There must be something wrong with me.

dumpster56

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am interviewing for jobs in NC, this past week and getting offers.

Full time teaching even a full time retail gig!

I guess my resume and cover letters were good.

Anyway my idea that I was to sell the house in NJ take the large proceeds and plow it into a new home in NC and get a 33,000 dollar pension with a very small mortgage and work part time but alas I still seem to think like a working stiff.

What am I doing wrong?

Maybe it is the fear of leaving a job that I get paid near 100,000 a year for 33,000. But I also leave a 2,200 a month payment for a 400 dollar a month payment.

I dunno, but I do like my options.

Oh by the by the house is under contract and the closing is at the end of the month! Yippie, I will put in my early retirement papers the day AFTER I have my 300,000 proceeds from the sale of the NJ house. My retirement date is Dec 1, 2006!

newguy88 said:
Maybe it is the fear of leaving a job that I get paid near 100,000 a year for 33,000. But I also leave a 2,200 a month payment for a 400 dollar a month payment.

Maybe looking at how much income taxes you'll be saving might help?

just_hatched said:
Maybe looking at how much income taxes you'll be saving might help?

Yes

I wonder, if it might have to do with my work ethic. I was delivering newspapers at 9 years of age when the older kid was doing something and asked me, or that I would show up at the sweet shoppe on a sunday morning and help put the sunday new york times together at 10 years of age.

I always have been working, and as a teacher usually 3 or 4 different jobs the same year.

Heck this school year I have worked as a painter track coach and summer trash hauler!

It sounds like you're going to have to ease into ER, newguy. You might go into shock if you go cold turkey. :)

newguy88 said:
I am interviewing for j*bs in NC, this past week and getting offers.

Full time teaching even a full time retail gig!

I guess my resume and cover letters were good.

Anyway my idea that I was to sell the house in NJ take the large proceeds and plow it into a new home in NC and get a 33,000 dollar pension with a very small mortgage and work part time but alas I still seem to think like a working stiff.

What am I doing wrong?

Maybe it is the fear of leaving a j*b that I get paid near 100,000 a year for 33,000. But I also leave a 2,200 a month payment for a 400 dollar a month payment.

I dunno, but I do like my options.

Oh by the by the house is under contract and the closing is at the end of the month! Yippie, I will put in my early retirement papers the day AFTER I have my 300,000 proceeds from the sale of the NJ house. My retirement date is Dec 1, 2006!

You are just afraid of leaving something you've been doing for many years, a sense of security.

Its all a state of mind.  You'll get your 33K pension, your health bennies, have a paid up house.  You'll be ok, and happier than teahing in Newark where you hate it.

Im in a similar situation, but no one at work knows Im going, save for a few good friends.

My house is sold and will close early July, Im going out to Vegas with wife, then will return to "close things up at job here" in NYC.

Of course Im nervous and depressed, but intellectually I know that I'll be ok.  I have a 30K pension kicking in in a year, with health bennies and enough assets that will give me a SWR of 3.5% giving me another 20K.  I will be ok.

I look at it as an adventure!

I will be able to go to a smorgesbord of jobs, and try them out, get fired, move on to the next and not take it seriously.

When I tire, I will simply go back up the hill to my house in Vegas and sit by the pool.

Life does not have to be complex, Im getting rid of alot of stuff, plan on having my cars a long time, stop pissing away money on stuff I dont need and just buy things that are useful to me and will enhance me.

Basic needs are cared for, so its time to go back to childhood, revisit dreams and see what I really want to do.  Its normal to be nervous about leaving a secure job, but you need very little and if you are doing it, then it is the right thing.

You'll be ok
jug

jug said:
You are just afraid of leaving something you've been doing for many years, a sense of security.

Its all a state of mind. You'll get your 33K pension, your health bennies, have a paid up house. You'll be ok, and happier than teahing in Newark where you hate it.

Im in a similar situation, but no one at work knows Im going, save for a few good friends.

My house is sold and will close early July, Im going out to Vegas with wife, then will return to "close things up at job here" in NYC.

Of course Im nervous and depressed, but intellectually I know that I'll be ok. I have a 30K pension kicking in in a year, with health bennies and enough assets that will give me a SWR of 3.5% giving me another 20K. I will be ok.

I look at it as an adventure!

I will be able to go to a smorgesbord of jobs, and try them out, get fired, move on to the next and not take it seriously.

When I tire, I will simply go back up the hill to my house in Vegas and sit by the pool.

Life does not have to be complex, Im getting rid of alot of stuff, plan on having my cars a long time, stop pissing away money on stuff I dont need and just buy things that are useful to me and will enhance me.

Basic needs are cared for, so its time to go back to childhood, revisit dreams and see what I really want to do. Its normal to be nervous about leaving a secure job, but you need very little and if you are doing it, then it is the right thing.

You'll be ok
jug

Hey jug, I close on my house the end of June and down south we go.

I will be back here in september and work till Xmas, Heck I have a years amount of sick time so a few extra sick days might be used. Then the fun jobs, Like the Curb your Enthusiasm show when Larry David decided to sell CARS at a Toyota dealer!!

Hey it really is all good!

I understand your anxiety.  I did the same thing last August, retiring early from a government job.  I've got a $37K pension, and health benefits, payments on my condo are $414.  Money wise things are great.  Now I'm working part time in retail and enjoying it.  Good luck on your upcoming move and retirement.  You'll be fine and will enjoy it!

Bill

Back
Top Bottom