Best CD Rates, PFCU Just Changed Theirs!!!

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Hi all:

We have $200k maturing in a few days and of course the Pentagon Federal Credit Union just changed their 3 year special by - 1% or so. I was hoping to get it. Anyone got any institutions that are offering a similar type of CD up to 5 years. We are looking for FDIC insured fixed income CDs. I have checked Bankrate and before I make any decisions I thought I would consult the Oracle (You Lot!)

Thanks in Advance, as usual for all the info,

SWR

uncledrz said:
Shock
We're in a similar situation. Not happy about the Penfed change.

Try this site for cd's.

http://www.money-rates.com/cdrates.htm

uncledrz:

Doy you know of a site that does only Credit Union Rates, again I tried Bankrate.com, I was curious about a Credit Union Only Site as they tend to give better rates.

th: (or whatever you DO NOT call yourself now)

I think read a post some place which said you were doing something on Monday with CDs, If so what institution were you considering?

SWR

Bummer! Fortunately I got some 3yr at 5% not long ago.
Now looking at Intermediate Term Bond Index until PenFed
goes back up. Intermediate Term Bond Index seems to have
the best track record for all VG's intermediate term funds.

Cheers,

Charlie

ShokWaveRider said:
uncledrz:

Doy you know of a site that does only Credit Union Rates, again I tried Bankrate.com, I was curious about a Credit Union Only Site as they tend to give better rates.

[

unfortunately I do not

ShokWaveRider said:
th: (or whatever you DO NOT call yourself now)

I think read a post some place which said you were doing something on Monday with CDs, If so what institution were you considering?

As long as you dont know me, you can call me anything you like. I'm sticking with my regular bank, digital credit union (www.dcu.org). They're paying 4.61 on a 5 year cd right now. I'm waiting to see if they revise those rates up at all on monday at the month/quarter/half end. Hopefully they dont go down. I know I can get 5% if I join some other credit union and pay a member fee and write checks and all that. Couldnt be bothered for the .39%. It'd be a few hundred bucks over 5 years. Pfft :p

Notth said:
As long as you dont know me, you can call me anything you like. I'm sticking with my regular bank, digital credit union (www.dcu.org). They're paying 4.61 on a 5 year cd right now. I'm waiting to see if they revise those rates up at all on monday at the month/quarter/half end. Hopefully they dont go down. I know I can get 5% if I join some other credit union and pay a member fee and write checks and all that. Couldnt be bothered for the .39%. It'd be a few hundred bucks over 5 years. Pfft :p

NOT Whoever:

It does depend how much you are investing. For $200k it would be about $800 per year.

I thought you lived in California anyway. (I may be wrong) If you do how do you find managing your funds from a distance? I used to live in CA and am moving to FL. I am keeping my Credit Union in Orange County CA. So far so good.

Also with a direct deposit (Or a wodge of cash and some begging, I presume) You can get their 4.78% rate.

SWR

Its not going to be that much.

I've had the same bank since I was 18 and the credit union opened (worked at Digital at the time). Funny, back then I thought the company would last but wasnt sure about the credit union ;)

Absolutely no problems whatsoever managing the money. Great web site, and I can do everything through a phone 'push 1 push 5' type system or by calling their 800# and asking. They send me postage prepaid deposit envelopes to mail checks and other deposits. Fund transfers are electronic to vanguard and I can use ING direct to slowly siphon large amounts of cash from one bank account to another in a two step process, although I only had to do that once.

My wife keeps a local bank account with nothing in it...few bucks. We've needed the 'local bank' exactly once, when I made our investing accounts joint I needed a signature guarantee on the paperwork. :p But that was vanguards weird requirement.

So no problems I can relate, but then I've never had an account with a regular bank. Looked at it a dozen times but DCU charges me no fees for anything, no minimums, pays good rates, has a money market and 'limited withdrawal/higher rate' money fund, good cd rates, free heloc, etc. Havent found another bank that could do better than 'free and easy'.

SWR,

Check out this CU, they were offering 6% on 5 years for CA residents only.

Golden 1 Credit Union - http://www.golden1.com/

They list the criteria to join on their website.

Ok I heard that before about g-1...but I dont see it on their web site. They're right up the street from me...any more info or a link?

The 6% expired last week, they change their rates on Thursdays.  I posted the rate a few weeks ago, I only put a few thousand in the 5 year 6% CD.  Their 12 month CD was 4% then.  I watch their rates regularly and will post again when they go up.

Golden 1 has been my bank for about 4 year, I'm very happy with them.

A side note, my son got Golden 1s college student Visa a year ago when he turned 18, and just got approved for up to 30,000 for an auto loan. He's thrilled, I'm nervous. He's done really well with his CC so his credit score must have been pretty good.

Well, at this point it looks like DCU has the best 5 year rates at 4.61% (aside from Nords reference to the navy cu). Penfeds are below that and so are golden-1's.

DCU didnt budge their rates either way. Bummer. Looks like long term rates are contracting at this point.

charlie said:
Bummer! Fortunately I got some 3yr at 5% not long ago.
Now looking at Intermediate Term Bond Index until PenFed
goes back up. Intermediate Term Bond Index seems to have
the best track record for all VG's intermediate term funds.

Cheers,

Charlie
That's where I've been since getting into Vanguard.

Thats a good question. I think its some dick who wanted to have a pissing contest with me for no apparent reason.

Back
Top Bottom