Wacky warning labels

Martha

Moderator Emeritus
There is a yearly contest by Michigan Lawsuit Abuse Watch for warning labels that evidence our preoccupation with getting sued.

This years winner: A flushable toilet brush that warns users "Do not use for personal hygiene"

Other winners:

--- a label on a popular scooter for children that warns: "This product moves when used."
---warning on a digital thermometer that can be used to take a person's temperature several different ways: "Once used rectally, the thermometer should not be used orally."
--- a label on an electric hand blender promoted for use in blending, whipping, chopping and dicing, that warns: "Never remove food or other items from the blades while the product is operating."
--- a label on a nine- by three-inch bag of air used as packing material. It carries this warning: "Do not use this product as a toy, pillow, or flotation device."

See at http://www.mlaw.org/wwl/

This years winner:  A flushable toilet brush that warns users "Do not use for personal hygiene"

Other winners:
---warning on a digital thermometer that can be used to take a person's temperature several different ways: "Once used rectally, the thermometer should not be used orally."
--- a label on an electric hand blender promoted for use in blending, whipping, chopping and dicing, that warns: "Never remove food or other items from the blades while the product is operating."
I'd hate to be working at that product-testing laboratory...

Martha, is this an indication that your ankle's doing better?

I should get the fiberglass cast off soon and get the "boot".
I am walking around fine, but it does swell some.

Too squirrelly for the reduction in mobility. In the interim, I have learned:

----one of my dogs will suffer peelings on its head and one will not.
----how to share pictures over the internet and email pictures to friends and relatives (thank you all)
----how to mentally redecorate our entire apartment, even to the extent of ordering fabric samples. DH is worried. :eek:
----that I kind of like watching HGTV but most of the rest of television stinks.

From the website...

Following is a list of some of the best labels from the first seven contests:

A label on a baby stroller warns: "Remove child before folding"

A brass fishing lure with a three-pronged hook on the end warns: "Harmful if swallowed"

A household iron warns users: "Never iron clothes while they are being worn";

A label on a hair dryer reads, "Never use hair dryer while sleeping";

A warning on an electric drill made for carpenters cautions: "This product not intended for use as a dental drill.";

The label on a bottle of drain cleaner warns: "If you do not understand, or cannot read, all directions, cautions and warnings, do not use this product.";

A smoke detector warns: "Do not use the Silence Feature in emergency situations. It will not extinguish a fire.";

A massage chair warns: "DO NOT use massage chair without clothing... and, Never force any body part into the backrest area while the rollers are moving.";

A cardboard car sunshield that keeps sun off the dashboard warns, "Do not drive with sunshield in place.";

An Aim-n-Flame fireplace lighter cautions, "Do not use near fire, flame or sparks";

A label on a hand-held massager advises consumers "not to use while sleeping or unconscious";

A 12-inch rack for storing compact disks warns: "Do not use as a ladder.";

A cartridge for a laser printer warns, "Do not eat toner";

A 13-inch wheel on a wheelbarrow warns: "Not intended for highway use.";

A can of self-defense pepper spray warns users: "May irritate eyes";

A warning on a pair of shin guards manufactured for bicyclists says: "Shin pads cannot protect any part of the body they do not cover.";

A snowblower warns: "Do not use snowthrower on roof.";

A dishwasher carries this warning: "Do not allow children to play in the dishwasher.";

A popular manufactured fireplace log warns: "Caution - Risk of Fire";

A box of birthday cake candles says: "DO NOT use soft wax as ear plugs or for any other function that involves insertion into a body cavity.";

==

These are hilarious!

Too squirrelly for the reduction in mobility.  In the interim, I have learned:
----how to mentally redecorate our entire apartment, even to the extent of ordering fabric samples.  DH is worried.  :eek:
----that I kind of like watching HGTV but most of the rest of television stinks.
Speaking from experience, my advice to your husband is "Be afraid, be very afraid".

If there's an upside to HGTV, it's that my spouse is even less often in doubt about what needs to be done around the house. Although you might actually SAVE money by going back to work...

Two that I saw personally...

- an Air Force arctic parka hood had a label saying, "when cold, pull hood over head. If vision is obstructed, push brim of hood away from eyes. If overheated, push hood off of head."

- on one of those cardboard sunscreens that you put in the windshield of a parked car, "do not attempt to drive with sunscreen in place."

Ouch. I think I'll put one on her wood chisels...

Back
Top Bottom