VG - Commodities Fund?

veritasophia

Recycles dryer sheets
Is there a fund or a group of funds that cover commodities at Vanguard? They offer PCRIX and PCRDX, but both have a 1.24% expense ratio :p. I'm thinking of adding commodities for greater diversification in the future. If not VG, some other low-fee mutual fund Co?

PS: I asked a similar question in another thread but it wasn't really relevant to the topic so I'm posting this new thread.

I own PCRIX through Vanguard's brokerage service at a 0.74% ER.

Cb

Cb said:
I own PCRIX through Vanguard's brokerage service at a 0.74% ER.
Oops! Must of looked at PCRDX twice. Thanks for the correction. I guess PCRIX is the cheapest as far as commodities go right?

Cb, would you share your % allocation in PCRIX?

How has that fund be doing?
I don't think it has moved much over the last year

What do you think about it going forward?

Veritasophia said:
Oops!  Must of looked at PCRDX twice.  Thanks for the correction.  I guess PCRIX is the cheapest as far as commodities go right?

Cb, would you share your % allocation in PCRIX?

It was 15% of our portfolio when I bought in a year ago, and it was the first real "diversifier" added to our mostly US & Int'l Total Market indexes. Returns and payroll additions to the other classes have shrunken that to 12.6%. I'm content to leave it as-is...when I retire altogether later this year (I'm part time now) I'll do a 401K rollover to an IRA, at that point we'll be able to diversify more broadly, and PCRIX will have a smaller role in the portfolio, perhaps ~10%.

When both my wife and I have retired (and rolled out 401K's) our portfolio might look something like this, give or take a few percent here and there depending on tax consequences, Admiral class availability, etc, etc:

US Equities:
9% Large Growth
9% Large Value
9% Small Value
9% REITS

Internat’l Equities:
9% Europe
9% Far East
9% Emerging
9% Int’l Value

9% Commodity Futures Index

9% Short term Bond Index (gradually increasing as we age)
9% TIPS (gradually increasing as we age)

1% Old Guitar Amps

We've got decent pensions & SSI coming in the future, so I'm comfortable with the heavy equity allocation.

Cb

i put 5% split between pcrdx ,,gld gold etf and fidelity select energy fsesx.........

Sweet portfolio CB! Raddr-pages.com mentions that his analysis suggests that some gold/gold equity might be a good diversifier even if hold the commodities fund also. Cheers!

ben said:
Sweet portfolio CB! Raddr-pages.com mentions that his analysis suggests that some gold/gold equity might be a good diversifier even if hold the commodities fund also. Cheers!

I think of the amps, guitars, and motorcycles as my hard assets. Of course my my wife has some difficulty with the concept, but this high falutin' MPT theory isn't for everybody, is it?

Cb

Gerald said:
How has that fund be doing?
I don't think it has moved much over the last year

What do you think about it going forward?

Recent (e.g. last quarter) performance isn't relevant. After all, nobody would be down on an S&P 500 index fund because it had a crappy quarter. The point is diversification.

Back
Top Bottom