Donner/Greenspan/Volker Poll

Have you made any changes to your portfolio/allocation strategy based on the "Volker, Greenspan

• No change

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • No change, but I'm seriously considering it

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Yes, I've made some changes

Votes: 5 14.7%

• Total voters

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
What has been your reaction to the thread started by Donner discussing some serious concerns about the current risk level? Have you considered or actually implemented any change to your investment/allocation stragegy? If so, what?

REW

Donner, you may find this hard to believe but I was once introduced to your great-grandfather. We met at a "dinner party" about 160 years ago.

I moved all of my TSP (401k) money into the short term securities G fund last December. I used new money to pay off my mortgage. I am going to start buying I bonds with my after tax money, which I will start living on when I retire in 7.5 years.

I think there is too much money chasing too few resources right now which has created asset bubbles. I just don't see a good buying opportunity.

I also only need a 5 % return to make my magic number in the next 7.5 years, so I can afford to play it safe.

-helen

I went further into equities recently, but the value/high dividend ones.

Donners post was well taken, but he lumps all risks into one bucket. Anyone that does that and has more than five bucks in the market will wet themselves. Granted there are a number of not so pleasing situations in the form of real estate bubbles, overpriced asset classes, a weak dollar, yada yada yada. A perfect storm of all of these bubbles and mispriced classes could certainly make a mess.

People sitting on the sidelines completely out of anything that has any scary aspect to it might make their own perfect storm.

I spent an hour or so reading unrelated threads here from 2003 and early 2004 where boardmembers were posting doom and gloom predictions for the coming year(s). Some were rushing to the sidelines. In hindsight, that would have been a mistake. Looking forward, I have no idea if their predictions will come true.

If there's one thing I've learned over the years (the hard way) it is NOT to react emotionally to articles like this, even if they are expressing the opinions of the likes of Greenspan and Volker.

Figure out the best long-term plan that fits your personal risk tolerance and psychology, and stick with it. Read articles like that for general background and entertainment. Or don't read them at all.

15% of those responding to the poll say they either have or are seriously considering making changes to their allocation strategy.

Wonder if all the doom & gloom we're seeing on the news from the devastation of the Gulf Coast will spill over into people's financial mindset? Could have an impact & cause some folks to head for the mattresses (a la "The Godfather" ;)).

REW

I must admit I was somewhat affected by the recent doom 'n gloom postings, which made me wonder "what if" stocks go to hell. So I changed my 401k from 100% equities to 90% equities and 10% bonds. Just so that I will have something to show for my saving in a bad case. I'm also evaluating whether I may want to borrow some against the 401k for down payment on a house in the next few years, and making some of my investment safer isn't a bad idea for that either.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom