NewZealand Airlines

gwix98

Recycles dryer sheets
Hello all,

Planning a trip to New Zealand in late March 2006.
Basically, looking at flying Qantas or Air New Zealand.

I would like to hear any recommendations for one
over the other. Will be flying down from Seattle to
either San Francisco or Los Angeles for departure
into Auckland, and then on to Christchurch on the
southern island. Both price out about the same.

Tips?

Cut-throat...

Interesting as the reservations clerk asked if
I wanted "economy" class.

For what it costs to get there, it should be
"first class"...wow

I never liked flying in the US because the way they set up the seats, you were all jammed in, a most uncomfortable experiance.

Most International Airlines give you much more room.

I had no problems with ANZ.

New Zealand is an enjoyable destination, especially if you like spectacular scenery, but it ain't Vegas.

Some airlines stop at Nadi in Fiji on the way back, I really suggest if you have the opportunity to stay over you do.

Fiji is a much more pleasurable visit than Hawaii, Islands

If you are going from the US to NZ check out if you can stop over in Rarotonga, Cook Islands. One of our favorite places in the world. We want to get to NZ but we never make it past Raro. Its a hiden gem and I hesitate to mention it as someday it will get "discovered" and ruined. Sort of like Hawaii pre WWII.

I want to get to the Cooke Islands, but haven't, but one day.

I suggest to anyone taking these long flights to get some mild valium to help you sleep on the flight, and to take a pair of slippers .

gwix98 said:
I would like to hear any recommendations for one
over the other. Will be flying down from Seattle to
either San Francisco or Los Angeles for departure
into Auckland, and then on to Christchurch on the
southern island. Both price out about the same.

I flew Qantas from LA to Auckland, Christchurch to Sydney,
Sydney to Cairns, back to Sydney and back to LA. Very nice
airline. Comfortable seats, good entertainment and decent
food.

WanderALot said:
I flew Qantas from LA to Auckland, Christchurch to Sydney,
Sydney to Cairns, back to Sydney and back to LA.  Very nice
airline.   Comfortable seats, good entertainment and decent
food.

Qantas: LA to Auckland, Auckland to Melbourne, Sydney to LA.. business class (FF mileage). Fantastic!!

Leg room is critical.

Going back into ancient history, when our family flew to Australia in 1978 for my teacher exchange programme, we went with Air New Zealand from LA to Hawaii, Fiji, Auckland and on to Sydney.

It was a DC10, and the pilot had my boys who were 5 and 3 at the time, into the cockpit on the Honolulu  stopover.

Air New Zealand was first-rate back then. The only thing I would complain about was that the smoking and non-smoking sections were separated by a row and we had a chain-smoking woman sitting directly behind us. :D

The 5 year old just presented grandma & grandpa Zipper with our third grandchild in London last week. All are doing very well. ;)

Another vote for Air NZ. The South Island rules! Dunedin is fun college town and Queenstown is just fantastic. And yes, you HAVE to go to Milford Sound, it is amazing. I drove across the island with a retired couple from Queenstown and learned all kinds of interesting things about the hydroelectric power generating stations (when my eyes weren't shut on the hairpin turns!). What a great set of flights from Charleston, SC to Auckland--32 hours door to door! Flew Delta cross country to LA and what a difference when I got on the Air NZ flight. They had great deals in October, I paid a little under $900 for the whole set of flights. Get an extra memory card for the camera--the scenery is just spectacular!
Sarah

Back
Top Bottom