Should Mom be able to make it?

modhatter

Full time employment: Posting here.
I would like to hear from you seniors all ready in retirement. Here is my question:
My mother's only income is social security of $860 a month. She has a retarded son, who also receives about $750 SSI. So she has a monthly income of $1,610 NET.

I purchased a small house for her. I pay the real estate taxes of aprox. $3,000 a year. I pay the homeowners fees, the house insurnce and all house related repairs. This is what she has to pay:

Electric $140
Water 45
Phone 50
Cable TV

A minor quibble. Your mother may be representative payee for your brother for his SSI, but THAT IS NOT HER INCOME. That is your brother's income and is to be used for your brother's living expenses. If he has to move out and into a group home the money goes for his expenses there, not for your mother's use. While he is living with your mother that income is for his expenses, not her use. Your mother's income is $860/month. She and your brother (based on the amount) are probably considered to be in a sharing relationship for the household expenses so that your brother is being paid as being in his own household, and is not reduced for living in the household of another (nor having in kind support and maintenance charged to him if he is in his own household but not paying his fair share of the expenses).

If you are going to ask for advice the financial situation needs to be correctly represented if the advice is to do any good.

I'm not ragging on you, it is just that your post happened to catch the attention of someone who is preparing to retire from a 29 year career with SSA, most of it spent in an SSI quality assurance unit (though thankfully I was able to get out of that and into systems a while back).

cheers,
Michael

The Other Michael said:
...it is just that your post happened to catch the attention of someone who is preparing to retire from a 29 year career with SSA....

Not to hijack this thread :D but Michael, when are you planning on starting your SS benefits, age 62 or later...? ::)

REW

You are 100% correct.  This post however got posted before I was finished writing because of a slip of my fingers on the key board.  The correct way to state the income was to say My mother and brother who live together and share expenses have a combined income of $1,610.  However, since my brother is retarded and can't even count out a dollar, it is my mother handling the finances of the house.  Please see post below for the completed story. I tried to delete this one but message said I could not delete 1st post.

Since modhatter started a new thread for the OP:

REW, I'm CSRS so unless I get a few more quarters via self employment (I'm close to 40 from that and work during school) I'll not qualify for a T2 benefit. Even if I get coverage it will be a minimum PIA that will then probably be subject to government pension offset. I suppose that the extra $100 or so a month (if that much) isn't going to be terribly affected whether it is reduced for being taken before 65. Nothin from nothin leaves nothin.

I basically didn't have any involvement with T2 after my first couple of years with the agency due to job specialization, so I'm definitely no where near an authoritative source for T2 info.

We do pay into Medicare so I'll get that.

cheers,
Michael

The Other Michael said:
REW, I'm CSRS so unless I get a few more quarters via self employment (I'm close to 40 from that and work during school) I'll not qualify for a T2 benefit.

Michael, thanks for the reply. Nothing to do with you personally, but don't you think it a bit ironic that the people who administer the SS program don't participate in it?

I'm sure the reason must be to avoid a conflict of interest... ;)

REW

Ah, really they do.

In the late 80's when they switched to "FERS" - effectively SS, a 402k and a pinch of pension.

Employees hired before that could stay with the old system (CSRS) or switch. I think about half of the younger employees switched.

Back
Top Bottom