am pleased, I did not go with the popularly advertised specials in the local shopper, but decided to go with a doc who regularly does excellent cataract surgeries and such. I was reluctant to pay the additional 300 dollars over the shopper price, but now feel that it would have been less than prudent not to spend it.

If you're like me, you discovered after vision correction that past the first 30 minutes of "so thats what everything looks like!", everything being a little fuzzy wasnt so bad ;)

I agree, better vision didnt supply me with any additional insight! :-/

Indeed...I'm starting to have to hold things a little further away to read them, and I'll be damned if I'll increase my eyeglass prescription.

By the way, every single #$^%#$ing thing made for babies has manuals, directions for assembly and little LED displays made for 20 year old eyes. I've been squinting so much the last 3 weeks that I've about had it... :mad:

I got my first pair of specs at age 44.

Even if you don't need glasses - :confused: are not glasses 'part of the uniform' if you are in any part of the IT biz. Makes you look serious and er - well properly geeky.

I still have fond memories of some of my old pocket protectors working at Boeing - fresh out of college.

Sometimes it was 'a good thing' when dealing with dirty blonds in the Pacific Northwest.

Mrs. Zipper was very near-sighted and had to wear glasses since she was a girl.

Without them she would be blind.

She had custom Lasik surgery here in London in November and her vision now at age 56 is as good as mine. (perfect) :D

One odd thing though.

Before surgery, she could take off her glasses and read close-up.

I've had to wear reading glasses since my mid-forties. Yet my distance vision remains perfect.

Now Mrs. Zipper has to wear readers so we have a dozen pairs of drugstore glasses stored everywhere. :D

Yes, having to wear "readers" after the lasik surgery is common if your wife was severly nearsighted. I had the same issue. When I was wearing glasses to see distance I took them off to read close up. Before I had the surgery the doc told me that the fact that I was nearsighted was what kept my upclose vision good and once he corrected for the far away, I would still be left with 40+ year old eyes that would need correction for reading. He told me in advance which was good. I still am happy as I can read some things, glasses makes it easier. I am still happy I did it.

I had the lasik wave front thing myself...my vision cleared up fast, no halos, no dry eyes, but I was RELIGIOUS about the drops and stuff for the first month.

My doctor has done 1000's of surgeries including Tiger Woods and lots of other surgeons and professional athletes. I felt better paying a little more for someone experienced.

I went back to the Dr. yesterday. Things are still a bit "fuzzy" which is normal, but I have 20/20 in my right eye and 20/40 in my left. (The day before, I could not make out the bit 'E' on the eye chart. :eek: ) He said anything under 20/60 the first day was excellent. The dry eyes have not been a problem, as I too am religious about using the drops. Sleeping with goggles on is not much fun, but only have to do this for a week.

The lady in front of me was doing the monovision thing, I don't now the results.

I went with the wavefront or custom LASIK procedure as everything I read said this was the way to go. I had a slight astigmatism in each eye. This procedure is supposed to be better for the night time vision, but I have not driven at night yet.

My advice would be to do the wavefront lasik (if qualified) and use a reputable doctor, not the $699 per eye people. Ask for referrals. The basik lasik procedure was $2500, wavefront added another $800. But, it was time for new glasses anyway, and I figure that would have cost me $600. For those that are still working, running this through a flex spending plan would be ideal.

And, yes, now my close up vision is not as good, but the doc says that should improve with time...we'll see!

Beachbumz

Indeed...I'm starting to have to hold things a little further away to read them, and I'll be damned if I'll increase my eyeglass prescription.

By the way, every single #$^%#$ing thing made for babies has manuals, directions for assembly and little LED displays made for 20 year old eyes. I've been squinting so much the last 3 weeks that I've about had it... :mad:

TH,

Is that a pain or what? I bragged about having perfect vision at 50. Now at 53 I'm wearing "buck-and-a-halfs" (1.50 diopter) to read. Same for DW. We load up a couple times a year at the dollar store. Only thing... I keep a pair on my desk, in the car, by the LaZYBoy, on the night stand, on the workbench, and in my griefcase. DW on the otherhand starts out with a 50 pair EVERYWHERE. Then slowly over time they wind up in huge piles in only 3 places...her desk, chair and in the bathroom!

