New fortune mag

"...you can’t go home again if you’ve lived abroad"

All you expats -- What do you think they meant by that?

"All you expats -- What do you think they meant by that?" ...

Not an Ex-Pat, but know a lot of them and have spent some time out of country. One thing they say in common is how "fearfull" , insular and less tolerante Americans have become. It's a bit more relaxed, cheaper in most places and "fun" to be forgien in far away places. My experience is, untill you get use to where you really are, you feel you are skating on thin ice . If anything goes wrong you feel your world could collapse. .. but then agian yo have that big saftey net of the USA.

Chris

TromboneAl said:
"...you can’t go home again if you’ve lived abroad"
If you've lived abroad, why the heck would you want to return to Pittsburgh?  Although since spouse's parents have moved to Hawaii to be near their grandaughter, my spouse has rediscovered why she left home in the first place.

I used to think that Fortune wrote their articles to appeal to a different demographic than mine.  Lately I think they're writing to a different species.

Edit: Fortune, Forbes, is there a difference?

TBoneAl,
Although I did come home, I'm really anxious to go back abroad. Not sure why but Fortune is onto something. It just doesn't feel right.

I dont know what croud Fortune is trying to service. :confused: It sure aint the LBYM croud that retires early. They have more articles on how to get the best deals on a new lexus, etc. More about status, methinks.

Once they took over Wall Street Week from lou, it was filled with self serving CEOs and media darlings.

As an expat I would not have a problem having my FIRE-base at my Scandinavien home country - but I but want to have the freedom to travel all I want at the same time.
Cheers!

I lived in Europe for several years off and on thanks to my rich uncle and every time I returned to the states I was shocked by the attitudes, gross behavior of the natives. It would take a few months to quit comparing the two places.

We are very arrogant and ignorant of the rest of the world. We are very intense, stressed, rude, and a lot of other not so nice things. Not that the Europeans are not they are but in a different way! Because of my ignorance of languages and culture a lot went over my head.

Being a foreigner in a strange land gives you status among the locals and your peers as well. When you return home your back to being .... average (sigh). :p

Kitty

Goo points kitty. Most of the Americans (embassies/UN/NGOs/business/teachers) I have met have themselves been living abroad and they had as broad a view of the world as any other. I lived a month in the USA (NY mostly) and that was certainly a diff story... :D

I don't even like to change planes in NYC driving through it makes me so nervous I am like a rag doll when I reach the other side of the city. Not that Conn.  or NJ is that swell either. I prefer to avoid the whole thing and have been successful for several years in not going there. :D
Kitty

They gave away my secret retirement country. :D Oh well, guess Panama will have to increase its immigration stds!

Kitty said:
I lived in Europe for several years off and on thanks to my rich uncle and every time I returned to the states I was shocked by the attitudes, gross behavior of the natives. It would take a few months to quit comparing the two places.

We are very arrogant and ignorant of the rest of the world. We are very intense, stressed, rude, and a lot of other not so nice things. Not that the Europeans are not they are but in a different way! Because of my ignorance of languages and culture a lot went over my head.

Being a foreigner in a strange land gives you status among the locals and your peers as well. When you return home your back to being .... average (sigh). :p

Kitty

True story: On Monday, we were stood in the security check queue at Sydney International Airport. After putting all our belongings onto the x-ray conveyor my wife and baby went through the metal detector with me immediately behind. All my personal "pocket" belongings (keys, cell phone, loose change and lighter) were placed in the individual plastic tray and sent down the conveyor. As we were recovering our belongings on the other side, the American woman behind me reached into the plastic tray holding my personal belongings , removedMY lighter, waved it in the face of the Australian Security Officer yelling "Is this allowed?". The Officer replied that it was. Not satisfied, the woman yelled again "Well it isn't allowed in the US?". Gracious and unruffled, the Aussie Security guy said, "You are not in the US Miss, please move along." Still determined, she grabbed my arm, waved my lighter in the air yelling, "You wouldn't get on a US aircraft with this you know."

I turned and said " Firstly, we are not in the US. Second, I am not flying on a US Airline and thirdly get your f*****g hands off my belongings."
The Aussie jumped in with, "He's correct on all three counts Miss, please go to your gate." The woman angrily grabbed her belongings and scurried off ranting at the "slack" and "inferior" standards  and attitudes THEY have  "abroad".

Anyone care to guess how long a foreigner would stay out of custody if he tried this in the US?

Kitty said:
We are very arrogant and ignorant of the rest of the world. We are very intense, stressed, rude, and a lot of other not so nice things.

Yup, I think you just about hit the mark with that statement.

EDIT: On a brighter note, Australia is a fantastic country and the people, attitudes, lifestyle and weather are all superb.

Scary story! :D
As I said before; I have met many Americans (yeah also in the USA) that had as broad horizon as any - so let's make sure we do not make all swooping general statements that might be off the mark . Cheers!

kitty,
I spent a lot time overseas pretending to be Canadian, eh, kept my mouth shut in public when the loud tourists came thru. I think sometimes we just notice Americans more, kinda like you notice more when your spouse gets loaded at a party.

Honkie,
I've been thru Sydney about 40 times and that type "person" is always there, not always American but someone always telling the Aussies they got it wrong.  The Aussies are very laid back and it's really a shame they have to hold there tongue when these fools insult them.

Honkie said:
True story...

Honkie, it has been my experience that being rude and obnoxious has nothing to do with nationality. It is international in scope, and has its own organization: *ssholes Without Borders. :D

REW

Sure OAP, but look at all the terrorist attacks the australians have been hit with due to their limp terrorist protections.

What?

Oh. Wonder why they havent been attacked...hmmm...

Maybe Art can find an article on the internet that says there have been attacks but little brown people covered them up and kept them out of the media.

REWahoo! said:
Honkie, it has been my experience that being rude and obnoxious has nothing to do with nationality.  It is international in scope, and has its own organization:  *ssholes Without Borders.  :D

REW

Agreed :LOL: I work in international trade and can verify that statement with decades of experiences.

Kitty  :mad:

Kitty said:
We are very arrogant and ignorant of the rest of the world. We are very intense, stressed, rude, and a lot of other not so nice things.
While this particular "Made In America" product may be supersized, surround-sound, and widely exported, we don't have a monopoly on the industry.

If you're skeptical I'd invite you to spend a Friday evening on Ke'eamoku Street or just about anywhere in Waikiki watching that popular local drama "Asian Visitors in Paradise".

But I have met a few alleged Americans in Thailand whom I'd cheerfully knock into an irrigation canal.

just not notth,
would that covering up crowd be LBFMs? :D

That notorious group of Asian perpetrators of crime and... even more..

Call in Batman.

Nords said:
While this particular "Made In America" product may be supersized, surround-sound, and widely exported, we don't have a monopoly on the industry.

Couldn't agree more. In my travels (over 20 years and approaching 40 different countries) the irritating and ignorant come in all shapes and flavours. I posted the story simply as it was sooo recent and relevant. I think it is perhaps that Americans are louder (generally) and more vocal in their critiscisms/complaints/observations that we tend to notice more when one erupts.

Had a fantastic time in Oz and will definitely come back  :D

OldAgePensioner said:
just not notth,
would that covering up crowd be LBFMs?  :D

That notorious group of Asian perpetrators of crime and... even more..

Call in Batman.

:LOL:  :LOL:  :LOL:

Manys the time I've seen an LBFM jump and smother a "weapon" weilding foreigner !!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
The self-sacrifice is most humbling!! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom