Love this board..

g1ngersmom

Dryer sheet wannabe
Hello:

Got here from a link on www.talkingretirement.com (great site, btw) - I'm so glad I found this group. My interest was peaked by the EARLY retirement post on TR.com -- I mean, we're just inundated with messages about how no one is saving, how we'll all have to work until we're 90, etc. Rarely do you hear about folks retiring early anymore...or maybe I'm just not listening? :)

Quick facts - I'm 39, my husband is 46. We don't have kids and have a combined income of $250k+. We've only been married for a few years and have saved for/paid for a wedding, honeymoon, and co-op downpayment. We're really trying to live below our means and sock it away -- we both have pretty high-stress jobs and don't want to spend the next 25 years slaving away at the office only to find that the golden years were actually NOW.

See you on the boards..

BetterHalf said:
the golden years were actually NOW.

Ancient spiritual insight: if you live right then the golden years are always now.

Welcome to the board. Some posters here have accomplished remarkable things in marching to their own drummer. I would say that the right attitude and financial independence are the keys, retirement is an option.

Welcome Better Half,

Thanks for the new site. I love poking around to new sites. You can get lots of good info here.

Dreamer

yakers said:
Ancient spiritual insight: if you live right then the golden years are always now.

I much prefer this thought to my personal fear that the term "golden years" may refer to the future color of my underwear... :p

we both have pretty high-stress jobs and don't want to spend the next 25 years slaving away at the office only to find that the golden years were actually NOW.

The Golden years are now. Don't put anything off now for retirement tomorrow. If your Dream is travel, go now. Just for a week or two. Trust me, you'll probably be ready to come home by then anyway.

There is almost nothing that you can't do today, that you could do in retirement. 8)

Back
Top Bottom