I hope this guy isn't any of you!

Cool Dood

Full time employment: Posting here.
He does go a bit overboard however he does have a great point...

"Most Americans just want more. We need to spend less time buying stock and more time taking stock," he said.

That - Your Money or Your Life balanced kind of thinking will take you far.

However you don't have to eat day old donuts or sit on junkyard furniture to apply those principles's. Contrary to popular thinking, being somewhat frugal doesn't mean that you have to turn into a weird-o.

LOL! Being a "professional cheapskate" requires a lot of creativity and resourcefulness. I can see how it might become addicting. You're kind of "beating the system" and I'm sure one feels quite a rush. Learning to make do with less also generates self-confidence. It's an exercise in efficacy.

Of course it's the all-or-nothing-thinking that confuses people into thinking that any attempt to live more lightly on the planet, or live below your means automatically means clipping coupons, being a cheapskate, etc., and ultimately feeling deprived. Pretty silly.

Audrey

Yeager sees himself not only as a miser laureate but also as someone who is "living light" on the planet. "There's a social stigma in this culture to be a cheapskate, when in reality he represents some of the solution we need to incorporate into this issue of trash," said Tracy Bowen, the foundation's executive director. "Being a cheapskate doesn't mean you're not generous. Buying and having isn't necessarily being a good American. He's a model for us."

Tracy also makes some great points. I am often blown away by how deeply ingrained the attitudes are that being a good American = high consumption.

Audrey

Hmm...french toast stuffed with cream cheese and fruit with real maple syrup.

My breakfast cost a lot more to make.

Shitload better than an old donut with jelly in it, and probably less time to make...

I kinda like his idea of a "fiscal fast," once in a while not spending any money for a week.

Wonder what happened to his wife. :confused:

Maybe theres a rule that, by weight, you have to put as much INTO the potomac as you take out?

Martha said:
I kinda like his idea of a "fiscal fast," once in a while not spending any money for a week.

Wonder what happened to his wife.  :confused:

He ate her.

Ha

He didn't make any mention of recycling dryer sheets.

We could all take a few lessons from this guy. I do admit however that injecting jelly into day old donuts is a false economy. Donuts are lousy for your health whether fresh or day old.

Back
Top Bottom