Any behavioral scientists a-board?

BUM 8)

It's endemic.

I still go out in public and forget to take a pair with me. My kid shows me things by shoving them a foot away from my face and can't understand why I recoil in terror. I have four pair scattered around the house so that I'm only 20 feet away from losing them at any time. My spouse is quietly gloating in the knowledge that both her parents are presbyopia-free.

My father used to wear a pair, shove them up on his head for a distant look, and forget he'd put them there. Then he'd walk around the house griping "Where are my d&*n glasses?" When I did that to myself last week, I immediately apologized to him for all those years of laughing at his absent-mindedness...

So gosh, who wouldn't clamp their eyeballs to a suction device and let an alleged experienced professional carve on them with lasers?

Yep, there is some behavioral science to this.

What it boiled down to is if you have something that you really enjoy that is critical to you, you should have only one of them, as then you will take best care of it and always keep it with you or know where it is. Otherwise you discard it as an inessential item in areas that are most convenient to do so.

I start out the day with 8 pairs of glasses next to the computer, which is really the only place I need them. As if this writing, I have one set on my face, one still next to the computer...I'm sure both cars have a pair in them, I'm sure there are 2-3 pair on the counter in the bathroom and another pair or two on the kitchen counter.

The study I read (and which was very interesting) was done by a female researcher who had a favorite nail file she was never without. She liked it so much she bought 3 more of them. And could never find any of them after that.

With regards to the glasses on the head thing, I can do one better.

I got a couple of pairs of glasses from that $19 glasses place Nords recommended. They worked out fine except the quality is...well...what you'd expect for $19 glasses. I have one of those soft nose pads that pops out once a week or so and one of the lenses comes out of the frame periodically and I have to reshape the frame a little to make it stay in. Other than that, a happy purchase. So the other night, I'm lying in bed with the baby and I hand him off to his mother, and while doing that he swats the glasses off my face and I notice the nose pad is missing. Not wanting it to end up eaten by a baby or a cat, we ended up turning the whole bed upside down.

Then I noticed the pad still stuck to the side of my nose. :-[

To a baby, everything is food.

That behavior analysis makes a lot of sense. I'm surviving on three pair but I'm resisting adding a pair to each car and my (*sigh*) toolbox. I'm also afraid to buy in bulk before my eyes settle in. At least I don't feel so bad when I step on them (another Freudian behavior).

I think the moment of truth will arrive when I start pricing prescription snorkel mask lenses. Surely some enterprising boomer entrepreneur makes them in bifocals now?

I dunno-- my FIL wears his reading glasses on a neck lanyard. Then he adds his sunglasses (also on a lanyard). By the end of the day he's nearly strangled himself, and he doesn't have a pony tail.

OT, you'd be amazed what babies can ingest & survive. (Of course, you're reviewing the evidence with every diaper change!) But it's good to be ready to hold them upside-down by their ankles to administer a well-placed whack between the shoulder blades. I'm still bemused at how kids seem to survive all of our most well-intentioned efforts to raise them.

Re: To a baby, everything is food.

I think the moment of truth will arrive when I start pricing prescription snorkel mask lenses.  Surely some enterprising boomer entrepreneur makes them in bifocals now?

I suppose they do, but just how much reading do you do underwater? Not that I should talk -- I had to have prescription swim goggles. I'm very nearsighted, and the idea of being in the water without being able to see clearly scared the he## out of me.

As for forgetting the reading glasses ... my DH has a new ritual when we go to a restaurant. He gets halfway to the table, slaps his chest pocket and mutters, "Da## ... I have to go back to the car," much to the consternation of the wait staff.

I started using low end reading glasses (1 to 1.25) 6 years ago at 51. I'm still haven't fully accepted this reality so I sometimes forget to take them. I'll get used to having them eventually. The one good thing is that around here, they are only $ .99 a pair.

MJ

Back
Top Bottom