Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/)
-   Young Dreamers (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f30/)
-   -   Hey Young Dreamers... get this- (http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f30/hey-young-dreamers-get-this-17298.html)

dimwit 07-14-2005 11:29 PM

Hey Young Dreamers... get this-
 
I'm just saying why don't we all eat rice and red beans and retire at the first possible moment....

because you want those extras.

Cut the extras and LBYM and beat me at 45.

preben 07-15-2005 12:17 AM

Re: Hey Young Dreamers... get this-
 
I am 36 and FIREd but not a big fan of beans though... Cheers!

maddythebeagle 07-15-2005 06:30 AM

Re: Hey Young Dreamers... get this-
 
I am targeting my early to mid 40s, but dont eat beans and rice :laugh: I probably could go earlier, but will probably stay until 20 years service so that I get some extra medical benifits. We dont eat out a lot, though, which I think is a big drainer for most people. I think LBYM doesnt mean to give up on everything. I guess that it all depends on your values and most people spend every dime even as their incomes are high so there is a lot of extra spending that doesnt really give much "value" to people's lives.

Martha 07-15-2005 06:38 AM

Re: Hey Young Dreamers... get this-
 
Hey, don't diss rice and beans. Dirty rice is good. Make it nice a spicy.

MJ 07-15-2005 07:00 AM

Re: Hey Young Dreamers... get this-
 
I love rice and black beans spiked with hot sauce. Great single man's lazy and simple meal. Add a side green vegetable and you have nutritious meal. When my local supermarket has Goya beans on sale 3/$1, I stock up.

Sillysal 07-15-2005 07:36 AM

Re: Hey Young Dreamers... get this-
 
I eat rice and beans for lunch all the time! What's better than a healthy $.36 lunch?

unclemick 07-15-2005 07:47 AM

Re: Hey Young Dreamers... get this-
 
Red beans and rice - ya gotta have da sausage - jalapeno added is called New Orleans style - when you buy Blue Runner brand in da can. Like stew or chile - everybody has 'their own secret family receipe' - right??

Monday is 'wash day and traditional red beans and rice time.'

sgeeeee 07-15-2005 11:43 AM

Re: Hey Young Dreamers... get this-
 
But can you cook beans and rice in a kayak or wear them on your head? ;D ;D ;D

laurence 07-15-2005 12:38 PM

Re: Hey Young Dreamers... get this-
 
college roomates made the best red beans, rice and cornbread on the planet. They took pity on me and my mac & cheese dinners with Tang, and let me mooch all semester long. I bought them concert tickets, it all worked out! :D

wildcat 07-15-2005 01:37 PM

Re: Hey Young Dreamers... get this-
 
Quote:

with Tang
:P

Quote:

why don't we all eat rice and red beans
I eat nothing but roots and berries

And
Quote:

Cut the extras and LBYM and beat me at 45
I'll be there

justin 07-15-2005 01:38 PM

Re: Hey Young Dreamers... get this-
 
"red beans, rice and cornbread... mac & cheese dinners with Tang"?

Livin' large in college. You all must have been rather wealthy. What ever happened to ramen and water?

LovesLife 07-15-2005 01:42 PM

Re: Hey Young Dreamers... get this-
 
Gawd, I ate chicken pot pies. I haven't eaten one since.

laurence 07-15-2005 01:55 PM

Re: Hey Young Dreamers... get this-
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin
"red beans, rice and cornbread... mac & cheese dinners with Tang"?

Livin' large in college. You all must have been rather wealthy. What ever happened to ramen and water?

I got poorer later, ramen became a staple as well as discount/day old you cook it yourself deli pizzas, which were 2 for 3 bucks. Each pizza was two meals, so I "treated" myself to that on weekends.

Two weeks ago I was taken out for a business dinner at Ruth's Chris steakhouse, filet mignon and a good cabernet. I may wax nostalgic about college, but I wouldn't go back! (well, for the food, anyway)

HFWR 07-15-2005 03:43 PM

Re: Hey Young Dreamers... get this-
 
Can of field peas, slice of white bread, glass of instant milk...

Repeat

I don't miss those days.....................

SteveR 07-15-2005 03:50 PM

Re: Hey Young Dreamers... get this-
 
CT,
I know what you mean. I took my first ER at 50 after 30 years. I am still working; different company; differnet state, but will do FIRE in two years.

Life is short and tomorrow is not promised. My wife worked for the same company for 34 years, retired early at 56 and died 7 months later. We were on track to have a good and secure retirement and I still will. I like knowing I can leave anytime I want to on my own terms. My managment knows this and pretty much leaves me alone. It is hard to find anybody with my experience in this area to do the job I do for what they pay me; so they just let me do my own thing. That makes it almost enjoyable to work.


MRGALT2U 07-15-2005 04:10 PM

Re: Hey Young Dreamers... get this-
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveR
CT,
I know what you mean.* I took my first ER at 50 after 30 years.* I am still working; different company; differnet state, but will do FIRE in two years.*

Life is short and tomorrow is not promised.* My wife worked for the same company for 34 years, retired early at 56 and died 7 months later.* We were on track to have a good and secure retirement and I still will.* I like knowing I can leave anytime I want to on my own terms.* My managment knows this and pretty much leaves me alone.* It is hard to find anybody with my experience in this area to do the job I do for what they pay me; so they just let me do my own thing.* That makes it almost enjoyable to work.*


Hello SteveR...........I haved posted before about all of the people I knew who have
passed on. Won't repeat. However, my brother recently MCed his HS
reunion (40 years). Class of 80+............14 are dead. Think about that.

JG

REWahoo 07-15-2005 04:22 PM

Re: Hey Young Dreamers... get this-
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
However, my brother recently MCed his HS
reunion (40 years). Class of 80+............14 are dead. Think about that.

Similar experience here. Going to my 40th in September and 15 out of a class of 72 are dead. :(

REW

Jarhead* 07-15-2005 04:48 PM

Re: Hey Young Dreamers... get this-
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Similar experience here.* Going to my 40th in September and 15 out of a class of 72 are dead.* *:(

REW

Wow: Where'd you go to school? Those are high numbers (percentage wise).
Our 50th reunion, class of 54 was held last year, but we had already made other plans and didn't attend. We had a class of 125, and they sent out "In memoriam" for 6 of our classmates.

An aside, I was one of those listed. Maybe they know something I don't know.
Told my wife I was going next year no matter where they hold it. Should be a fun time. :D

Jarhead

MRGALT2U 07-15-2005 04:55 PM

Re: Hey Young Dreamers... get this-
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ex-Jarhead
Wow:* Where'd you go to school?* Those are high numbers (percentage wise).
Our 50th reunion, class of 54 was held last year, but we had already made other plans and didn't attend.* We had a class of 125, and they sent out "In memoriam" for 6 of our classmates.

An aside, I was one of those listed.* Maybe they know something I don't know.
Told my wife I was going next year no matter where they hold it.* Should be a fun time. :D

Jarhead

Seems the reports of your demise were greatly exaggerated. Hemingway
was reported dead twice and even read his own obit. Anyway, I agree
that's a high rate. I hated high school but have completely enjoyed
each and every reunion. Go figure............

JG

haha 07-15-2005 05:04 PM

Re: Hey Young Dreamers... get this-
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ex-Jarhead
Wow:* Where'd you go to school?* Those are high numbers (percentage wise).
Our 50th reunion, class of 54 was held last year, but we had already made other plans and didn't attend.* We had a class of 125, and they sent out "In memoriam" for 6 of our classmates.

Jarhead, I think we are likely seeing the small sample problem. Your class numbers are probably low, RE Wahoo's seem high.

I believe the last I saw, my college class (we are mostly age 64-66 now) has lost about 85 out of 1000. Quite a few were early on, in outdoor accidents, battlefield injuries, car wrecks, etc. Now the cancer, heart disease and miscellaneous crap are showing up.

My class is very fortunate to have a skilled and empathic writer who has written an obituary for every class member lost so far. I told him I hope to write his.

Ha


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.