Alternate idea - restore boards?

Should we keep the archives "read only" and start fresh, or pick up where we left off?

• Keep archives read only, and start with fresh boards

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Restore the forum to the way it was last week

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters

dory36

Early-Retirement.org Founder, Developer of FIRECal
One other option is available, thanks to BMJ's efforts.

When we plannd this switch, we thought we would likely have to leave the old messages on the old server as an "archive" of the E-R forum. We figured we would make the old messages "read only" so all the new discussions would begin on the new server.

Thanks to BMJ's work, all the messages have been moved to the new forum.

So there is no longer any technical reason to keep them read-only -- we can just restore the structure we had last week.

So the question is . . . is this a good opportunity to start fresh and move all the old stuff to one side, or should we not try to do that, at least now?

Your thoughts?

Dory36

PS - restoring the old structure will still allow us to merge boards whenever we want, combining the content.

As long as there is no technical reason, I vote to restore all the messages to the new forum. Some of the threads were not done and it will probably make searching easier. :)

I agree with C-T There is alot of history there that I often search. Without it history will have to repeat itself.

dory36 said:
PS - restoring the old structure will still allow us to merge boards whenever we want, combining the content.

If that doesn't require much work, it sounds like by far the best option to me.

(I take it you mean restore all the old boards, can continue to post to old threads, and then merge/rename some of the old boards if people want to. So, a "new" board would contain all the posts of two or more of the old boards, and old threads can still be posted to there.)

lazyday said:
(I take it you mean restore all the old boards, can continue to post to old threads, and then merge/rename some of the old boards if people want to. So, a "new" board would contain all the posts of two or more of the old boards, and old threads can still be posted to there.)
Yep. That's what I meant.

There is no technical reason to avoid putting the forums back the way they were. I thought you wanted to make the reorg at the same time as the server move to take advantage of the dead time of the server move. But by now everyone should be getting the new site. We might as well put things back. They can always be rearranged later.

Anybody objecting, speak up quick, or I'll do that, while BMJ works his magic on the linked posts.

Back
Top Bottom