Paying your taxes while travelling

MJ

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Since this is tax season and i'll begin travelling within a couple of months. I was wondering if there was an easier way to pay estimated quarterly or 1040 return taxes?
So I did a bit of searching and found EFTPS website which will let you electronically pay your US estimated quarterly taxes for free.
When I called customer service, they couldn't answer whether I could use this service to also pay the tax due from a 1040 return.

Of course, I still have to figure out how to pay state taxes if any is due.

Anyone use this service?

just starting to study this myself. not familiar with eftps but thanx for posting it. while doing taxes on turbotax this year an advertisement came up for one of their products which i believe serves a similar function. here is link to it
www.estimatedtaxes.com

lazygood4nothinbum said:
just starting to study this myself. not familiar with eftps but thanx for posting it. while doing taxes on turbotax this year an advertisement came up for one of their products which i believe serves a similar function. here is link to it
www.estimatedtaxes.com

Thanks. The one difference I see is that EFTPS, a US government agency, is free.

YES! EFTPS is the way to go. Direct line to the US treasury. No fees or anything. Fairly easy to set up (although it does involve some initial US mail to get passwords, etc.).

Gosh - the IRS just raided my bank account this morning! (but only took what they were owed).

Been doing it this way for almost 3 years now. So much easier and more secure than mail.

We also file electronically.

Now if only we could get all our tax statements electronically - none of this forms sent in the mail cr$p - I'd be a much happy camper.

Audrey

MJ said:
So I did a bit of searching and found EFTPS website which will let you electronically pay your US estimated quarterly taxes for free.
When I called customer service, they couldn't answer whether I could use this service to also pay the tax due from a 1040 return.
Yes, we've used it for a couple years now.

Estimated taxes are painless. You can even schedule payments for the whole year if you wish.

We usually pay our tax bill with our TurboTax e-filing, but you can also pay via EFTPS. I've never used it for that purpose but the menu buttons appear to let you do so...

EFTPS looks great and I found that Minnesota also lets you pay estimates electronically. Anyone know if Arizona has something similar?

Ditto on AZ. Will probably need it after I settle there later this year.

Martha, you thinking getting a 2nd home there?

Nords said:
We usually pay our tax bill with our TurboTax e-filing, but you can also pay via EFTPS.  I've never used it for that purpose but the menu buttons appear to let you do so...
Hmmmm - through Turbotax? We e-filed through Turbotax, but I set up the 1040 payment directly through EFTPS.

My husband takes care of Turbotax, and I take care of the EFTPS stuff, so I haven't actually looked at the Turbotax buttons.

Audrey

audreyh1 said:
Hmmmm - through Turbotax?  We e-filed through Turbotax, but I set up the 1040 payment directly through EFTPS. 
My husband takes care of Turbotax, and I take care of the EFTPS stuff, so I haven't actually looked at the Turbotax buttons.
When you get to the TurboTax step for e-filing, it also sets up an EFT from your checking account with the IRS. When the return is accepted by the IRS, the EFT is also effective.

Our Hawaii tax returns, when filed electronically, also accept payment via EFT. If we have to file paper then we have to mail a check with the paper return.

If for some reaons TurboTax can't file the federal return electronically (like a huge Schedule D) then you can still send in a paper return and make the payment via EFTPS.

OK - We have done it that way (actually received a refund) - but it doesn't actually use your EFTPS account - it just does a direct electronic transfer to/from your bank account.

The reason I go into the EFTPS system for all payments is that it keeps a nice payment history for you. I like having a record of all my payments in one spot.

Audrey

We just set up a mail service and residency in Florida when we were travelling and files taxes based on that address. In fact I still maintain the same address to this day and file taxes there each year.

This is how the RV'ers and Boaties do it all the time.

No such address as Boat "Bewdy II" Dock 407 St. Marten Netherland Antilles.

Or, RV "GO4LIFE", Park pad 407, Wherever.

SWR

MJ said:

Thanks MJ - I didn't know about this, but I think I'm going to give it a try soon for estimated tax payments.

For regular taxes though, I've been using TurboTax Online (small discount through Vanguard) for the past few years, and so it's been all done online with direct deposit (or withdrawal) from my checking account.

Sorry to pile on, but I use EFTPS too and it's terrific. As a matter of fact, it almost restores some faith in the US govt. (of course they perform when it comes to getting money from you)

I just set my estimates once a year, and it does them on auto pilot. It's really a great system

Back
Top Bottom