Votes: 1 1.2%
  • VOIP phone

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • cheap prepaid cell phone

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • antennae tv, no cable or satellite

Votes: 15 18.5%

• Total voters
Could have included VOIP phone and Prepaid cellphone (which can be less than $10 per month) versus regular cellular phone (which is usually 3-5X as much).

All right, DanTien, what did you do with Martha? ;)

Cox bundled our cable internet, cable land line, and HDTV/HBO/Mega package cable tv for about $110 a month. I admit it's the buffet effect, consuming more than I would a la carte.

Oops, forgot regular tv, no cable or satellite. Added to poll. Where is Dantein when I need him? :-[

Those early numbers show a lot less DSL than I would have expected.

Maybe we should "leak" these results to Verizon and buy their stock...

I checked two or more cell phones -- DH and I each have one.

We'll be getting rid of the land line if it ever is more expensive than additional cell minutes to cover our local calls. (We use our cells primarily for long distance and, in my case, work.)

Land lines (2) one is DSL line; one is home phone
Cell phones (2) one each and hers rings all the time. :p
DSL :D
Dish Network with the kitchen sink :D :D :D Love HD football

DSL in my area is only offered through Bellsouth. It is almost as expensive as cable internet but with a much slower connection. Plus, I'd easily pay the extra bit that I'm paying just so I don't have to deal with Bellsouth any more than I already do.

Unfortunately, cable internet is only offered through TimeWarner in my area, so I can either pay Bellsouth's price for DSL or TW's price for cable internet. Very little competition.

Have cell phone paid for by work. Would not have it if not provided by work.

I'm surprised so few have VOIP fon service. We chucked the land line and save 15 bucks a month and no long distance charges.

As of right now adding land line and VOIP together only 25% of people seem to have fixed telephone service.  I can't imagine that's true...  maybe a significant number of people didn't read the instructions and thought they could only pick one.  Or maybe nobody knows what a land line is.

EDIT: Strange, it says 21.2% have landlines in the poll even though it reports that 38 out of 46 have them. I can't figure out what percent is, but ignore my comments above... it seems that most people are reporting having them.

fireme said:
As of right now adding land line and VOIP together only 25% of people seem to have fixed telephone service. I can't imagine that's true... maybe a significant number of people didn't read the instructions and thought they could only pick one. Or maybe nobody knows what a land line is.

As of now, out of 41 voters, 34 have landlines, or 83%.

BTW, we don't have a landline or VOIP and rely on cell phones exclusively.

I don't have a prepaid cell phone but I have a prepaid LD calling card.

MJ

Nords said:
Maybe we should "leak" these results to Verizon and buy their stock...

How much can we get paid for "leaking"?

Maybe we should start a separate poll.

Hey, I use cellphone internet. It's my only internet. It's a card that plugs in my computer (doesn't do voice)

Hasn't anyone heard of internet by cell.....?

Audrey

audreyh1 said:
Hey, I use cellphone internet. It's my only internet.  It's a card that plugs in my computer (doesn't do voice)

Hasn't anyone heard of internet by cell.....?

Audrey

I looked into doing that a few years ago when I was contemplating a move to an island in Panama.  Isn't it a bit expensive? Don't you have access to a land line?

-pb

pbrane said:
I looked into doing that a few years ago when I was contemplating a move to an island in Panama.  Isn't it a bit expensive? Don't you have access to a land line?

-pb
It's a lot cheaper than internet by satellite which I notice is listed in the poll!! Things have changed considerably in a couple of years.

No, I do not have a landline. In fact I do not live in a house. I am mobile (motorhome), thus I have to use wireless solutions for phone, internet, TV, etc.

Audrey

audreyh1 said:
It's a lot cheaper than internet by satellite which I notice is listed in the poll!!  Things have changed considerably in a couple of years.

No, I do not have a landline.  In fact I do not live in a house.  I am mobile (motorhome), thus I have to use wireless solutions for phone, internet, TV, etc.

Audrey

...cool! Did you ever see that book on gypsy caravans? It shows some really interesting hand-built (usually wooden) caravans built onto truck beds etc. 

I'd be interested in the costs for the internet-cell set up, monthly costs etc (ou could send private message if it's a secret) or tell me what stuff you're using and I'll look into it myself.

And to the original poster/pollster: maybe you could also include satellite RADIO (XM, Sirius) as they are getting quite popular...

Thankz,
-pb

Audrey, do you use Datastorm? If so, how do you like it? Problems in wooded areas?

Can't really draw any conclusions from this poll, but I am curious as to who the one person is who doesn't have Internet. :)

Some guy who is posting from the library. Or using the power of his mind, maybe some brains and balls, to do his posting.

Back
Top Bottom