Municipal Bond ETF?

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Anyone know of a national short to intermediate term municipal bond ETF?

Thanks,
Ha

There aren't any (just double checked with M* and they show none)

saluki9 said:
There aren't any (just double checked with M* and they show none)

Thanks, Saluki. What an odd thing to overlook on the part of the ETF packagers. Municipals is an area where institutional size and skill in trading is a big help. I believe Vanguard has a low cost mutual fund, but my account is at Fidelity so I preferred an ETF.

Ha

Not quite the same, but there are a ton of closed-end funds on www.etfconnect.com, just search under "muni" and you'll get several hundred that have municipial in the name.  They even sort them by which state they're tax exempt from as well. However, most of these are probably leveraged with preferred stock, so be careful.

HaHa said:
Thanks, Saluki. What an odd thing to overlook on the part of the ETF packagers. Municipals is an area where institutional size and skill in trading is a big help. I believe Vanguard has a low cost mutual fund, but my account is at Fidelity so I preferred an ETF.

Ha

Ha, surely Fido has a short muni fund or muni MMF, no?

Damn nested quotes. When the hell did these things start showing up?

brewer12345 said:
HaHa said:

Ha

Damn nested quotes. When the hell did these things start showing up?

Upon further investigation, I can see why you aren't impressed by what Fidelity has to offer.

I'm not impressed by their short term muni offerings.

brewer12345 said:

Yes they do Brewer. I use the Fidelity Mun MMF for parking money in my taxable accounts. The exp ratios are around .5%, so I hoped to find something cheaper at least for investments I planned to keep.

Ha

HaHa said:
brewer12345 said:

Yes they do Brewer. I use the Fidelity Mun MMF for parking money in my taxable accounts. The exp ratios are around .5%, so I hoped to find something cheaper at least for investments I planned to keep.

Ha

Vanguard Tax Exempt MM is yielding 3.26 with a .13% ER

In your case depending on your holding period and the amount you want to hold it might be cheaper to pay the transaction fee and buy the Vanguard fund. Or just move some money over to them.

saluki9 said:
Vanguard Tax Exempt MM is yielding 3.26 with a .13% ER

In your case depending on your holding period and the amount you want to hold it might be cheaper to pay the transaction fee and buy the Vanguard fund.  Or just move some money over to them.

Yeah, I think it is really hard to beat the VG muni funds.  Alternatively, you could buy individual munis, but be prepared to buy and hold.

Ha, et al., here is a nice site that keeps track of the highest yielding muni MMFs: http://www.imoneynet.com/retailTaxFreeMMF.htm

Looks like Alpine is tops.

Back
Top Bottom