do u love your job? r u there because of security and benefit?

Enuff2Eat

Full time employment: Posting here.
hi all,

just got a couple question for you. Do u love your job? or are you there because it's "safe and secure" and more important, it pays the bills.

for me, i don't hate my job but something telling me that this job is NOT fullfilling but i am too chicken to quit, too deep into the system, too old to redo my resume, too content and got too many excuses.

No wonder i enjoy this forum so much. seeing so many young, innovative and successful people taking early retirement. i envy you all (jk)

enuff

Actually, I really like my job. It is interesting, fulfilling and rewarding. But it eats up all of my time and most of my energy.

While driving to work this morning, I realized that I really miss canoeing. I miss spending the whole day on the boat with my Dad fishing in Barnegat Bay. I miss going on multi-hour hikes. I miss camping trips. I miss the luxury of sleeping as long as I like. I miss the summers when I was a kid and pretty much spent most of every day fishing the beautiful local lakes. I miss being able to sit down and read a book for as long as I wish. I also am painfully well aware that I am reneging on a strong call I feel to help others, yet there seems to be absolutely nothing I can do about it.

There's a lot to life besides the job, no matter how good you think the job is.

I do not hate the nature of my job. That is, I enjoy what I do. However, there is one aspect that I do not like - lack of mobility or advancement. In order to move up, I would have to take on a different role - more PR and kissing up. Either I am not willing to do it or simply do not have the skills to do so. Anyway, it pays the bill and provides good benefits -- can't really complain too much. I have thought about going somewhere else, but grass is not greener elsewhere.

brewer12345 said:
Actually, I really like my job.  It is interesting, fulfilling and rewarding.  But it eats up all of my time and most of my energy.

While driving to work this morning, I realized that I really miss canoeing.  I miss spending the whole day on the boat with my Dad fishing in Barnegat Bay.  I miss going on multi-hour hikes.  I miss camping trips.  I miss the luxury of sleeping as long as I like.  I miss the summers when I was a kid and pretty much spent most of every day fishing the beautiful local lakes.  I miss being able to sit down and read a book for as long as I wish.  I also am painfully well aware that I am reneging on a strong call I feel to help others, yet there seems to be absolutely nothing I can do about it.

Wow, your post is making me think hard about ERing....or at least take some vacation:) What is your planning time line to ER to pursue your 'misses' and your 'help others'.

Life is NOT fair

sometime uninteresting, unfulfilling, unrewarding job is the one that pays the bills. so i say you're one lucky man Brewer. i don't know of too many people says the same thing.

enuff

brewer12345 said:
Actually, I really like my job. It is interesting, fulfilling and rewarding. But it eats up all of my time and most of my energy.

While driving to work this morning, I realized that I really miss canoeing. I miss spending the whole day on the boat with my Dad fishing in Barnegat Bay. I miss going on multi-hour hikes. I miss camping trips. I miss the luxury of sleeping as long as I like. I miss the summers when I was a kid and pretty much spent most of every day fishing the beautiful local lakes. I miss being able to sit down and read a book for as long as I wish. I also am painfully well aware that I am reneging on a strong call I feel to help others, yet there seems to be absolutely nothing I can do about it.

Enuff2Eat said:
Life is NOT fair

sometime uninteresting, unfulfilling, unrewarding job is the one that pays the bills.  so i say you're one lucky man Brewer.  i don't know of too many people says the same thing.

enuff

I don't disagree. I lucked into this one after a number of years working jobs I hated. But I'd still rather be ER'd. The lifestyle would be a lot better if I just didn't have to work so MUCH.

Canadian Girl said:
Wow, your post is making me think hard about ERing....or at least take some vacation:)  What is your planning time line to ER to pursue your 'misses' and your 'help others'.

Years away, I am afraid.

I don't LOVE my job, but it is as good as a job gets, notwithstanding I have made more money in my life. Current job is work at home. I have a few managers, some of which live in other states. They IM or email if they need something, otherwise I log onto a website for my work. Some days it's very busy. Some days I'm mostly gardening and doing work around the house. I have made more doing similar work but used to work nearly every waking hour of the day, so right now I am VERY happy with my situation. Trade a few stocks and watch my investments while I'm at the computer anyway. When the workload picks up a lot, as I expect it will, I may like it somewhat less, but short of not working at all, I don't think it gets much better than this.

I tolerate the job, my boss, my co-workers and the company. After doing this s$it for 33 years it gets old after a while. ER is 14 months away. I am already planning my first 5 years of ER activities while I slowly mentally check out of this environment.

I don't hate my job...I am really just very very tired of doing it. I am here because I choose to be. I am paying off some stuff and the paycheck is doing that very well. I am also saving for RE and getting the house stuff done with my wage income instead of my investments. My wife has to wait for her paid for medical and small pension so I stay at it until she can leave.

I actually like to work and am a bit of a driver, so I dont think I will ever stop doing something even when I am finacially independent. I think my issue is with beaucracy and politics. Being an INTJ, I don’t think that I will ever excel at the politics so I really need to cultivate some business ops. to take advantage of my analytical mind ;)

SteveR said:
I don't hate my job...I am really just very very tired of doing it. 

SteveR - are you saying you are bored? No challenges? Perhaps you can make the next 14 months alittle more pleasant by offering to do other things at work? 14 months is a lot of time to be very very tired of doing it. Just a thought.

Canadian Girl said:
SteveR - are you saying you are bored?  No challenges?  Perhaps you can make the next 14 months alittle more pleasant by offering to do other things at work?  14 months is a lot of time to be very very tired of doing it.  Just a thought.

In my position it does not work that way. There is my job, a demotion, or the highway. I have been tired and bored for many years so another 14 months is no big deal. I have had enough challenges in my career and I have turned down two promotions because I don't want the additional stress and BS that would come with the higher level job. My department has doubled in size and complexity over the past 3 years so I don't have an issue with not being challenged...just tired of 11-12 hour days; tired of management BS (even if I am one of them) and fed up with the BS associated with the regulatory aspects of the business. We are heavily regulated by both US and international agencies and part of my job is dealing with them. It gets very old after a while.

i just work to fill the time between weekends!

brewer12345 said:
Actually, I really like my job.  It is interesting, fulfilling and rewarding.  But it eats up all of my time and most of my energy.

I used to say the very same thing. Now I leave out the first sentence and just say my job "eats up all of my time and most of my energy." Although I recognize that I have been very fortunate in many ways to have the job that I do, the long hours and the ever increasing demands are getting old. And while I'm not yet ready to quit, I often think it wouldn't be so bad to get laid off. I could make do with what I have now if I had to. Maybe what I need is a catalyst to make it happen sooner than my risk adverse nature currently advises.

Back
Top Bottom