Retired and need something to do!

jmm

Confused about dryer sheets
i retired at 55 this  year and decided to do some consulting 2-3 days per week.  i just need more to do.... i am now thinking about getting my real estate liscense.  i have the time to commit and desire to learn a new business.

would like to hear pros and cons from anyone in the business..... thanks in advance..... :D

I have a buddy who does RE full time. The number one problem is that there are God knows how many thousand people who have jumped into the field and they are now starting to compete for a shrinking amount of business as the market cools. My understanding is that many brokerages are looking to weed out the parrt timers and inexperienced when the time for cuts comes, so you would definately be climbing uphill. Since I presume you aren't doing it for the money, maye that would be OK. But it could be a frustrating endevor.

Also, before you jump into a new J-O-B, have you spent enough time really contemplating what you want to do with your time? Just asking.

jmm,

Most folks on this board are trying to figure out how retire.  2 or 3 days a week would be enough for most of us looking to retire.
Seems you got to where most of us want to be and want to turn back.  I think it's great that you want to work but I think your on the wrong board.

I wish you good luck in your job hunting.

JOE

I've meet so many people that have become real estate and are becomming RE agents. Homebuilder stocks have declined, interest rate going up, inflation increasing - looks like a top to me and RE agents will have a real tough time.

I would suggest looking into something that is the next big thing.

Financial budgeting advisior? How to live frugally?

I guess I'm sort of semi-retired -- but hardly working. (Self-employed, so it's a bit murky when it's done.) I found myself doing unexpected things, like taking care of my house and thoroughly enjoying it. I learned how to replace a door. I will be waterproofing the cellar/basement myself this winter. Next I will learn how to replace windows with a friend who will work with me. I have a 1920's cedar shingled house, and it's teaching me things. It's fun -- but that's because I hardly paid any attention to it when I was working. Next summer my buddy and I will build a new deck. It's a great change from my desk job/paper work.

kate

I have so many hobbies, interests and desire to travel that I cannot find enough time to fit them into my remaining days on planet earth.

Is there anything that interests you besides work? - As Nords says "Being retired means that your are now responsible for your own entertainment" :)

dex said:
I would suggest looking into something that is the next big thing.

Financial budgeting advisior?  How to live frugally?

The problem is that few would listen. It takes discipline. :bat:

Jay_Gatsby said:
The problem is that few would listen.  It takes discipline. :bat:

That is for sure...that is for dang sure!

I see way too many people that just can't stop spending. One couple has already filed for Bankruptcy once but still spends like there is no tomorrow. I talked to them about where they seem themselves financially 5 and 10 years from now. They believe that they will be fine once their incomes go up a bit more. They have no intention of lowering their standard of living to live within their means. I could not convince them that unless they change now they will be exactly where they are today 5 and 10 years down the road.

You can lead a horse to water......

Jay_Gatsby said:
The problem is that few would listen.
Yes, but many will pay.  So who cares whether or not they listen?

jmm,

Won't be enough to have your RE license ... you'll need a RE broker to take you in. Once you start being metered by your broker, it'll feel alot more like w*ork.

Good luck.

The wife of a friend of mine is a real estate agent. He tells me that she gets nothing, nada, zilch from her broker. She has to pay for everything, including the office space that she uses in the brokers office. She has to pay for all advertising,
her automobile and her gasoline,,, everything. So, at least in her case, making a profit is tough; she has to sell a lot of homes.
Remember when agents used to brag about being million dollar sellers ?
Selling a million means about making $17,000 gross, not including expenses.
On the surface it seems like an easy job and in some markets, maybe it is.
But I don't think it's as easy as it seems.
People shouldn't retire unless they know what they're going to do with their time.
Some people, like my Dad, did not plan ahead for all the free time and it drove him crazy; eventually went back to work for a few more years.
As reported earlier, I took a part time job working for the Pirates and Steelers
on game days; I enjoy it and that's enough for me !

bennevis said:
As reported earlier, I took a part time job working for the Pirates and Steelers
on game days; I enjoy it and that's enough for me !

Bennevis;
I loved your previous story about ushering at Pirates games and worked it in as a short profile in Work Less, Live More, The New Way to Retire Early. You're now an inspiration to ERs in print as well as online.

but I think your on the wrong board.
Actually, I think it could be a good thing to hear more from people who retired early and want to go back to work, or aren't sure they made the right decision.
Such discussion could be beneficial for people who really want to RE but have slight doubts, for those being pushed into RE unwillingly, for those who recently retired and are having trouble adjusting, and for anything inbetween or combined.

For example, I have a friend who has been very unhappy with work for a long time, and finally has the chance to retire in January, but is really afraid of it. I've tried to reassure this person, but I think a discussion forum could help much more. Including negative examples, not just rosy ones.
I wasn't able to find much discussion that applied, so suggested joining the RE boards and making a new post. (Hasn't yet.)

