Big Ruckus

Martha

Moderator Emeritus
My DH has offered to buy me a honda Big Ruckus:
big_ruckusl.jpg

I gave up my speedy sport motorcycle a while ago and currently only have an on-road, off-road motorcycle, which I will keep.

The Big Ruckus is technically a scooter. Is it too nerdy/geeky? Would it be too goofy for a 51 year old woman with graying hair to ride?

Looking at reviews now.

Martha, stop it. You're causing such a big ruckus here.

My first impression - looks like something that a 20-something might drive around the local college town.

It is kinda geeky though.

Well....this 51 yr old woman drives a Yamaha Zuma for about 6 months of the yr and absolutely loves it!

Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From a review: Honda outlined the type of person that they see as a potential buyer for the Big Ruckus. And it was quite specific, from Urban deliveries (that’s Pizza), to the back of motor-homes, to the entry/commuter/female rider or just as a cottage runabout. It’s nippy, capable, has a big storage area at the back (big enough for a two-four of beer apparently) and most importantly, it has beaucoup de funk.

But the review also says:
While this position adds to the overall funkiness quotient (although there is some danger of looking like a tit), it does have the unfortunate knack of locking you in. Comfortable at first, I could feel a growing pressure on the top o’ my arse, which was hard to relieve (the pressure, not my arse) as it’s not easy to raise up on your legs since they’re pointing forwards, After my two hour ride, though, Monsieur Arse was still within acceptable soreness limits.

http://www.cmgonline.com/bikes/articles/05_Silverwing_BigRuckus/BigRuckus.html

Mixed feelings.

kz said:
Well....this 51 yr old woman drives a Yamaha Zuma for about 6 months of the yr and absolutely loves it!

Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many ccs does the Zuma have? Do you just use it around town? Don't the wheels seems small? I would worry about potholes but maybe there are any where you are.

It's Positive Affirmation Time!!! :D :D

Martha, don't worry about your hair color or how you might look, if you want a Ruckus just go and get one and be the best Ruckus driver you can be! :D :D

JPatrick said:
It's Positive Affirmation Time!!! :D :D

Martha, don't worry about your hair color or how you might look, if you want a Ruckus just go and get one and be the best Ruckus driver you can be! :D :D

Thanks for the pat. :)

Now if you chose a Vespa (and especially if you rode it sort of side saddle) , quite a different message would be sent---wouldn't it?

REWahoo! said:
:LOL: That's putting it in focus!
(Cute Fuzzy Bunny) said:
Change the name of the Ford Focus to the Ford Ruckus. Why not?
JPatrick said:
... if you want a Ruckus just go and get one and be the best Ruckus driver you can be! :D :D
Phew, and to think that I was worried the punchline was a little too subtle...

That bike looks pretty raucous.

If you get the bike, you’ll have to dye your hair pink and/or green so you’ll look appropriate on it. Just my take.

When I think of 50-year-olds on scooters, this is what comes to mind.

handicap%20scooter%20FP-101.jpg

wab said:

The seat looks really comfortable. What's the top speed on that sucker, 3, 4 mph?

wab said:

At no cost to you!

Attachments

• no_cost.JPG
    no_cost.JPG
    6.2 KB · Views: 65
Nords said:
Phew, and to think that I was worried the punchline was a little too subtle...

All the subtlety of a train wreck...

I went too deep with the ford escape/oj simpson joke last week. This one is easy.

I'll have to try to dig up the video of the guy with the hopped up scooter like the one above smoking a hot rod trans am in a quarter mile race.

They were going about 100mph at the end. Guy on the scooter was a complete idiot.

kz said:
If I'm ever next to you at a stoplight you can plan on me saying--

"so hows your Zuma, lady?"

(Cute Fuzzy Bunny) said:
I'll have to try to dig up the video of the guy with the hopped up scooter like the one above smoking a hot rod trans am in a quarter mile race.

They were going about 100mph at the end. Guy on the scooter was a complete idiot.

I was hoping that photo was a photoshop. Guess he's trying out for the Darwin awards.

The Zuma is technically licensed as a moped but it goes up to 45 mph. The new Zumas have wide tires compared to the old ones with the skinny tires. (I had an older one that went with the youngest kid off to college years ago. And it didn't come back, thank goodness)

I bought mine brand new in 2003 and paid $1900. I saw them around $2300-2400 in college towns since they're so popular. The dealership I bought it at said that half the ones they sold went off to Madison (WI) with the college kids. Unfortunately mine did too for one summer.

I have to say, though, that both hubby and I were drooling over the pic you posted on that Ruckus. He especially liked the backrest. I'm guessing we'll be visiting the Honda dealer in the near future. ;)

Is it too nerdy/geeky? Would it be too goofy for a 51 year old woman with graying hair to ride?

Definitely no. However, you have to wait a few months before you can ride it. It's cold and slippery to ride in Minnesota winter months.

justin said:
I was hoping that photo was a photoshop. Guess he's trying out for the Darwin awards.

I heard a couple of times it was faked, but I saw the whole video and it looked legit.

Back
Top Bottom