The Cost of Retiring Healthy

Zipper said:
Why do you put up with that? :(

Is the Canadian system significantly more cost effective (it may be - I do not know)? If not, then you are paying the same amount through your taxes - no free lunch.

Part of the problem of socializing services is people think of them as being 'free'. Usually, that leads to waste. Part of the problem with the US system is that many are covered by insurance, so they also do not see the costs associated with a treatment.

-ERD50

ERD50 said:
Is the Canadian system significantly more cost effective (it may be - I do not know)? If not, then you are paying the same amount through your taxes - no free lunch.

Hmm... maybe not quite that simple. A universal system has imperfect but built-in boundaries as to how much care is covered, limits on futile care, and appropriate incentives to minimize the risk of an entrepreneurial provider ordering gray-zone tests because there is a profit involved. It also makes everyone ration their health care costs via taxes, so that the risk of catastrophic illness, etc. does not have to affect decisions about changing jobs, retiring, etc.

Yes, the Canadian system is cheaper per capita (a LOT cheaper) than the USA.  See here http://consumeraffairs.com/news03/health_costs.html for starters - a third the cost. Outcomes are generally as good or better in Canada (notwithstanding the usual anecdotes about dying while waiting 3 months for your coronary bypass surgery). It's the way it is.

Rich_in_Tampa said:
A universal system has imperfect but built-in boundaries as to how much care is covered, limits on futile care, and appropriate incentives to minimize the risk of an entrepreneurial provider ordering gray-zone tests because there is a profit involved.

Ding ding ding...

ERD50 writes the usual that folks will assume medical care is free and thus waste it.  I think that may be more ideology than fact.

I would argue that utilities, and health care is a form of utility in the sense that you have no alternative, should be removed from the profit system.  The need to pay dividends to stock holders adds to the cost of health care.  But lobbys for special interests will never let it happen.  Witness the pharmaceutical coverage the Bush administration implemented.

db

db said:
I would argue that utilities, and health care is a form of utility in the sense that you have no alternative, should be removed from the profit system.

Some would argue that health care is even more than a utility: that it is a right, when used appropriately. Throw in some sin taxes to support the burden imposed by tobacco, alcohol, etc. if you have issues there.

I am with you on this Rich. If enough of us decide it is a right, it will be a right.

The move towards a so called consumer driven model, with more of the cost born by the patient so the patient makes better "choices," doesn't make much sense. Taking your kid to the doctor because he has a sniffle is a drop in the bucket.
Most healthcare costs are from expensive conditions and chronic conditions. No matter what choices are made, it costs a lot. And if you are seriously ill you are not shopping based on cost.

I'm pretty moderate politically, but trust me: market-style capitalism and health care do not work well together. Lots of ethical and moral reasons, but also ..

a) unlike widgets, you can't withhold needed care on the basis of ability to pay (unless you are a psychopath),
b) a sick patient cannot reasonably be expected to shop around for the best deal,
c) all the power is concentrated in the provider given the technical expertise - the dynamic is lethal to good faith negotiation,
d) patient's cannot opt out on the basis of cost without unreasonable consequences,
e) third party costs alone eat up a third of expenditures and only drive wedges between patients and their physicians. I could go on and on.

The "let the market take care of it" system being promoted is great, however, if you are an insurance executive. Oh.. and to keep this thread on topic: it really screws up FIRE plans for alot of people ;)

Rich_in_Tampa said:
I'm pretty moderate politically, but trust me: market-style capitalism and health care do not work well together.

That is certainly true, but medical progress is pushed forward by a profit motive. It's hard to say, which, if any, of the world's break-through drugs and treatments would have been invented without the U.S. consumer footing the bill. The rest of the world can, and does, look down smugly at the U.S. system when, instead, they should simply say "thank you."

Well, I was referring to health care delivery rather than pharmaceutical research. I agree that private research has brought some great achievements, and that paying for R&D is a necessity. That is indeed a tricky one.

