Federal TSP tracking site

Michael Moore

Recycles dryer sheets
I found this one

http://www.tspmoney.com/

but it doesn't always seem to be up to date. Does anyone know of a similar site that will give current day as well as some historical results/charting? tsp.gov only gives info for the prior month (unless they are hiding the other info somewhere that isn't immediately obvious to me).

cheers,
Michael

You can't get the exact numbers until the TSP issues them. The closest perhaps is the index watch on the bottom of the page at:
http://www.tsptalk.com/

While you are there you can try asking someone in the forum when you can get the earliest number.

Also, federal newsletter sites like GovExec.com have the last day's numbers.

The Other Michael said:
I found this one

http://www.tspmoney.com/

but it doesn't always seem to be up to date. Does anyone know of a similar site that will give current day as well as some historical results/charting? tsp.gov only gives info for the prior month (unless they are hiding the other info somewhere that isn't immediately obvious to me).

cheers,
Michael

The TSP does have historical return info since 1988 [yearly and monthly].

- Alec

Tadpole,

Thanks for the link.  It's an interesting site.  I'm a bit disturbed by the trading in and out mentality prevalent on the site.  From a selfish standpoint, I hope these folks see poor returns and stop trading.  The TSP was not designed for trading in and out.  If the trading amount gets above the deposit adjustment level, it will cost us more in fund fees.  The rest of us will be paying for the traders actions. 

Cheers,

Chris

Chris ,

Yeah they don't listen. Ive tried to tell them a few times market timing doesnt work, but to no avail. The main guy there, Tom, is still losing to the "trained monkey" (20% to each).

I'm trying to get current info so I can switch out of the C fund into the G fund after the C fund has recovered the recent losses. Once I switch this remaining amount out of the C fund I'll just let everything ride in the G fund for the next umpty-umpt years.

I'll check out those other sites.

thanks,
Michael

Chicken!!!!!!

The Other Michael said:
Once I switch this remaining amount out of the C fund I'll just let everything ride in the G fund for the next umpty-umpt years.

I'm 50% S, 50% I atm. granted that's partially because i have mostly large caps in my personal IRAs. I also have a nice chuck in a utility fund, and have been in that for some time.

The Other Michael said:
I'm trying to get current info so I can switch out of the C fund into the G fund after the C fund has recovered the recent losses.  Once I switch this remaining amount out of the C fund I'll just let everything ride in the G fund for the next umpty-umpt years.

I'll check out those other sites.

thanks,
Michael

I put everything into the G fund in January because of the twin deficits, the historically high P/Es, the large amount of consumer debt, the housing bubble and the rising interest rates.

To me it looks like a train wreck waiting to happen. If I miss out on a couple of years of good stock market returns, so be it. A 5% return for the next 8 years will get me to my magic number.

When the P/Es come back down, I will re-enter the stock market.

To the OP, thanks for the link. I had not seen that website.

-helen

Hey, I get to add my 2 cents. "A train wreck" well maybe. My wonderful crystal ball (which is always correct as to what will happen but unfortunately not as to when it will happen) says we are due for a correction but I have not figured out whether it will be a sharp short adjustment or a Japan like, 14 years of bad luck, slow adjustment. It could be that salaries will go up 1%, inflation 3% and houses and stocks 2% for a number of years and it is not obvious to the non financial savvy that something is awry.

My TSP allocation (Drum roll please, or is that dice roll): 40% G, 20% I, 20% S and 20% C. I am 54 and expect a few years until retirement and longer to the withdrawal phase. I also have a growth fund IRA and a balanced fund Roth. The G fund is good but holding some stock funds seems a good idea, especially over longer periods of time.

I am not inclined to day trade (or two day trade?) with the TSP accounts and I share the concern that two much of this will drive up administration costs. But if folks lose money in trading does that mean that those who hold on to a fund make the money? I am willing to shift into trading mode if I really had an idea about how to make money out of it. I think I am pretty good at stock picking, 5 out of 6 DRIPs are beating the S&P500 and when I had a Quick & Riley trading account I did pretty well. I knew when to buy a stock, knowing when to sell was another issue :D

"Chicken!!!!!!"

I do indeed resemble that remark! My experience with passes for "investing" in this household has involved holding off on jumping on the bandwagon until I thought it might really be a good thing (missing 95% of the runup), and then holding off jumping off because "it has to turn around soon, doesn't it?" (getting 80% of the rundown).

Since I'm retiring in 5 weeks there won't be much more added to the TSP, and I'd rather keep what I now have and watch it grow slowly (I don't have any grass to watch, so I have to watch something). I'll be 52 in September, so I figure the G fund is a safe spot to leave that chunk of change stashed. I no longer have any expectations of great wealth, or even moderate wealth, so I'm willing to go for security instead.

cheers,
Michael

Actually, I'm shifting mine to G Fund, also.  Don't get me going on investments.  My last moment of genius was investing thousands, nay tens of thousands, nay nevermind, in the airline industry a few months after 9/11 figuring they would eventually rebound.  Then, bankruptcy.  Oops. 

Back
Top Bottom