Democracy, Birds, And Snails

Eagle43

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
http://www.fredoneverything.net/FOE_Frame_Column.htm

Fred's column, discussing democracy. He thinks we don't have a free press, we really aren't free (just think we are), and that our votes are for similar candidates who will make little difference. Blimey, as they say in England, is this doom and gloom? Anyway, his writing is brilliant. Here's one para:

The will of the people? Hardly. Americans do not determine any policy that matters. (E.g., regarding race, affirmative….) The techniques for guaranteeing an unnoticed helplessness are simple but brilliant. First, people are never permitted to vote for policies, but an only for one or another of two essentially identical presidential candidates who prate identically about Getting the Country Moving, and No Child Left Behind. The results determine not policy but patronage. Second, power is concentrated in remote anonymous bureaucracies, rendering policy impervious to attack. Third, there is the federal tactic of taxing the states and returning the money in exchange for obedience.

Hmmm

Even the media has grudgingly acknowledged the increasing role of the internet in bringing back dialog.

Dialogue, good.

Apathy, bad.

I love Fred. Most of his rants are spot-on... thumbs up.

The will of the people? Hardly. Americans do not determine any policy that matters.

The techniques for guaranteeing an unnoticed helplessness are simple but brilliant. First, people are never permitted to vote for policies, but an only for one or another of two essentially identical presidential candidates who prate identically about Getting the Country Moving, and No Child Left Behind. The results determine not policy but patronage. Second, power is concentrated in remote anonymous bureaucracies, rendering policy impervious to attack. Third, there is the federal tactic of taxing the states and returning the money in exchange for obedience.
Is Fred trying to imply that today is somehow different than any part of the 20th century?

I'm heartily sorry that I threw away my "Support Nixon" bumber sticker and my "Whip Inflation Now!" button...

Some quotes on the topic early this morning. The one I like the best is:
Every nation has the government it deserves.
Joseph de Maistre

We have the media and government we deserve for the amount of input we the people put into it.

We want materialism and safety; we get war in the middle east, obeasity, diabiaties and the polititians that will give it to us.

"We have met the enemy and the enemy is us." Pogo (how sad is it to qutoe a cartoon?)

All world powers rise and fall. Since pharros in Egypt the cycle has always become shorter. Was 1945 or 1989 (fall of the Berlin wall) the high point for the USA and is it a down hill ride from here?

Democracy is not something you believe in or a place to hang your hat, but it's something you do. You participate. If you stop doing it, democracy crumbles.
Abbie Hoffman

Elections belong to the people. It is their decision. If they decide to turn their back on the fire and burn their behinds, then they will just have to sit on their blisters.
Abraham Lincoln

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve.
George Bernard Shaw

Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.
H.L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Democracy is the art of running the circus from the monkey cage.
H.L. Mencken (1880-1956)

In a democracy the people get what the majority deserves.
James Davidson

Back
Top Bottom