Oops -- gotta go -- there is a beautiful babe in a short dress and low-cut blouse who wants to detail me on her company's new "me-too" designer drug which costs $300 a month, and is almost as good as ibuprofen. And I'll get free dinner tickets at Chez Celebrex, and a $500 honorarium for lecturing on .... oh never mind. ::)

Sarcasm aside (it's been a long day ;)) - breakthroughs are real, but day-to-day management of getting basic good care to folks with the commoner diseases in an affordable and reliable way is where the payoff is (for patients). There are zillion dollar cancer drugs that extend survival by 2.9 months (much of it under therapy). Never know which one will some day be "the cure" but I hope you can see that with limited resources it is not always clear how to best spread the most fairy dust around.

$108 per month.

What? Oh, yeah. That's the cost of catastrophic health coverage for a 50-year-old to retire healthfully.

Delaying retirement only increases the likelihood medical care will be necessary. And the incremental increase in earnings by delaying retirement seems a poor trade-off for the incremental loss of time value, all other things being equal.

I'm 58, healthy and drug free as I have been most of my life. I hope my lifestyle will keep me that way for years to come and keep my health costs down. Of course that asumes that a drunken driver won't run me over while riding my bicycle or an exotic disease won't overwhelms my immune system and kill me. :)

Rich In Tampa
Yes, the Canadian system is cheaper per capita (a LOT cheaper) than the USA.  See here http://consumeraffairs.com/news03/health_costs.html for starters
That article is 3 years old... why not read NYTimes As Canada's Slow-Motion Public Health System Falters, Private Medical Care Is Surging By CLIFFORD KRAUSS Published: February 26, 2006
http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=F30D14FB3D550C7B8EDDAB0894DE404482 ?
Rich
Some would argue that health care is even more than a utility: that it is a right,
Martha
I am with you on this Rich.  If enough of us decide it is a right, it will be a right.

Well... we can't live without food, water, air... Are these rights too? Isn't this getting a bit out of hand here? I thought health care is a responsibility, not a right..
Maybe I should look for "food, water and air insurance"

3 yrs to go
That is certainly true, but medical progress is pushed forward by a profit motive. It's hard to say, which, if any, of the world's break-through drugs and treatments would have been invented without the U.S. consumer footing the bill.  The rest of the world can, and does, look down smugly at the U.S. system when, instead, they should simply say "thank you."   

I agree with you there, 3Yrs... 

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

I agree that the way we pay for health care in the US isn't rational and leads to big inefficiencies. Linking health insurance to employment isn't working anymore for the employees or the employers. Got it.

I just wonder where the "right" to health care comes from, philosophically. None of the traditional rights (e.g. in the constitution) involve forcibly taking one person's assets (time/money/etc) and giving it to someone else.

Here's a Libertarian perspective on this thang:
http://www.objectivistcenter.org/ct-14-Is_There_Right_Health_Care.aspx

Or, maybe we'll choose "from each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs." Others have.

Interesting comments. My original post was in response to 'zipper' from Canada. That was just to point out that Canadians pay for health care too, it comes out of their taxes.

All the systems have faults and (hopefully) good points.

I must say, I don't get the idea of medical services as a 'utility'. Utilities were put in place (in theory) when the government decides that competition would be too disruptive (running multiple power, gas, sewer, water lines through public easements). It may be for the common good, but competitive forces don't keep those utilities innovating and fighting to be efficient and win customers. They don't have to.

But why can't medical services be competitive? Choose your doctor, hospital, prescriptions (where there are alternatives)?

That doesn't mean the government can't supply some kind of catastrophic care, and care for the very poor. Ideally, I'd like to see all those people pay for their own insurance, but that's not going to happen, so having the government do it through taxation may be the only way.

I'm not sure that relying on our employers for health insurance is a good system (remember, we still pay for it one way or the other). Maybe it should work the other way around. For example, when you take out a mortgage, the lender wants proof that you have insurance, but you are free to find the best deal. Maybe employers should ask for proof that you have some form of pro-active health insurance to protect their interests (a healthy employee will be more productive). But, just like home insurance, you would shop around. Of course, your salary would be higher so you can afford the insurance - the company is not paying for your insurance any longer.

OK, it's probably a crazy idea - I'm just brainstorming.

