CDs: what to do?

Berkshire_Bull

Recycles dryer sheets
Is anyone holding off on buying CDs until the climbing rates seem to take a breather? I notice now my ING MM is paying 2.8% and the CDs are yielding 3.4%. About 2 months ago I bought a couple thousand worth of their CDs and am getting 2.75 on them :mad: Whats everyone doing in respect to CD rates?

I should have been more specific. I'm talking about only $5k in CDs. The ladder's a good idea but is it economical for small amounts like what I'm looking to do?

If you are not interested in laddering (which makes sense for a small amount), I would just find the highest rate you can on a 5 year CD that has a penalty for early W/D of 6 months interest or less. If rates flop around, you leave it there. If rates spike, you pull the money and reinvest.

Some places also offer intermediate term "jump up" certificates, like DCU. You buy (i think) a 15 or 27 month cert with a rate in the ~3-3.5% range, and once during the term of the cert you can jump the interest rate to current.

I think the 4-5 year with a six month forfeiture clause will still get you a better rate if you keep it for at least 3 years.

I'm buying ~1 year cd's right now and waiting. I suspect we'll see a happier rate a lot sooner than 2 years from now.

Dollar/Rate cost average into a ladder.
Like to learn more about this. Would you have a link handy or have time to offer an explanation? thanks

I don't have CD's and am not retired, but for my shorter term investments I've purchased I-bonds in smaller amounts but have other money in money market accounts and am holding off on longer term fixed rate investments til things settle down a bit. I've found some local banks that are paying a bit over 3% for money markets.

[www.fisn.com]

Have you ever used them?

SWR

I personally have not used them, but know someone that has, and they are pleased with them. They have several links on their page to 'verify' their company's history, so they are definitely a legit company...and the rates they offer (FDIC-insured CDs) are fairly good, although keep a careful watch on the terms of the callable/step-up CDs.

Have you ever used them?

SWR

I use them all the time, but just to check rates...never bought from them (to be honest I didn't even know you could) I just like the quick and dirty list of the best performing CD rates in the country all on one page.

Back
Top Bottom