Get Rich- Sell Gas? Nope, Guns

JPatrick

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ABC carried a story about a Baton Rouge gun store that has been selling 1000 guns a day since the city almost doubled in population after the hurricane.
Previous sales?? About 15 per day :-\

JPatrick said:
ABC carried a story about a Baton Rouge gun store that has been selling 1000 guns a day since the city almost doubled in population after the hurricane.

I love this story. More guns and free enterprise too.

JG

Let's think about this for a second. A store goes from selling 15 guns/day to 1000/day. Does this make any sense from an retail point of view?

If the story was about cars or pizzas going from 15/day to 1000 wouldn't we say wait a minute.

First how does this store have the inventory to go from 15 to 1000/day? If you were a business person wouldn't your inventory be at a level to service your expected customers? The cost of carrying such a large selection (look at all the different types of guns out there) of guns to be able to sell 1000/day would mean that the inventory would need to be many times that. I doubt is gun distributors or gun manufactures carry such a large inventory to match this 1000/day distribution. This is an example of where we need to really question what the media tells us. I've worked around the news media and they do not check the facts or even question them sometimes.

If this one store has shown such an increase wouldn't others? Did those other stores have such a large inventory also?

Reality check please.

Reality check please.

There is a waiting period on hand gun sales. so unless these folks signed up BEFORE the storm, then this is a bogus story, I think :confused:

maddythebeagle said:
There is a waiting period on hand gun sales. so unless these folks signed up BEFORE the storm, then this is a bogus story, I think :confused:

Wouldn't have to be handguns necessarily. I didn't read the story.
BTW, for the poster that questioned a gun shop carrying that much
inventory. It's possible. I've seen it. If someone just wants
protection in a hurry, they may not be too fussy.

JG

JPatrick said:

Yeah, a reality check is in order.

Likely inventory was probably well under 1000, so he'd have to order another few thousand to make this work.  Who was overnighting inventory to stores during those early days? Nobody.  Even if he could get delivery, what wholesaler or manufacturer would extend hundreds of thousands of dollars in credit to a store that previously did only a little business with them?

And even if all that worked out -- the store likely had the staffing to sell what they had been previously selling. So they had to staff up to unload trucks, log the serial numbers in as they were unloaded, find a place to PUT the inventory, and all that. And then they have to sell them. Don't even think about the 1/2 mile line of people that were supposedly waiting at the cash register... It takes 5-10 minutes to sell a gun, what with the BATF forms, the required paperwork, the "instant check", etc. That means, at best, one employee could sell a little under 100 guns in an 8 hour day, without bathroom breaks.  So they hired 15 new employees, 5 to unload and stack, and 10 to process the sales?

I don't think so, Tim.

I suspect there was a little creative reporting here. The store undoubtedly sold a lot more than usual -- and perhaps told a reporter that they COULD sell 1000 a day, if they had them.

Reality Check??
Local news also showed a Lafayette gun store that was so busy they had set  up roped off pathways with a hand written sign- - ENTER HERE TO BUY GUNS.
Baton Rouge dealers selling tear gas/mace/security systems like crazy.
This is the reality.
1000 guns in inventory?/ Easy.

Back
Top Bottom