-ERD50

Billy said:
Well... we can't live without food, water, air... Are these rights too? Isn't this getting a bit out of hand here? I thought health care is a responsibility, not a right..
Maybe I should look for "food, water and air insurance"

A "right" in the same sense that reasonabe roads, effective law enforcement, a basic level of infrastructure, fire departments and the like are "rights." We pay for all these somewhat equitably as a society (taxes) because we feel they are basic values and services ("rights" in a sense) we deserve as Americans. I would simply put decent health care at least as high on my priority list. (I doubt many would like to buy firefighter insurance, police insurance, etc.)

Isn't this getting a bit out of hand here? I thought health care is a responsibility, not a right..

That feels pretty harsh, but I respect your opinion. I would hate to tell my cancer patients tomorrow that their leukemia or breast cancer was their "responsibility." Alas, I may have to tell some of them that paying for the care is.

Hope you can see a reasonableness to the viewpoint, even if you don't happen to agree. Maybe at least a catastrophic coverage plan would help some (e.g. expenses over $10K/citizen/yr). I see a badly broken system that has gone wild with millions of Americans paying very deeply in terms of suffering, finances, and disrupted life plans -- and getting worse very moment. Time to address it as a nation.

Just my $.02.

Shopping around for the best health insurance deal only works at all well if you are healthy. People with health conditions have no bargaining power.

SAMCLEM
I agree that the way we pay for health care in the US isn't rational and leads to big inefficiencies.  Linking health insurance to employment isn't working anymore for the employees or the employers.   Got it. 

You are correct, Sam... Guaranteed payments for anything doesn't work. There is no need to find balance in the system. Forcing employers to pay for healthcare as a 'right' leads to these inefficiencies, and it bleeds the small businessman.

I just wonder where the "right" to health care comes from, philosophically.  None of the traditional rights (e.g. in the constitution) involve forcibly taking one person's assets (time/money/etc) and giving it to someone else.   
The article you suggested was clearly written and informative. Thanks! We have the freedom to pursue the 'best' healthcare, not an entitlement to it.

ERD 50
It may be for the common good, but competitive forces don't keep those utilities innovating and fighting to be efficient and win customers. They don't have to.
That's exactly the point, isn't it? Because payment of dispensing healthcare is not subject to competitive forces, there is no need to supply it efficiently. Payments are 'guaranteed.'
But why can't medical services be competitive? Choose your doctor, hospital, prescriptions (where there are alternatives)?

That doesn't mean the government can't supply some kind of catastrophic care, and care for the very poor.

I hold that same position, ERD50.   There is nothing wrong with wanting some sort of balance here...

when you take out a mortgage, the lender wants proof that you have insurance, but you are free to find the best deal.
That is the point. You have put it succinctly.
Rich in Tampa

A "right" in the same sense that reasonabe roads, effective law enforcement, a basic level of infrastructure, fire departments and the like are "rights." We pay for all these somewhat equitably as a society (taxes) because we feel they are basic values and services ("rights" in a sense) we deserve as Americans. I would simply put decent health care at least as high on my priority list. (I doubt many would like to buy firefighter insurance, police insurance, etc.)

I think the definition of "right" is misconstrued. Those basic levels of infrastructure and fire and police departments are services given to those living in the city or town paid for by taxes. Those are not rights. You can't simply make up meanings of words.. (with all due respect Rich..) ;)

A right is a principle that specifies something which an individual should be free to have or do. A right is an entitlement, something you possess free and clear, something you can exercise without asking anyone else's permission. Because it is an entitlement, not a privilege or favor, we do not owe anyone else any gratitude for their recognition of our rights.

We are not entitled to good roads, we pay for them. We are not entitled to the fire department, we pay for them.

Rich
That feels pretty harsh, but I respect your opinion. I would hate to tell my cancer patients tomorrow that their leukemia or breast cancer was heir "responsibility." Alas, I may have to tell some of them that paying for the care is.

It was not meant to be harsh. Taking care of our health is our responsibility. I didn't say getting cancer of the breast was my fault, nor going blind due to some congenital defect etc. You are taking my words and placing them in your particular context to make them seem cold.  :p That, my friend, is not fair.  Nor is it necessary in a useful discussion  :D

Rich
Hope you can see a reasonableness to the viewpoint, even if you don't happen to agree. Maybe at least a catastrophic coverage plan would help some (e.g. expenses over $10K/citizen/yr). I see a badly broken system that has gone wild with millions of Americans paying very deeply in terms of suffering, finances, and disrupted life plans -- and getting worse very moment. Time to address it as a nation.

