flimflam man or health guru ???

MJ

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm sure we've all seen him on a number of infomercials. I never trusted him. Now, kevin trudeau is marketting his revised latest book "Natural Cures" big time. In the last 24 hours, I have past his infomercial at least 5 times. He seems to combine a bit of truth and a lot of hype to sell his snake oil book. Nice profit to be made @ $30 plus a hefty shipping charge althought you can get it cheaper on ebay.

Assuming it's available, has any one borrowed this book from the library?

Just curious.

MJ ;)

Never heard of the guy, but infomercials + conspiracy theory + no formal medical education = best seller for sure!

MJ said:
Assuming it's available, has any one borrowed this book from the library?
I'd hate to think that my local library spent my tax dollars on a book like that.

Maybe a reader's survivors donated it...

Whatya do, ya see, is you take an asprin and you put it between your knees and you keep it there for weeks at a time. Oops, that's the cure for wives to prevent sex. Well, it is natural! :LOL: Seems to work, too.

This isnt the same guy that says to eat coral for calcium? I always thought that would be kinda crunchy. :p

I haven't read that one, but I do have "Prescriptions For Natural Cures" by James Balch, M.D. The company I buy my vitamins from sent it to me free as a promotion. His medical training shows when he explains things.

Michael said:
His medical training shows when he explains things.

Just be careful with this stuff.   Don't take the word of one person, even if they appear to be eminently qualified.   For example, Linus Pauling was a smart guy, but he is considered a bit of a quack for his views on vitamin C megadoses.

Before you start popping pills, see if there are any meta-studies that attempt to synthesize the results from multiple studies.   You may find that even vitamin E, which everybody "knows" is a wonderful antioxidant, isn't a no-brainer.

Vitamin E meta-analysis

Thank you. I try to avoid mega doses. I do take 30mg CoQ10 because Lipitor reduces the liver's ability to make it.

Thank you.  I try to avoid mega doses.  I do take 30mg CoQ10 because Lipitor reduces the liver's ability to make it.

While I'm too cheap to subscribe, and thus have not read the article, you might want to look at this article on WorstPills.org.

Cholesterol-Lowering Statin Drugs and the Dietary Supplement Coenzyme Q10
(June 2005)
You should not use coenzyme Q10 in an attempt to prevent or treat the adverse reactions associated with the use of the cholesterol lowering statin drugs.

It's just the INTJ in me coming out - 'the Kevin' is just a flimflam man - he is now writing and selling books on drugs because he was taken to court, fined, and forbidden to hawk his lousy drugs using bogus claims on TV any more. 

Go to http://nccam.nih.gov/ for a National Institute of Health evaluation of non-prescription supplements.  I ran across this medical site a while ago while looking for a supplement to replace a medicine that wasn't working well.  Here you can get a medically balanced view of a supplement's effectiveness without all the hype of those who are selling stuff.

Check it out

JohnP

Consumer Agency Trashes Trudeau's "Natural Cures" Book
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/trudeau_cpb.html

On the back jacket, Trudeau begins a list of endorsements with a quotation from Dr. Herbert Ley, a former commissioner of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. But Ley never endorsed or even read Trudeau’s book because he died on July 22, 2001.

I've read a lot about natural cures and herbs. Haven't read this book, but based on what I've heard about it and the author, I won't waste my time with this book.

On the back jacket, Trudeau begins a list of endorsements with a quotation from Dr. Herbert Ley, a former commissioner of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. But Ley never endorsed or even read Trudeau’s book because he died on July 22, 2001.

Hey give the guy a break, I hear his next book will be on contacted the dead. :dead: It will only cost $39.99.

Back
Top Bottom