• 1.0-1.5

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • 1.5-2.0

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 2.0+

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

cute fuzzy bunny

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Whats the total average expense ratio for all of your investments? Include any planners or advisors regular fees.

0.4827%, including all trading commissions & "fees". Funny how my Fidelity 1099 is filled with all kinds of numbers, but there's nothing telling me how much I spent on commissions & fees.

Tweedy, Browne Global Value, with its 1.38% ER, is over three times the next-highest ER. It's also one of the reasons we're spending it down first.

Fidelity Cash Reserves (FDRXX) claims an ER of 0.43%. For a money market?!? What's up with that?

Go ahead, TH, hit us with your ER. I suspect it'll give most of us a bad case of ER envy.

Fluttering between .18 and .19. I could get it to ~.15 but its really not worth the effort.

To be fair, when I was heavier into slicing and dicing with exotic stuff like emerging market and international small cap, it was around .26.

Alright, let's discuss how one determines a legitimate expense ratio.
I say it has to come from a Morningstar X-ray analysis. Or maybe an excel spreadsheet, but then CFB has to provide us with a sample excel file in order to plug in our own numbers.

LOL! said:
Alright, let's discuss how one determines a legitimate expense ratio.
Are you the one who's always kvetching about how we determine net worth?!?

.12357490032 ?

I really don't know :confused: :D

Your broker should be able to tell you. Vanguard has it on the web site as part of the portfolio display.

Multiply the ER of each fund by the holding amount. Thats what the ER is for that fund in dollars (yeah, it doesnt necessarily include some significant overhead like trading expenses in a high turnover actively managed fund, but hey). Add all of those amounts up and divide that total by the total size of your portfolio.

Mine is 0.30.  I keep track of my portfolio on Morningstar.com.  The "x-ray" function includes the overall porfolio expense ratio.

Retire Soon

Nords said:
Are you the one who's always kvetching about how we determine net worth?!?

Nope, that's not me. I kvetch about YTD return or annual return.

Our's is 0.63 for equity portfolio per M* Instant X-Ray

JohnP

I doubt most people will be able to give a reliable number for their ER.

For example, this may be a tough number to calculate if people have a significant amount in their 401(k).  Do the 401(k) administrators provide an expense ratio to the particiapants anyway?

Also, to get a more accurate number it should be a weighted average.

I have never figured my weighted average ER, but now that you brought it up, I think it's a good idea so I'll add a column to my portfolio spreadsheet.  I remember when I first started that spreadsheet with only 2 or 3 accounts in it and only a column for the institution, one for the account number, and one for the balance.  Boy has it evolved over the past 20 years!!!

6% :eek:

I can talk a realtor down to a 5% commision but then I have add tax stamps and closing costs. Don't ask about taxes.

retire@40 said:

For example, this may be a tough number to calculate if people have a significant amount in their 401(k).  Do the 401(k) administrators provide an expense ratio to the particiapants anyway?

I have never figured my weighted average ER, but now that you brought it up, I think it's a good idea so I'll add a column to my portfolio spreadsheet.  I remember when I first started that spreadsheet with only 2 or 3 accounts in it and only a column for the institution, one for the account number, and one for the balance.  Boy has it evolved over the past 20 years!!!

Looked up all the ETFs and funds, then did the weighted-avg thingy, so mine is pretty close... Would post it all, but I'm too lazy... ::)

I put .4-.5, but I'm not sure, my worst are slightly over 1%, my best is what, .18% (Vanguard S&P index)? I also hold Wellington, a couple other indexes. My international is the bloodsucker.

retire@40 said:
For example, this may be a tough number to calculate if people have a significant amount in their 401(k). Do the 401(k) administrators provide an expense ratio to the particiapants anyway?
It's comments like this that inspire other posters to call you a noodge.

I don't know about everyone's 401(k)s but I do see ERs discussed from time to time. The TSP's ERs are right on their website. Not only did I provide a weighted average, I also included all the brokerage trading commissions & fees.

Were you going to discuss your ER, or just complain about everyone else's?

Our expense ratio is 0.63% according to the Vanguard web site and confirmed by a Morningstar X-ray analysis.

That puts us in a high bracket according to the poll.  We are dragged up because we have 401(k) plans with some high ERs.  For example, the S&P index fund in my 401(k) has an ER of 0.64% and it gets worse from there. :-\  My spouse has most of her 401(k) money in a small cap value fund with an ER of 1.31%.  Thank goodness the 3-year annualized return for that fund is above 33%.

I used weighted average ERs for funds/ETFs, assumed 0.05% for individual stocks to account for amortized trading costs and dividend reinvestment costs, 0.3% for individual bonds, and added in account maintenance fees.

My spreadsheet says 0.27%, but I bumped it up to "0.3-0.4%" because there are probably some wire fees or something that I have forgotten.

Bpp

My 401k has SP500, Russ2000, and MCSI-EAFE "in-house funds" with ERs of 0.05, 0.04, and 0.75% respectively. Looking for a lower cost alternative to intl. blend; probably EFA, with an ER of 0.35%, or EFV (already own) at 0.4%.

The highest are CEE @ 1.2%, IGR @ 0.91%, and the aforementioned intl fund.

Lowest are the two in-house funds mentioned above, along with VBR @ 0.12% and TIP @ 0.2%.

Good question. I had never quantified it. It came out to .42, which is a little higher than I thought. I guess the man is sticking to me afterall. :duh:

Federal Thrift Savings Plan .05% (.0005) :)

Back
Top Bottom