Actually, we do agree here. Catastrophic coverage could be useful - society needs help when disasters happen. Still, they aren't the end-all -- look at FEMA -- and government run programs are notoriously inefficient.

Martha
The move towards a so called consumer driven model, with more of the cost born by the patient so the patient makes better "choices," doesn't make much sense.
Of course it makes sense. (Again, with all due respect) name one service or product you pay for where you don't shop around. Did you buy your last car without shopping around? or fill your grocery cart without shopping around and making decisions?
Martha
Shopping around for the best health insurance deal only works at all well if you are healthy. People with health conditions have no bargaining power.

Well, that's assuming you wait until you are ill to find health insurance. There are some states that allow that to happen, (I believe New Jersey is one state) where folks are guaranteed to be covered if they become very ill, even though they have no insurance in the meantime. This boosts rates up enormously for everyone else to cover these situations.

Personally, I find that to be harsh.  :p

With brainstorming and respect shown, there has to be some kind of answer here.  :confused:

Akaisha

Akaisha, I think healthcare is more about relationships and trust than about shopping. You develop a relationship with a primary care doctor. Primary care doctors are not terribly expensive in and of themselves. You develop a health condition and your doctor makes recommendations. You may ask for a second opinion, but no matter what you want what is best for you, not necessarily the cheapest solution. Plus, if you are ill, you are not inclined to shop around at that time. Money is not on your mind. The best care is what is on your mind.

With respect to insurance, as I mentioned, if you are perfectly healthy or employed by an employer that offers insurance you will have a pretty easy time of buying health insurance. It wasn't until federal law intervened with HIPAA that people at least could leave their jobs for a new one without worrying about pre-existing exclusion periods. Trapping people in unwanted jobs is not good for anyone. Also, many states allow insurance premiums to increase after you become ill or as you age. This can price people right out of the market. Again, they have no bargaining power.

I question whether universal coverage would increase cost for everyone, given cost comparisons with countries that provide national healthcare. However, even if it did, I don't have a big problem with that. I pay for schools even though I have no children. It is in our nation's interest to have an educated population. Similarly it is in our nation's interest to have a healthy population. But I refuse to acknowledge it would be more expensive without some real evidence of that fact. I also refuse to buy arguments that the care would not be as good unless I am presented with real evidence of that fact.

Minnesota has done pretty well with using the insurance model and subsidizing health insurance for the low income and those with preexisting conditions. However, one problem with the model is that when money gets tight, there always is talk of cutting the subsidized insurance to the poor. States are doing that now with medicaid. This is one of the reasons I am coming to the conclusion that an insurance model is not going to work. Insurance companies are not going to cover at reasonable cost the poor and unhealthy without subsidies. If subsidies are viewed not as an entitlement, then they will be subject to political whims and risks of cuts when state budgets are tight. So, I am coming to the conclusion that it is time to take on the insurance lobby and have national healthcare.

In my experience, people who are prosperous, have enjoyed great health and have avoided chronic illness find the market-driven system to be fine. When faced with chronic illness, job loss in the face of illness, or even (sometimes) a desire or need to retire, they often change the way they feel.

Understandable change of heart, after being beaten down time after time after time by a Kafka-esque and failed system - the 25 y.o insurance company phone receptionist telling them their last drug or procedure wasn't covered, the $125 aspirin in the hospital (to make up for the $2500 MRI scan they had to do for free on the penniless ER patient), the pretty wealthy 75 y.o. scrambling to sell everything so her husband's nursing home bills don't impoverish her, and on and on.

Not any easy problem but the first step is to recognize it exists. Like it or not, your turn will come (unless you are "lucky" enough to meet a sudden demise after a life of good health). I remember Medical Society meetings where even a hint of support for a national level catastrophic care policy would get you shunned. Now the shunners are in their 70s, and lobbying for broader Medicare coverage. Live goes in circles, they say.

Hmmm

As an old fire breathing SW Washington Democrat with a Finnish Grandmother who read strange Minnesota newspapers(mailorder) in her lifetime - my ability to achieve a balanced view of the situation is somewhat limited.

I will speculate - ala the 'World is Flat' school - the business view may undergo a shift in coming years on the basis of competiveness.

And I don't think placing the entire burden on the individual/insurance industry model as it exists today will be acceptable.

Don't know what will emerge - but expect a lot of screaming and yelling and nashing of teeth - before something workable happens.

:confused: 40% of all medical cost in the U.S. is on the taxpayers nickel in some form right now:confused:

Can't remember where I saw that number.

heh heh heh heh - this one will be with us for a while - sorta like SWR.

Sorry I couldn't get to this sooner. We had to do a border run to Burma/Myanmar and it took the whole day.

Martha:
Akaisha, I think healthcare is more about relationships and trust than about shopping.  You develop a relationship with a primary care doctor.  Primary care doctors are not terribly expensive in and of themselves.  You develop a health condition and your doctor makes recommendations.  You may ask for a second opinion, but no matter what you want what is best for you, not necessarily the cheapest solution. 
You have made some good points, Martha. Everyone's approach to healthcare is different, there is no doubt. I haven't had a primary care physician since I was a child living at home with my parents. I moved across country when I was 21, and although I had insurance, I don't remember having a primary care physician. When we bought our restaurant I was 27. In the decade we owned the restaurant, I could  count on one hand how many shifts I missed due to illness. I think stress is what held me together.  :eek:

When Billy worked for Dean Witter, a health care policy was provided - and I went to a medical clinic in our town for this or that -- and some of the doctors were kind, some were cold. There was nothing even nearing a 'relationship' with any doctor... Of course I appreciated the kinder ones more, but what I wanted was a professional opinion. I had friends for relationships... I don't mean that to sound cold, so please take that in the manner in which I am offering it.  ;)

When I am hiring someone, I am hiring a service -- you know what I mean? I want new eyeballs looking at the facts, and someone who can assess a situation. If I have 7 minutes in a doctor's office I do not want to spend 5 of those minutes talking about how my cucumbers are growing in my garden or how my dog is doing. It is entirely possible that since I was never given the "Leave it to Beaver" life - I could be jealous of those who have..? so I have a different approach to the providing of healthcare.  :confused:

When I mention shopping around for a health care policy, I mean 'value' not necessarily the cheapest. And when I need medical care, I discuss my options with the doctor, and we decide together what we do. If he suggests a test or procedure, I ask him why, and I ask him what result or information he is expecting to get from it. I also ask if he thinks it is necessary, and then we discuss it a little more. I don't go for the cheapest, I go for value for money spent.  I also do not hold the belief that everything under the sun should be done to save me from dying.

Martha:
With respect to insurance, as I mentioned, if you are perfectly  healthy or employed by an employer that offers insurance you will have a pretty easy time of buying  health insurance....Trapping people in unwanted jobs is not good for anyone. Also, many states allow insurance premiums to increase after you become ill or as you age.  This can price people right out of the market.  Again, they have no bargaining power.

I understand. This is so annyoying about health insurance companies. Having health insurance for the healthy seems a bit silly. The moment one becomes ill and actually uses his health insurance, rates go up or one can find they are no longer insurable. It doesn't matter if you have had no claims, if you cross over a certain age barrier, your rates can go up. Trapping people in unwanted jobs because of a health care policy is more exploitation by the health care insurance companies. Also, to demand that an employer supply HCInsurance is much of the same. We are all being held hostage to this one issue. There is no freedom of movement or freedom of choice.

On the other hand, I don't believe the state should be dictating prices. That is price control, and is a very slippery slope.. :p

Martha:
I question whether universal coverage would increase cost for everyone, given cost comparisons with countries that provide national healthcare...But I refuse to acknowledge it would be more expensive without some real evidence of that fact.  I also refuse to buy arguments that the care would not be as good unless I am presented with real evidence of that fact. 

