Sick of shoody goods

education

Recycles dryer sheets
I went through my golf shirts and I'm pissed!!!! I have several that are a year or less and they are faded, pilled and generally shabby looking. My Bass deck shoes are split on the seams and they are relatively new too.

Any suggestions for clothing that is built to last? I think a year for the life of a golf shirt with a fancy brand name is ludicrous. Surely you guys have found reasonable priced stuff that holds up well.

Professor

I buy Brooks Brothers 100% cotton no-iron dress shirts online when they are on sale. I'm partial to Tori Richard Hawaiin shirts, too.

Levis. Sperry Top-Siders. And $5 cotton pocket t-shirts. I'm sure they're all made in China along with everything else out there, but they last forever and never go out of fashion. (Well, they may have gone out of fashion, but I think I'm still wearing some of the same clothes I had in Junior High.)

My husband's Tiger Woods golf shirts (by NIKE) have held up very well.  There are some NIKE garments in my closet that I wish woud die!  I formerly worked for NIKE and I assure you that they put a lot of effort in quality control - particularly in their top of the line goods.  Shop the retailers on price, avoid retailers that may have 'questionable vendors'.  Years ago I went abroad and brought back examples of NIKE goods from retail stores.  Almost all were knock-offs of poor quality.  Shortly after they hired a team to address the knock-off issue.

I have been disappointed by Ralph Lauren(sp) stuff and I know that they were their own because I purchased it from their own store. 

In the 60's I had the DOL garment industry beat.  The price pressure is huge througout the system.  I sort out clothing as 'fashion' (stuff good for a season) and classic.  If it is a classic item I will buy only goods from a manufacturer who has top notch quality control.  

My Cole Haan men's loafers wear for years, I can even re-sole them. 

Hi Brat--

It was RL that I was talking about. And Izod and Haggar. I buy from outlets like Sam's Club, but they have high dollar msp
on the tag.

I've heard Ashworth is good, but at local golf stores, they are too pricey for me.

Sperry used to make a great deck shoe. I had mine resoled several times. Not had very good luck with Bass.

I guess I don't mind spending for well-cut, reliable and classic clothing. But I think too many companies are shorting us.

Buy all my clothes at Walmart (minus my two suits). All drab grub stuff. Lasts just fine for me. DW and DD's wouldn't set foot in Walmart for clothes. All I ever wear are jeans and untucked t-shirts (gym shorts in summer, sweat shirts in winter). Somehow they put up with me in public since I help pay the bills. :p

Post Katrina - Goodwill and Walmart.

Will go upscale for the high class stuff at Tractor Supply for a few choice luxury items when the weather turns cold. Oh - did buy a JC Penny jacket on a post back to school sale.

Next wedding(youngest nephew) isn't until next July - plenty of time to scare up/rent a suit.

Re: Sick of shoddy goods

Professor said:
I went through my golf shirts and I'm pissed!!!!  I have several that are a year or less and they are faded, pilled and generally shabby looking.  My Bass deck shoes are split on the seams and they are relatively new too.
Are you by any chance size L or XL? Give me a mailing address and I'll send you my last few polo shirts and a pair of Docksiders. One of the shirts even has the highly-coveted logo of a golf club in the Azores. The stuff has been in closet storage since the '80s.

T-shirts, shorts, & rubbah slippahs. And when I go sailing, I do it barefoot.

Our kid made a great Hallowe'en costume from Mom's uniforms. It was quite frightening to see our new teenager in Navy service dress. But I guess that's better than submarine coveralls or Army BDUs...

Apparently I need to clean out my closets.

Professor said:
I guess I don't mind spending for well-cut, reliable and classic clothing.  But I think too many companies are shorting us.

If that is truly the case, buy from Filson. IMO, their blothing and outerwear is very rugged, very long-wearing, and the heavier stuff seems to be pretty much indestructible. Having said that, it is not cheap. IIRC, all their clothing is made in the US and I believe they will even customize stuff for you if you ask.

I like Clark's for comfy, long-lasting shoes, but I think they are made in China. They are overpriced in shoe stores, so I buy them at the outlet store.

wab said:
Levis. Sperry Top-Siders. And $5 cotton pocket t-shirts. I'm sure they're all made in China along with everything else out there, but they last forever and never go out of fashion. (Well, they may have gone out of fashion, but I think I'm still wearing some of the same clothes I had in Junior High.)

I only wear Levi's. Last year they closed all the US manufacturing plants and moved the operation to Mexico. I thought the quality would stay the same but now they only have 5 belt loops instead of the old 7 and the cloth is different and cheesy. The sewing is off the mark and I don't see how the pants can last as long as they used to. After 35 years of wearing Levi's I am about to change to a different brand but I don't know which.

Mike D.

Thanks for the generous offer, Nords. But if I take you up on your offer, my wife will throw me out the door--and the shirts foolowin!!!!!!!!!!!.

Back
Top Bottom