(I'm happy I decided to quit working, but don't have any problem hearing from those who aren't, so long as it doesn't get preachy or doomsday-ey. :))

lazyday said:
Actually, I think it could be a good thing to hear more from people who retired early and want to go back to work, or aren't sure they made the right decision.
Such discussion could be beneficial for people who really want to RE but have slight doubts, for those being pushed into RE unwillingly, for those who recently retired and are having trouble adjusting, and for anything inbetween or combined.
It's been over a year, so I think we all could benefit by reviewing the classic & final quote from that inveterate poster & ER guru Ted:

"So if you don't like my negative comments about people who want to drop out of the workforce, maximize their social security benefits and reduce their taxes, and then claim that they are doing the rest of the country some sort of favor, screw you."

okay, so let me add "pissy"
to "preachy" and "doomsday-ey" above. ;)

I'm reasonably altruistic, but I see nothing wrong with maximizing my benefits, and after working and paying taxes for 35yrs, I done the country a favor or two, and I'll quit when I'm damned good and ready!! 8)

There can be a big difference between saying "I want to retire but won't I be lonely?" or "I retired but am bored out of my mind" and saying "If you retire early, you're a selfish leech that will destroy our society."

Maybe the last one would get tiresome fast, and should be discouraged if it's been beaten to death. But even the first are often discouraged, with posts that make it sound like you're a simpleton if you can't quickly fill your time with fun and/or social things to do.

I wish there were more support for those who have difficulty with the adjustment to retirement.

lazyday said:
There can be a big difference between saying "I want to retire but won't I be lonely?" or "I retired but am bored out of my mind" and saying "If you retire early, you're a selfish leech that will destroy our society."

Maybe the last one would get tiresome fast, and should be discouraged if it's been beaten to death. But even the first are often discouraged, with posts that make it sound like you're a simpleton if you can't quickly fill your time with fun and/or social things to do.

I wish there were more support for those who have difficulty with the adjustment to retirement.

I think you have a good point. I know a number of FI people who are struggling with the retirement concept because their lives revolved so much around work. One is a coworker of mine who started to try to phase out of work by going to Florida in January. He quickly tired of golf. He found himself sitting on benches in malls while his wife shopped. He ran back to work as fast as he could. And he is not the least bit passionate about work. I think he is at a loss of what to do with himself.

He found himself sitting on benches in malls while his wife shopped. He ran back to work as fast as he could. And he is not the least bit passionate about work. I think he is at a loss of what to do with himself.

Oh Yuck! :-X - That sounds terrible. - Too bad the guy has no interests. - Lot's of folks like that. - The Movie 'About Schimdt' provided a glimpse of these folks. I say let them work and help medicare and SS remain solvent 8)

Snowing up there yet? :D

For those mentally or emotionally unprepared for retirement, I would suggest reading "Don't Retire, Re-wire" It is essentially a work book for those challenged with the concept of loss of self due to no longer being a Big fish in a little pond. The books is written by a couple of recruiters and give a lot of insight into the reasons why some folks don't do well in retirement emotionally and socially. It is not a fiancial book, rather an intellectual one on finding a way to transfer the same drivers that get your blood moving in the workplace to drivers that will keep you happy in retirement.

I don't get the feeling that most of the people on this board woud need it but those struggling with fear of losing social and self actualization rewards by loss of their job should read this.

It kind of answers the question "So what do you need to do to feel good about your life no longer revolving around your work?"

Cut-Throat said:
Snowing up there yet? :D

Supposed to get 5 to 8 inches by Wednesday. Time to get out the skiis!

So far none by the lake, but cars coming down from over the hill have snow on them.

Martha said:
Supposed to get 5 to 8 inches by Wednesday. Time to get out the skiis!

So far none by the lake, but cars coming down from over the hill have snow on them.

Keep it over there! No snow in the forecast here in UNY yet.

I pretty much always need something to do myself. So I find myself always doing something. There is always something to do. Go back to school, go back to church, volenteer for something, be a mentor, find a hobby.

Remember when the kids would whine, "but I'm so bored". God didn't you just want to smack 'em?

BUM said:
Remember when the kids would whine, "but I'm so bored". God didn't you just want to smack 'em?
Put 'em to work!

I love watching my kid's thought process when she enters the room and is carelessly about to utter those fateful words. Then she remembers what happened the last time she said that. Suddenly she stops, gets an inspiration, and runs away before we can offer any helpful suggestions.

SteveR said:
For those mentally or emotionally unprepared for retirement, I would suggest reading "Don't Retire, Re-wire" It is essentially a work book for those challenged with the concept of loss of self due to no longer being a Big fish in a little pond. The books is written by a couple of recruiters and give a lot of insight into the reasons why some folks don't do well in retirement emotionally and socially. It is not a fiancial book, rather an intellectual one on finding a way to transfer the same drivers that get your blood moving in the workplace to drivers that will keep you happy in retirement.

I don't get the feeling that most of the people on this board woud need it but those struggling with fear of losing social and self actualization rewards by loss of their job should read this.

It kind of answers the question "So what do you need to do to feel good about your life no longer revolving around your work?"

SteveR, that is the best review of the book I have seen. I thought it was a well written book with some interesting excercises yet somehow I couldn't figure out why I just didn't like it. I think it is as you said, most people on this board don't need it as posters here are less defined by their work that the primary reader addressed by that book.

Back
Top Bottom