This reminds me of the old saw "Is the glass half-full or half-empty?" The same evidence is there but people 'see' it differently. You can ask, 'is it half - empty?' and someone will say,  yes, of course. You can ask 'is it half-full?' and someone will say yes, of course.   :D

If socialized medicine was doing so great, there wouldn't be the need for those private care clinics and hospitals opening up in Canada (see above article I mentioned previously). More and more Canadians are becoming disenchanted with their system. When there are guaranteed payments, there is no incentive to provide better service at a better price, and more efficiently.   8)

You see, the same evidence is there for the both of us, but our premises are different. This is why I wonder if the Health Care Issue will ever truly be 'solved' . If our premise is so different - how can we get to a common solution?
Martha:
Minnesota has done pretty well with using the insurance model and subsidizing health insurance for the low income and those with preexisting conditions.  However, one problem with the model is that when money gets tight, there always is talk of cutting the subsidized insurance to the poor.  States are doing that now with medicaid. 

Putting the distribution of health care into the government's hands will simply tie us to them, and prevents us from having any say about it. Politicians sell their promises of health care to voters in order to get elected, and voters sell their votes for the promise of 'free' health care. Isn't Medicare insolvent? Don't we already have problems with Social Security? The Welfare program has had terrible difficulties over the years... These government programs aren't the answer, in my opinion.  :p :p

Sure we can all use a safety net. But there has to be defined limits to it... (IMO)

Also, most human beings over the age of 36 have "pre-existing conditions" or a propensity to one..  what's the point? The insurers only want to insure healthy people who can guarantee they will stay healthy? It is aggravating..
Martha:
This is one of the reasons I am coming to the conclusion that an insurance model is not going to work.  Insurance companies are not going to cover at reasonable cost the poor and unhealthy without subsidies.  If subsidies are viewed not as an entitlement, then they will be subject to political whims and risks of cuts when state budgets are tight. So, I am coming to the conclusion that it is time to take on the insurance lobby and have national healthcare.   
Yes, you see, our premises are different. I do not see this as an entitlement issue. In fact, I have a hard time with the attitude of "I'm entitled to something, you pay for it." I think that is part of the problem. I have no trouble with a defined and limited safety net. The government is notoriously inefficient. How could this dispensing of health care by the government ever be effective? And if someone else pays for the healthcare, then shouldn't they also decide the parameters? Why would they want to pay for health care for someone who smokes, or is overweight, or eats meat, or doesn't exercise, or drinks heavily, or uses drugs....  I simply do not see it as a panacea.

Rich_in_Tampa
In my experience, people who are prosperous, have enjoyed great health and have avoided chronic illness find the market-driven system to be fine.  When faced with chronic illness, job loss in the face of illness, or even (sometimes) a desire or need to retire, they often change the way they feel.

Often, but not always. You have a point Rich, yet one that could still be debated.

Rich:
Understandable change of heart, after being beaten down time after time after time by a Kafka-esque and failed system - the 25 y.o  insurance company phone receptionist telling them their last drug or procedure wasn't covered, the $125 aspirin in the hospital (to make up for the $2500 MRI scan they had to do for free on the penniless ER patient), the pretty wealthy 75 y.o. scrambling to sell everything so her husband's nursing home bills don't impoverish her, and on and on.
Yes we can't allow ourselves to be charged $125 for an aspirin, and there is no doubt our system is broken. I believe it is our responsibility to check the bills we receive and make noise about over charges.   :eek:  I have done this many times. Also, I have brought in kleenex, vasoline, towellettes, and personal meds when appropriate so that my family member isn't charged like that. It stinks, but we can no longer go into these situations like sheep, believing that the hospital and doctors have our best financial and personal care in mind. This is an illusion, and has been one for a very long time.

It sounds like you are angry and cynical about this, Rich...   :'(  You have certainly painted an inflammatory picture here. BTW, just because a doctor recommends an MRI doesn't mean I buy one. (I hope that "penniless ER patient wasn't a reference to me...)  :)

Rich:
Not any easy problem but the first step is to recognize it exists.
I agree. That is what we are all doing here, is it not?

Rich:
Like it or not, your turn will come (unless you are "lucky" enough to meet a sudden demise after a life of good health).

Well, again, you have a way of writing that is inflammatory. I don't want to get hooked into the picture you have painted, because it is fear-based, and I don't find that to be productive.  None of us know how or when we will die. None of us know the future at all.   And -- you are assuming that I have had no experience with ill health, or severe financial threats, and that is how I am basing my opinion.   :p

No doubt, this whole subject is fearful, and it is easy to get angry and demanding about it. It's easy to slip into the idea that we are 'entitled' to be taken care of. Life is often terrifying.  :eek:

Rich:
I remember Medical Society meetings where even a hint of support for a national level catastrophic care policy would get you shunned.

