I wonder what % of FIREs are Introverts?

Surfdaddy

Recycles dryer sheets
I saw the topic about isolation.

As most of you know, introverts are those who gain more peace from being alone more than most of the population. They need time to think, reflect. Studies have shown introverts have more active frontal lobes (!). It is thought that about 25% of the population are introverted to some degree.

I wonder if the percent is larger among those of us who wish to retire early? My presumption is that the more extroverted "get more" out of working than the introverted...

ooooooooooops introverts...sorry i thought it said perverts...
wrong goup for me here ha ha ha

In past lives, I was subjected to numerous tests to determine my personality type, motivation and work style.  I remember one at a very, very large oil company where the psychologist came and talked to me for an hour after the test.  I thought that was strange that so much time would be spent with everyone that took the test to review the results with them.  It turned out I was the only one he talked with.  I never did figure out why he came and talked with me.  My Myers-Briggs was off the scale INTJ.  In Kingdomality, I was solidly "Merchant" when the entire rest of my company's senior management were "Prime Ministers."  No wonder I never seemed to get along with them.

Basically, I think all of them are hyped. But, someone with my personality type would say that.

... I tested INTJ .... maybe another poll and a link to the test is in order ....

Crap

Just been informed - I have to dress up to go visit - inorder to get my 'free' Easter dinner. INTJ - :confused:?Jimmy Buffet shirt and cargo pants:confused:?

heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh - Hey! - expected over 70 here again.

Sorry, as the original poster I should have done some searching. Apparently what I thought of as a unique and innovative theory is already well covered!

Still, the links above indicate my theory largely correct - that ERs are more likely to be introverted! As an INTJ myself, I fit the mold.

I appreciate the feedback!

Surfdaddy said:
. . .Still, the links above indicate my theory largely correct - that ERs are more likely to be introverted! . . .

Well . . . you might want to look more closely at the data and the conclusions. First, the Meyers-Briggs test is of questionable validity. The theory that all personalities can be captured by four independent variables is without any proof or justification. That these four characteristics are independent is similarly unvalidated. Whether or not the test(s) actually measure these four characteristics accurately is without proof. The validity of the results are even more questionable when not administered by a professional. I don't recall the exact numbers now, but test validity is only about 60% when self-administered. Another interesting point is that the introvert-extrovert continuum of the test does not correspond to the definition of those terms as they are commonly used in the english language.

Next, there's the minimal data that was collected for intercst's study. It is not representative of the overall population. It is not statistically weighted in an attempt to normalize the tiny sample to the actual population. It was collected on a completely anonymous volunteer basis -- not a good way to assure accuracy or randomness.

This subject comes up fairly regularly and usually ends up with a bunch of people posting their Meyers-Briggs INTJ label and confirming that they are early retired or on the road to that. It seems to make a lot of them feel good about themselves and their retirement choices. I guess that's a good thing. :)

sgeeeee said:
Well . . . you might want to look more closely at the data and the conclusions. First, the Meyers-Briggs test is of questionable validity. The theory that all personalities can be captured by four independent variables is without any proof or justification. That these four characteristics are independent is similarly unvalidated. Whether or not the test(s) actually measure these four characteristics accurately is without proof. The validity of the results are even more questionable when not administered by a professional. I don't recall the exact numbers now, but test validity is only about 60% when self-administered. Another interesting point is that the introvert-extrovert continuum of the test does not correspond to the definition of those terms as they are commonly used in the english language.

Next, there's the minimal data that was collected for intercst's study. It is not representative of the overall population. It is not statistically weighted in an attempt to normalize the tiny sample to the actual population. It was collected on a completely anonymous volunteer basis -- not a good way to assure accuracy or randomness.

This subject comes up fairly regularly and usually ends up with a bunch of people posting their Meyers-Briggs INTJ label and confirming that they are early retired or on the road to that. It seems to make a lot of them feel good about themselves and their retirement choices. I guess that's a good thing. :)

You're just mad because you're not a cool INTJ...

I agree with sgeee that the Myers Briggs isn't the world's most respectable/respected test, although the lay public loves it. I think it's scary that so many businesses use it for personnel purposes.

But there's no question that I'm introverted. The INTJ profile that I tested with does seem to fit, but in some ways I hate being categorized as a type. But the introversion trait is definitely there. Not shy---can talk to people. But being with people is very draining for me. Staff meetings and social functions are the aboslute worst. Don't want to work as part of a team.

It's not work that I object to (will sit and work at my computer for hours during ER writing books that earn little money); it's the stress from dealing with people. Extroverts on the other hand, should thrive on the social interaction and may not want to quit work and lose this....

I think the personality test thing is kind of fun and probably accurate. It does seem as if people who test as introverts think they are introverts.

The problem is that such a test likely has no predictive power--it cannot tell how any individual might behave. So the test can be taken for fun, but employers shouldn't use it as a screening tool.

I used to always test as ESTJ (though not heavily "E"), but over time I am becoming more of an introvert. I'm coming up ISTJ now. I am realizing that I like being around people in small groups, but I really love having alone time. I took the test again and ISTJ it is. When I read the description, it's definitely me.

I did a search on ISTJ in this forum, and there are a lot of us, judging by the informal "poll" last September.

CJ

Martha said:
I think the personality test thing is kind of fun and probably accurate. 
But clinical psychologists disagree with you -- not about the fun part. I have never seen a paper addressing the view of professionals on the fun aspect of the test. :)

It does seem as if people who test as introverts think they are introverts.
That seems like a stretch. Is this based on the sample of posters at ER boards who have bothered to post on the subject? Has anyone really collected any valid data on whether people who test introvert on the test think they are introverts? Although would you really expect people to post, "I tested I and I don't believe I'm an introvert"? Then there is the problem that the I (introvert) rating of the test is not supposed to correlate to what is normally referred to as introvert behavior. So even if someone did test I and not believe they were an introvert, they might simply have read a detailed article about the test and discovered that, in fact, the test rank of I does not imply that they are a social introvert.

But, the fun thing does trump reason here. As the sole cult follower of *****, JWR, would say, "Have fun."
:D :D :) :D

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
I'm actually not sure which one followed which.

Are you kidding? hosuc was the founder of the Fnancial Freedom Community. I've seen him post that fact. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

But he really isnt a numbers guy and theres all that research, playing with each others tools, etc...

Back
Top Bottom