New Skills You've Been Meaning To Learn

Danny

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I want to get better at guitar and start learning piano.

I used to play piano quite a bit and haven't much at all for years. A few years ago I bought an electronic piano, hoping I would get into it again. I could always use the earphones when practicing. But I haven't got back into it yet. Still want to.

I would like to learn how to play the Sitar, I love Indian music. The odds of this are pretty slim. Who is going to teach me.

I have been trying to learn about digital photography and read the Dummies book.

I enjoy "identification" hobbies, like wildflowers, birds, stars . . . I am good at the wildflowers and just started this year on the birds.

Martha said:
I would like to learn how to play the Sitar, I love Indian music.  The odds of this are pretty slim.  Who is going to teach me. 

Wow, yet another shortcoming of living "upnort" in Minnesota.  Not only do we have numerous private Sitar instructors available here, Sitar classes are even given in the adult ed program of the local jr college.

youbet said:
Wow, yet another shortcoming of living "upnort" in Minnesota. Not only do we have numerous private Sitar instructors available here, Sitar classes are even given in the adult ed program of the local jr college.

Where are you?

OldAgePensioner said:
I'm am endeavouring to be better at SEX. Starting to enjoy the lessons.

If you want to get better at it, stop with the young ones and have an older woman teach you the ropes. :)

Martha said:
If you want to get better at it, stop with the young ones and have an older woman teach you the ropes. :)

B&D ? :D

as a kid i had at least 2 years of piano lessons and 4 of guitar. on piano i couldn't coordinate my two hands and feet. on guitar i could play lead but couldn't coordinate chords. was very frustrating. most everyone in my family plays piano. mom played beautifully even through part of stage 6 (of 7 stages) of alzheimer's disease. we got an upright for her room so she could continue playing.

i also envy people who can draw. i studied architecture for 2 years but my renderings were awful and eventually i gave up. the guy next to me would draw what looked to me like a polaroid picture in a 1/2 hour. i'd be working until 4 in the a.m. and wasn't 1/2 way done.

my current endeavor is learning all this financial stuff. sure hope i do better than i did on the piano.

I've always wanted to learn how to throw pottery. I am just mesmerized by someone that can take a hunk of clay and in a few minutes come out with a perfectly formed bowl or vase. I also want to learn the whole process, from clay to finished product.

Martha, I have a feeling now that OAP is retired he doesn't want ANYONE "telling" him what to do ;) But you're right, he needs to take lessons from the masters instead of the students.

Outtahere said:
I've always wanted to learn how to throw pottery.

When we were first married, DW was really good at it. But she only threw it at me after it had been fired, shipped to a retailer and received as a wedding gift. :)
After 37 years together, she's perfected throwing verbal barbs and given up pottery. :smitten:

"New Skills You've Been Meaning To Learn"

Tae kwon do black belt. Then I'll have to figure out if I want to keep training for 2nd dan, teaching, coaching, & running tournaments. I enjoy teaching but the rest sounds like work.

Cutbacks, floaters, hanging 10, and perhaps someday a helicopter. The moves look so easy when you read about them in a book...

"Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain."

Betty Edwards also has a book out on color. It turns out that color actually has physics, rules, & procedures-- just like engineering! Spouse will still be in charge of the décor decisions, but at least I'll understand what the heck she's talking about. Or maybe I'll discover that she's been making it up as she goes along...

Figuring out how to learn a different language. I used to be highly proficient in French-- naval technical spoken & written-- for all the good that's done me in the Pacific fleet. So I'm not talking about learning a different language, I'm talking about learning & understanding the system by which I can best learn a new language. I'm intrigued by spoken & written Hawaiian, Japanese, & Thai. I'm probably going to find out that it's all a lot of drudgery & immersion work with a lot of memorization, but that's what it took to make it through nuclear engineering.

Grandparenting. No hurry on this one, the kid is only 13. But, as experienced as I am at coping with one of the world's more frustrating teenagers, I would like to understand what puts that goofy look in her grandfathers' eyes.

Outtahere said:
I've always wanted to learn how to throw pottery. I am just mesmerized by someone that can take a hunk of clay and in a few minutes come out with a perfectly formed bowl or vase. I also want to learn the whole process, from clay to finished product.
I managed to do it, so can you...just take a class get some tools and keep doing it...took a while on the wheel to get a bowl - much longer to get a cylinder, the fun part is glazing and then seeing what you get after the firing...did wonders for my ego....I ended up with loads but the kids keep asking for pieces :) - makes great presents...