Well, you can't worry about being 'shunned'.  :p  This happens on both sides of the aisle, wouldn't you agree? Do they walk away from the water cooler when you arrive? Do they no longer respect your professional opinion? Are you no longer invited to their parties or BBQ?  I know it's disappointing when colleagues don't respond with support for an idea we have proposed. -- Have the courage of your convictions, Rich, and may the best ideas 'win.' 

Rich:
Now the shunners are in their 70s, and lobbying for broader Medicare coverage. Live goes in circles, they say.
I personally don't have experience of this particular example, so I will take your word for it.

unclemick2
Don't know what will emerge - but expect a lot of screaming and yelling and nashing of teeth - before something workable happens.
That's what is happening now, no doubt!

Unclelmick:
40% of all medical cost in the U.S. is on the taxpayers nickel in some form right now:confused:
Is that true?

Akaisha

Billy said:
I understand. This is so annyoying about health insurance companies. Having health insurance for the healthy seems a bit silly. The moment one becomes ill and actually uses his health insurance, rates go up or one can find they are no longer insurable. It doesn't matter if you have had no claims, if you cross over a certain age barrier, your rates can go up. Trapping people in unwanted jobs because of a health care policy is more exploitation by the health care insurance companies. Also, to demand that an employer supply HCInsurance is much of the same. We are all being held hostage to this one issue. There is no freedom of movement or freedom of choice.

On the other hand, I don't believe the state should be dictating prices. That is price control, and is a very slippery slope.. :p

If we keep the insurance model, it seems the choices of what to do are limited. We could let the market dictate who is covered and at what cost. That would result in many people not being insured. Currently there is 18 million uninsured in the United States. And this is with some significant regulation of insurance companies. For example, insurance companies have to cover everyone in a group if they offer a group plan.

Another option is to subsidize cost for ill people and poor people, those who insurance companies ordinarily would not cover or not cover at an affordable price. The problem with this solution is that insurance companies will end up wanting a subsidy for anyone who is not perfectly healthy. Already insurance companies when selling individual plans do not want to insure people who aren't perfectly healthly. And insurance companies are raising rates to unaffordable levels for small group plans, making it difficult if not impossible for small employers to provide coverage to employees.

Anothor option is to require insurance companies to insure everyone and regulate the prices they can charge.

Yes, you see, our premises are different. I do not see this as an entitlement issue. In fact, I have a hard time with the attitude of "I'm entitled to something, you pay for it." I think that is part of the problem. I have no trouble with a defined and limited safety net. The government is notoriously inefficient. How could this dispensing of health care by the government ever be effective? And if someone else pays for the healthcare, then shouldn't they also decide the parameters? Why would they want to pay for health care for someone who smokes, or is overweight, or eats meat, or doesn't exercise, or drinks heavily, or uses drugs.... I simply do not see it as a panacea.

When you buy insurance, part of what you are doing in spreading risk around all those who buy into the same insurance plan. If we have national healthcare, we are spreading around the risk to everyone. Yes, government is inefficient. But so are insurance companies. I see national healthcare much like providing education, defense, and infrastructure like roads.

Well said, Martha.

One comment: insurance companies are indeed more efficient than our woeful government bureaucracy. The problem is that the fruits of that efficiency do not get churned back in to benefits and lower premiums, they get taken out as profits or share price. A national program of some sort would have that slack to play with (and admittendly squander in some cases).

My favorite proposal: keep private insurance for the first $10K of legitimate medical care, for those who are not retired or impaired (a deductible, if you will). Let a national plan pick up larger amounts. Subsidize the first $10K as needed for those who are disabled, etc. Some would go out of pocket for that 1st 10K per individual, others would buy insurance for it. Yes, $10K is alot of money, particularly for a large family, but it would not be totally catastrophic for the rest of your life for most folks with an income. Heck - we are already paying $10-12K per year per family for a better private insurance plan.

I'm not smart enough to know all the details but this seems to me to be a reasonable compromise, tweaking the actual numbers as needed. It has been proposed in the past, but I haven't heard much about it recently.

Back
Top Bottom