Martha said:
Where are you?

NE Illinois.  And just kidding about any negative feelings concerning "upnort."  We love Minnesota and do serious damage to your walleye population every year and love canoeing your lakes and rivers.  But I'm a big city boy and Lake Wobegon, while absolutely wonderful in the spring, summer and fall, would drive me nuts in the winter.  So we choose to live down here and visit up there.

Here's some Sitar info for ya:

http://www.sitaremporium.com/

This place is all the way across town from me. But, I think they're the ones who provide the instructors for the adult ed classes in Sitar at the local jr college, just down the street.

youbet

MJ said:

No kidding. I see some old lady coming at me with ropes and I'm hightailing it. :LOL:

I had alllways wanted to learn to play the piano. Got a keyboard and some software that plugged into the midi port on my laptop. Started when I first ER'ed. Had fun with it and got through about a weeks worth of lessons. Then the software had me do a little "concert" for fake people on the screen, who would applaud if you did well and sit quietly if you didnt. It was at that point that the software became unusually picky about my timing of playing the music. Very quiet crowd. Then it told me that I sucked and had to redo all the lessons again. I went through it ten times with the same results. It wouldnt let me proceed until I "passed".

That was the end of that.

Piano lessons behind me, i'm learning how to be a parent. Its a little harder than piano but a lot more rewarding...:)

So then you've finally learned the truth and its time to pay off the mortgage and convert the rest of your funds to gold?

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
So then you've finally learned the truth and its time to pay off the mortgage and convert the rest of your funds to gold?
I'm thinking gold plated dryer sheets . . . or maybe a golden kayak. :)

I'm working on learning flatpick/old-time/bluegrass guitar. I can play some basic rhythms and melodies but when I listen to the experts (Doc Watson, Clarence White, Tony Rice) it sounds like they are playing at twice the tempo. It's a race against time.... muscle memory vs. fatigue/age.

Nope, an old takamine (martin copy) that i've had for 30 years. I thought about trading it in for a nice D-18 or D-28 but all my songs are inside that old tak. In any case, the dog can't hear the difference.

I still want to buy a ocean worthy Kayak and explore the coastline near my house, I don't know if that's a skill, but an activity that I really want to start soon. Really, not trying to kill the thread! I know it's been posted in various threads with various levels of seriousness, but what is the best ocean going kayak? I've swam in the same ocean many times, several in triathlon events, and I've always been good in boats/not fearful, and been pretty decent with a paddle, so with that in mind, I guess I need a kayak ideal for a competent beginner.

Keep meaning on buying a guitar, my daughter will soon get bored with me singing a capella...

JB said:
Nope, an old takamine (martin copy) that i've had for 30 years.  I thought about trading it in for a nice D-18 or D-28 but all my songs are inside that old tak.  In any case, the dog can't hear the difference.

Very good.  The Gibson J45 DW (then girlfriend) bought me for college graduation in 1969 is living in its case under the bed in the guest room.  Maybe one of these days...............  It's really been a long time.

BTW, there is quite a bit of bluegrass activity here in NE Illinois. Actually, a lot of live acoustic music in general. 

youbet said:
Very good. The Gibson J45 DW (then girlfriend) bought me for college graduation in 1969 is living in its case under the bed in the guest room. Maybe one of these days............... It's really been a long time.
youbet - That was some girlfriend you had back then - good taste, must have had some bucks and liked you enough to get quality. ;)
I had to buy my own :D - got a Larrivee OM-03R out of Vancouver and son has a Martin J-15 - had to buy that too!

Yep, she sure was/is.  And even now, after just celebrating wedding anniversay #36, still no complaints from me. 

Gee, all this guitar talk is starting to get me interested again..........  With ER only 7.8 weeks away, maybe I should send away for some new strings and one of those new, fancy electronic tuning gizmos.

The instrument I wish I had back is the Gibson Mastertone 5-string with Scruggs pegs I foolishly sold to a friend back in the 70's.  ah well.....it seemed like a good idea at the time.

The larrivee and the Martin J-15......  very nice.  Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom